cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please enable wifi calling

Ok I complained to public Mobile and Telus last summer to enable wifi calling and posted it and no one cares. Except now we have an emergency! I commented in Courtney bc I had no reception and now I cannot even call my mom in the middle of East Vancouver. But my wife on Koodo had Wi-Fi calling?!!  This is bull. Enable the software please so I can call my mom on her landline. Permanently too not for a month. This is a safety issue. Public already has no service and 3G speeds. This is enough of of a comprise. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Re: Please enable wifi calling

@Mreekster WiFi is an internet service. To enable WiFi, go to settings - Network & Internet - WiFi- - select the name of your Wi-Fi and enter your password - save it.

If you mean data, what is the make and model of your phone?  Which plan are you on? And if you log into your self service account, do you have data? These are PM's APN settings. Compare them to yours, or post yours here, and we can take a look at them.

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Mreekster

Are you saying that public Mobile has wifi calling? 

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No, the OP means wifi calling.  Some providers allow calls to be made when connected to wifi, rather than on their networks.

Mreekster

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster all smartphones have the ability to connect to WiFi which is provided by your internet service provider. See my first post on how to connect to it.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster 

Do you mean wifi assist calling?

Although I have no idea what it is, how to set it up, or when it could be used 😙😙 

In the meantime use Skype or between Apple products use FaceTime Audio. I use the latter all the time to call my brother from Maple Ridge to Nanaimo and a friend in Anaheim. It’s free, no minutes lost but requires internet. Feel free to use FaceTime audio/video too. But not to early in the morning😚😚

FaceTime by far is a superior product vs Skype. 

I found this, if it helps. BUT NOT REALLY!!

About Wi-Fi Assist

With iOS 9 and later, you can use Wi-Fi Assist to automatically switch to cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. 

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data. For most users, this should only be a small percentage higher than previous usage. If you have questions about your data usage, learn more about managing your cellular data or contact Apple Support.

You can use Wi-Fi Assist with any iOS device with iOS 9 or later, except for these models: iPhone 4s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi+Cellular, iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular, and iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster  install Hangouts dialer or similar app to make calls for free across NA using your WiFI connection.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

About Wi-Fi Assist

With iOS 9 and later, you can use Wi-Fi Assist to automatically switch to cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. 

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data. For most users, this should only be a small percentage higher than previous usage. If you have questions about your data usage, learn more about managing your cellular data or contact Apple Support.

You can use Wi-Fi Assist with any iOS device with iOS 9 or later, except for these models: iPhone 4s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi+Cellular, iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular, and iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular. 

Need Help? Let's chat.