Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number

P-Ran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Had a random person call me and said "I'm returning your call?"

I told that person "I did not call anyone I am here sitting at my desk."

The person said "Is this your number (xxx-xxx-xxxx)? It was repeated back to me correctly.

I responded "Yes it is, but I never called anyone." 

Could someone else be using my number that I've had for years?

10 REPLIES 10

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

spoofing.. 

whose number is being used, they cant do anything to stop.

call screen or national do not call list is for sales calls not for spam. 

I was called 10 times today.. never had that many spam calls before...

funny how all these people, even the Chinese recordings are people with an east Indian accent. 

very thankful for the "screen call" feature!

@AE_Collector wrote:

There is a greater likelihood of people answering their phone as it is a somewhat “familiar” looking number to the person being called

actually is the exact opposite, whenever I see those number with my area code and exchange, I won't answer them. .LoL

The idea behind number spoofing is that they spoof a number and then they or their equipment calls all the the numbers in the same area code and exchange as the number they spoofed. There is a greater likelihood of people answering their phone as it is a somewhat “familiar” looking number to the person being called since it implies it is in the same town, city etc as the person being called.

AE_Collector

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Such spoof calls will become a thing of the past, hopefully starting as soon as at the end of next month, when CRTC starts mandating a series of caller ID authentication systems called STIR/SHAKEN in Canada.

It's all been coming for a VERY long time.

More here: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=497d6938-25b7-43f7-bfc9-39d47d4c4b37

Nothing you can do currently. I would advise not to answer calls from unknown to you numbers. If somebody really wants to get in touch with you, they will leave voice mail.

I got a call from Alberta, woman was asking me why did I call her (Ontario). Same conversation - I did not call you as I do not know you, etc. etc. She was complaining why government cannot stop these number spoofing...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@P-Ran  Caller ID Spoofing. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

anyone know if this is something Telcom or CRTC can stop?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@P-Ran wrote:

The person said "Is this your number (xxx-xxx-xxxx)? It was repeated back to me correctly.

Most likely a scam caller. You'll prolly be getting a few of them in the next few weeks now that "they" know your number is active.

Have one of your family or friends call your cell number...just to be sure.

P-Ran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you!

@P-Ran wrote:

Most likely, someone is spoofing your phone number, as process that has someone pretending to call from your phone number. Call display information is easily faked. All you can really do is advise the other person that you did not call or you can ignore calls from phone numbers that you do not recognize.

Need Help? Let's chat.