cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Keeps Losing Data Connection

cbrandonisio
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My oneplus one (Using recommended APN settings), frequently loses the ability to connect to data service. Texting and calling work fine (it drops to 3g and then comes back to LTE when calling). A reboot usually fixes the problem for a couple hours, but then it comes back. My phone is using the stock baseband and I have never had this issue with another provider (namely Koodo and most recently before Public, Freedom Mobile). Has anyone else had this issue and if so, was/how was it resolved.

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT: The diagnostic menu shows data service as "connecting", it just never connects. 

EDIT2: Many of you are mentioning it may be a software issue, since the phone was just reset, I've gone a step further and flashed a custom/much newer firmware, modem, and baseband set. If the problem is resolved I'll update the post with exactly what I did so others can use the same solution if need be. 

PROBLEM RESOLVED: Flashing the newest available oxygenOS baseband and firmware, in conjuction with sultanXDA's lineage os 14.1 ROM has solved the problem. Phone is set to LTE/UMTS (PRL).

Cheers

16 REPLIES 16

cbrandonisio

PROBLEM RESOLVED: Flashing the newest available oxygenOS baseband and firmware, in conjuction with sultanXDA's lineage os 14.1 ROM has solved the problem. Phone is set to LTE/UMTS (PRL).

Cheers

cbrandonisio

I have the international version of the phone, the problem was fixed by flashing an updated/custom device baseband and firmware. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@cbrandonisio Based on https://willmyphonework.net the China variant is missing PM's best LTE band. Try locking your phone to 3G, or set LTE OFF. Don't know how that's done in Android.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @cbrandonisio, I hope flashing the custom rom has helped.  Good luck!

spencerft9

I'm using Asian version that's why i have two SIM card signal.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Is this a dual SIM phone?  Is the bands compatible?  I recall the North American version was only single SIM.

spencerft9

Should be working because I'm using oneplu

image.jpg

cbrandonisio
Unfortunately yes...phone has no problem with voice or text, but cannot connect the data service. It's trying, but the connection never gets established.

cbrandonisio
Unfortunately I do not have this option, although the phone was recently factory reset (within the last 2 weeks).

cbrandonisio
Didn't solve the problem, thanks for the suggestion though.

spencerft9

Hi you can try use phone call*#*#4636#*#* and set LTE/umts then set to airplane mode and close airplane mode will work probably.

imm1304

Check under settings >> General >> Backup and Reset >> Network settings reset

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Does the phone have data connection issues when selecting wcdma-ony?

cbrandonisio

My phone does not have a reset option for network only, but I recently did a factory reset of the phone to clear out a bunch of old junk and start fresh. I could try again but I'm doubtful it will resolve the problem given the recent reset. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cbrandonisio

Like @imm1304, a reset of the network settings will hopefully do the trick.  If not you may need to complete a factory reset of your device.  Many people coming from Freedom have had to do this in order to get data working properly on their phones.

*** I’m glad to help but I’m not a MOD, so please don’t message me with any personal information. ***

imm1304

Hey @cbrandonisio

This sounds like a device issue.  Likely a software glitch.

Start by doing a network settings reset.  

Need Help? Let's chat.