cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number

QuinHunt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My husband just activated a new account and the phone number they gave him is apparently someone else's phone number already. Is that possible?

20 REPLIES 20

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is this a used iPhone? Is someone else registered to the device in iMessage? That would have the same effect that you are experiencing. I believe @gblackma was alluding to this already

@QuinHunt best option is to change it like @computergeek541 said

you can go into his self serve account and click change number under "my profile"

change pass,sim,number.jpeg

If you are still having issues I suggest you make a ticket and speak to SIMon by tapping on the ? icon on the bottom right. SIMon will give you suggested fixes and gather the correct information needed to create a ticket in the proper category. Pick the correct categories that suits your issues and then click "submit ticket/click me" to start a private message to the moderators.

Moderator help article:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 9AM to 9PM EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 9AM to 7PM PM EST

@QuinHunt To clarify, your husband can text and receive texts from Android phones, but not from iPhones? What's the make and model of the phone?  And if this is one particular iPhone, ask them to enable sms and mms on their iPhone. Thanks.

@QuinHunt  If a non Telus/Koodo/Public phone calls your husband number what happens?

QuinHunt

It's an Android

QuinHunt

He has an android

@QuinHunt what kind of phone is your husband using? Is it an iPhone?

@QuinHunt so the texts to Android phones go through? If your husband has an iPhone is imessage on? Thanks.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@QuinHunt wrote:

When he sends a text to anyone with an iPhone their response goes to someone else

Unless he's attached to that phone number already...I'd suggest he change it asap.

Welcome to PM.

If he's attached to that phone number, that would be too bad because unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to keep it. There's really no choice because someone else already had it.

QuinHunt

Whenever he texts someone with an iPhone all his responses goes to someone else who is texting all these people back and my husband doesn't get the msg

@QuinHunt wrote:

When he sends a text to anyone with an iPhone their response goes to someone else

Unless he's attached to that phone number already...I'd suggest he change it asap.

Welcome to PM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@QuinHunt  Need to go into selfserve and select the change phone number option and pick a new number.

@gpixel wrote:

@computergeek541 that's a big no no and security issue. I hope that's not the case

Unfortunately, it does happen. More than ten years ago, Telus assigned my active phone number to a new customer.  When this happens, it's similar to an incomplete port since the person who first had the phone number ends up receiving all incoming communications.

That's really not much different than someone taking a random phone number and submitting a port request. Telus/Koodo/Public do not verify the legitimacy of the request before assigning the phone number to your account.

QuinHunt

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@QuinHunt wrote:

My husband just activated a new account and the phone number they gave him is apparently someone else's phone number already. Is that possible?

@computergeek541 that's a big no no and security issue. I hope that's not the case

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@QuinHunt hi what do you mean is someone else answering?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@QuinHunt it must of been someone else's old number and people are just contacting him thinking its the previous owners phone

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@QuinHunt Could you please elaborate? Why do you think it's someone else's number? Thanks.

@QuinHunt wrote:

Occasionally, Public Mobile assigned a phone number to a new customer that is already in use. It is an error on Public Mobile's part. Your husband will need to change his phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.