cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone service having difficulties?

manpans
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone,

Just a general question in these weird times. Is anyone else having trouble phoning people during the day lately? Either my call cuts in and out or I can't even get through to people. Last night I had three very long conversations no problem, but today it's back to spotty or nothing at all. Video calls on other apps work fine. Text works okay. Just the phone. I am wondering if the increased activity during COVID is bogging down the system somewhat, or if something is just off with my phone. Any thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

@LindaL wrote:

I'm experiencing call drops too and it's infuriating because I'm on hold to get customer service agent and when the call drops that means I have to call back and wait in queue again. I've wasted many hours due to this issue.

Probably due to covid... everyone on their phones.

"Canada’s biggest wireless carriers say they are working on a fix to address complaints about dropped or incomplete cellphone calls as large swaths of the population change their behaviour in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Canadians are making more cellphone calls than usual as they work remotely, contact government agencies and check in on family members and friends as they attempt to follow social distancing protocols. Many took to Twitter in recent days to complain about not being able to place a wireless call, receiving “all circuits busy" messages, or an increase in dropped calls."

LindaL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm experiencing call drops too and it's infuriating because I'm on hold to get customer service agent and when the call drops that means I have to call back and wait in queue again. I've wasted many hours due to this issue.

@Pawprints1986 When it comes to call quality, issues can unfortunately be on either side of the connection. This can sometimes make troubleshooting difficult.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I haven't had to make a call in a while, but a couple weeks ago i had a call that was so garbled I had to piece together what a customer service Rep was trying to say to me without asking to repeat herself many times and sounding like a moron... She never asked me to repeat though, just seemed to be an issue with incoming signal, not outgoing, if that makes any possible sense what so ever! It was a Monday in the mid afternoon if that helps. "Rush hour"but instead of car traffic it's phone traffic! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@manpans wrote:

Hey everyone,

Just a general question in these weird times. Is anyone else having trouble phoning people during the day lately? Either my call cuts in and out or I can't even get through to people. Last night I had three very long conversations no problem, but today it's back to spotty or nothing at all. Video calls on other apps work fine. Text works okay. Just the phone. I am wondering if the increased activity during COVID is bogging down the system somewhat, or if something is just off with my phone. Any thoughts?

So you know we're in "weird times". You notice it's "during the day". When you say "video calls on other apps" do you mean on this phone that you're saying you're having problems with?

Yes. Everybody and their dog (literally) are all home using high bandwidth video calls. And they wonder why the internet is bogging down for their special video call. Like the internet is all there just for them. Maybe everybody should refrain from video calls these days and let needed resources use it to take up the bandwidth instead of pet videos. All these tv shows and news and all using all this bandwidth. Ridiculous.

Sorry. Had to vent. 🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@manpans  are your calls being dropped at the same time? Or at varying times. Thanks.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@manpans 

This has been an issue with most providers as the networks are congested by everyone working from home due to COVID.

Some people have reported that when they dial the number it does not even connect the call.

You can try using Wifi calling instead if you want. Use apps like (WhatsApp, Facebook messenger) or even Textnow app if you need to make an important call.

Cheers

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There is more phone usage due to the current pandemic so probably more busy signals and phones getting dropped.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@manpans I think, it is because of high volume of communications between people nowadays. "All lines are busy, try again later" error became frequent for me as well.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@manpans wrote:

Hey everyone,

I haven't had any service issues so far. Are you in the same spot when you are calling? Like the main floor or basement. Could it be the location you are standing in?

Sorry, I couldn't be more of a help but those are my best thought. If the service works at night then it's probably not your phone. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@manpans wrote:

Hey everyone,

Like you, I 'spect that increased activity puts strain on the network system and dropped calls and incomplete calls are to be expected during this time.

You could get a voip app like TextNow and text/call for free with your wifi.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@manpans wrote:

Hey everyone,

I would say it is due to covid. Everyone is on their phone.

"Canada’s biggest wireless carriers say they are working on a fix to address complaints about dropped or incomplete cellphone calls as large swaths of the population change their behaviour in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Canadians are making more cellphone calls than usual as they work remotely, contact government agencies and check in on family members and friends as they attempt to follow social distancing protocols. Many took to Twitter in recent days to complain about not being able to place a wireless call, receiving “all circuits busy" messages, or an increase in dropped calls."

Need Help? Let's chat.