cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone useage on Usage History doesn't add up

wendykev
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why does Public Mobile say I've used 15 minutes of my phone minutes when I've used 7.96 minutes (yes, I added them up on my View Usage History page)?  I just opened the account 3 weeks ago and am using an iPhone SE.

13 REPLIES 13

@wendykev 

Your welcome. That's what we are here for....when you have time hang out here, ask some questions, use the search bar, read and bravo some posts. You will learn all kinds of useful things to manage your account and service with pm. You never know you might even earn a community reward.

wendykev

Excellent information--thanks so much!

@wendykev 

That is correct...every call gets rounded up. If a call connects then pm also counts the ring time before it connects. So if you are watching the timing of a call....once a call hits 52 seconds it will be a 60 second (1min) call so at 53 seconds you will be "charged" for a 2 minutes of calling.

You may want to download fongo or textnow for calling while on wifi to check your voicemail so you don't use minutes on that. Just call your phone number from another number and press * when it connects then enter your 4 digit voicemail pin # and your in!

Fongo also works on mobile data. (0.5mb=1 min/250mb=500 min) In case you run out of outgoing minutes and you are away from wifi you can still make calls if necessary. However as suggested the $5/500min add on is a great deal and it will remain on your account to supplement your plan minutes until it is completely consumed. I have had one on an account for well over a year that still hasn't been used up yet.....but its good to have the assurance that its there when needed.

wendykev

Okay, now I know how it works--thanks very much!

@wendykev wrote:

Okay, so just to clarify, a .06 (6 second) phonecall would be a minute?  As would a .14 (14 second) phonecall?  A 2.30 minute  phonecall would be 3 minutes?  1.22 minutes would be 2 minutes?

Thanks for your help--I just want to understand the system since I'm so new to Public Mobile.

Yes, you are correct.. 0.14 -> 1 min, 2:30 -> 3 min, 1:22-> 2 min .

Not just PM, all mobile providers are counting the mins this way, including L.D.

It's more advantageous to make long calls  🙂

wendykev

Hi--I've only been on PM for 3 weeks, so there shouldn't be a problem with the date.

wendykev

Okay, so just to clarify, a .06 (6 second) phonecall would be a minute?  As would a .14 (14 second) phonecall?  A 2.30 minute  phonecall would be 3 minutes?  1.22 minutes would be 2 minutes?

Thanks for your help--I just want to understand the system since I'm so new to Public Mobile.

@wendykev 

You could post your usage pages but make sure you remove any personal info, phone numbers etc...and we can take a look but the minute counter is rarely if ever wrong. Are you saying you only have made 8 outgoing calls that are all under one minute?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@wendykev  any chance is a problem with the cycle start date?  keep in mind that PM is using a 30 days cycle.   e., If you see on your My Account showing that Payment Due before June 28, then your current cycle would be from May 29.    Not sure if you have counted the usage from the wrong start date?

Also, rounding up to the next min is per call.. not round up from the total.  So, if you have 5 calls or 0:10, although the total is 0:50, but  it would be 5 mins and  and not 1 min

@wendykev wrote:

I understand rounding up to the closest minute, but that would be 8 minutes, not 15 minutes.  And if I even checked voicemail, it wouldn't have been for more than 2 minutes.  Still doesn't add up to 15 minutes.

@wendykev   Just to clarify, every separate call is rounded up, so the mins usage can add up quickly.

Of course, if you feel the total mins being deducted is incorrect (occasionally happens), you can submit a ticket to moderators via chatbot (bottom right of screen) and follow prompts.  They can take a look at your account/usage and will be able to see what happened and make the necessary corrections to the account.

wendykev

I understand rounding up to the closest minute, but that would be 8 minutes, not 15 minutes.  And if I even checked voicemail, it wouldn't have been for more than 2 minutes.  Still doesn't add up to 15 minutes.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@wendykev wrote:

Why does Public Mobile say I've used 15 minutes of my phone minutes when I've used 7.96 minutes (yes, I added them up on my View Usage History page)?  I just opened the account 3 weeks ago and am using an iPhone SE.

@wendykev   Retrieving voicemail from your phone will also deduct from available mins.  Its a good idea to purchase the inexpensive $5/500 mins CW add-on to supplement limited plan mins and unused mins from the add-on stay on the account until depleted as domestic add-ons don't expire.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Calls are rounded up to the nearest minute.  Each call is rounded up i.e a call 1 minute 10 seconds would get rounded to 2 minutes, if another call 5 minutes 2 seconds would get rounded to 6 minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.