cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone companies must block scam calls starting today

kazoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

CBC article (https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc-call-blocking-1.5401057)

"As an alternative, they can offer subscribers "filtering services" that provide more advanced call-management features, which is what Telus is doing for its wireless customers."

Mods care to weigh on how this might impact PM subscribers?

13 REPLIES 13

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lar wrote:

@Jadebug   I've been on the DNC list for cell and home line and I can say that it's useless. I even wonder if spammers are using that list to call, lol.   Cheers

@Lar @Jadebug only Canadian-based legitimate companies use that list.  Spammers and scammers just robodial whomever they want and of course don't bother checking if you've registered with the DNC list!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jadebug   I've been on the DNC list for cell and home line and I can say that it's useless. I even wonder if spammers are using that list to call, lol.   Cheers

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stevenhayward wrote:

Their should also be something in place to prevent your previous mobile provider (in my case, Bell) from calling you repeatedly, asking "We see that you left us and closed your account. May we ask which provider you switched to?" 

I think this focuses more on international telemarketers/ scammers. 

For national telemarketers, the government already has a do not call list in place (https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en). Though, I'm not sure how effective it is. Not a lot of people seem to know about it... 

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yup, first phase will be totally useless but I guess they have to start somewhere.  Just a few days ago I got one of those chinese speaking calls.  When I called the number back the guy was surprised to find out someone was spoofing his number.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If Telus is putting controls into customers hands, I would have expected an announcement already with explanation of how to use the new features ahead of launch day.  This first phase looks to be totally ineffective.  The spam callers just need to spoof a proper looking number and they are good to go.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Bear in mind that this new thing starting today is only going to block a small percentage of the spam calls you get.  Specifically (from the article posted by @kazoo 😞

"What's the technology that needs to be implemented on Dec. 19?

It's a system that automatically blocks calls that show up on caller identification systems as: 

• Numbers with more than 15 digits.
  • Numbers that can't be dialled (such as a string of letters or 000-000-0000).

Calls from those types of numbers will no longer make your phone ring."

In other words, spam callers can still spoof legitimate phone numbers and slip right through.  This won't stop anyone for long.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stevenhayward wrote:

Their should also be something in place to prevent your previous mobile provider (in my case, Bell) from calling you repeatedly, asking "We see that you left us and closed your account. May we ask which provider you switched to?" 

What phone are you using?

If you have an Android phone, you can likely block their calls.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stevenhayward wrote:

Call Bell and tell them to stop.

stevenhayward

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

is there a app for blocking scam calls?

kazoo

As CRTC has mandated this first step be in place today Dec 19, there should be no wait. The anti-spoofing step to come later.  That's how I read this.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This will be interesting, hopefully Public Mobile already has something ready to go. Considering Telus owns them and has probably prepared for this, I would imagine we would have this blocking technology soon, maybe a couple months at most.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@kazoo wrote:

CBC article (https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc-call-blocking-1.5401057)

"As an alternative, they can offer subscribers "filtering services" that provide more advanced call-management features, which is what Telus is doing for its wireless customers."

Mods care to weigh on how this might impact PM subscribers?

No official news yet from Public Mobile.

You may ask @Alan_K how this will affect Public Mobile customers. Or wait for a posting from him later on.

As the article states, they have until Sept 30 2020 to do something about spoof calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.