cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number categorized as long distance

lebalo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Does anyone have an issue (and solution) where their number is being recognized as long distance by automated systems like call boxes at front doors? I have a phone number selected from my local area however this is still an issue. 
3 REPLIES 3

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@lebalo  You need to check the number if it is in fact from your city. Not just the area code. The buzzer front door system may be configured to run local numbers and not just an area code in your area especially older systems.

What's the area code?

Also what are the 3 digits after the area code? 

What's your city?

The city that the phone number belongs to can be check at the CNAC website. 

If it turns out that the city of the phone number is not your city than you would have to think about changing your phone number. Public Mobile allows one change per 30 days and you can do it in your self serve account.

Orange arrow on picture below to change number.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@lebalo 

It's very frequently actually

Go to wiki and check your area code local exchange list, try to look for the number from that list.

We managed to find fongo number, we were lucky. I set it to forward to our home phone. Their forward is free, so if you don't find the local with public mobile you can give it a try

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lebalo wrote:
Does anyone have an issue (and solution) where their number is being recognized as long distance by automated systems like call boxes at front doors? I have a phone number selected from my local area however this is still an issue. 

@lebalo 

If you live in an apartment or condo complex, almost always the call box at the door(s) will be local area calling only.  It sounds like to me, you have an out-of-town (still the same province) cellular number.

If this is the case, you'll need to get a local number

Need Help? Let's chat.