cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay just to keep phone number

Mommy0407
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My daughter's service is suspended and she is about to lose her number. Her phone is broken so I don't want to pay the full amount. Can I pay to keep the phone number only?

19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

I have merged these two threads as the most recent question had previously been asked another thread.

I thought that user name looked familiar 🙂

I have merged these two threads as the most recent question had previously been asked another thread.

@rukawa0929 wrote:

I think this would work perfectly if you know that you are going away for an extended period of time, and minimize the bill by switching the plan to the bare minimum, and then revert it back when you are about to come back... Maybe will do that when I'm travelling next time

Be aware that there is some risk though...if your preferred plan disappears  while you were on the cheaper plan, you wouldn't have that option when you wanted it back. Just something to be informed about beforehand.

@rukawa0929 wrote:

I think this would work perfectly if you know that you are going away for an extended period of time, and minimize the bill by switching the plan to the bare minimum, and then revert it back when you are about to come back... Maybe will do that when I'm travelling next time

Well, you can save that $10 by just leaving your account on suspended/expired status. Plus, you don't need to worry about changing the plan back to what you had in case it is not available anymore. 

rukawa0929

@geopublic wrote:

@Mommy0407 wrote:

Hi,

If I downgrade my daughters plan to the $10 plan this month to keep her number; can I later switch back to the $40 plan?

@Mommy0407  Another option is to use the Lost/Stolen option to suspend the account up to 90 days without losing the number.

This option can also be used, but the problem with it is that Rewards will not apply when account is restored from lost/stolen option. 

@Mommy0407 wrote:

Hi,

If I downgrade my daughters plan to the $10 plan this month to keep her number; can I later switch back to the $40 plan?

@Mommy0407  Another option is to use the Lost/Stolen option to suspend the account up to 90 days without losing the number.

@Mommy0407 Instead of changing plan to $10 just to keep her number, can you not leave at suspended/expired status if she is not going to use the phone at all? All you have to do is remove the payment method and turn off AutoPay. PM will hold her number for max 90 days. 

@Mommy0407 wrote:

Hi,

Yes as long as that plan is still offered.  If by chance plans change during this downgrade time and your current plan is not available you wouldn't be able to go back to it.  You would need to pick an in-market plan at that time.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Mommy0407  hi yes you most certainly can Smiley Happy

Mommy0407

Hi,

@Mommy0407 wrote:

Hi, if I pay the bare minimum $10 plan will I be able to go back to a regular plan at a later date?

This depends completely on if Public Mobile is still offering the plan. You can only switch to current, in-market plans at any given time.

Mommy0407

Hi, if I pay the bare minimum $10 plan will I be able to go back to a regular plan at a later date?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster 

I'm the same. When I'm out and about and notice something I might respond to and then plink away on the mobile...ninja'd all the time.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You haved 90 days from the start of the suspension before the phone number is lost. You could choose the cheapest plan and pay it every 88 days to keep the number alivej but I think the plan must be active before you can change plans. There is no "pay to keep the number only" with Public.   Cheers

@Mommy0407 wrote:

My daughter's service is suspended and she is about to lose her number. Her phone is broken so I don't want to pay the full amount. Can I pay to keep the phone number only?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Mommy0407 wrote:

You have 90day of suspension until the account is deactivated. Should be plenty of time to find a new phone?

You don't say what plan you have - the cheapest version is $10 for the 50/50 plan ($8 after auto pay)

Edit: ninja'd again... Time to get back to work!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mommy0407  - If she's not already on it, you can swith her to the $10 plan until you get a new phone.  With prepay enabled, that would only be $8.

ooakosiryan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can pay $8/month by selecting the $10 plan and activating autopay. That way you'll keep the number until you're ready to start using it again 🙂

EDIT: Actually, maybe don't sign up for autopay so, like @iliketotalk mentioned, you can just let the account get suspended again for 89 days, then sign up for the $10 again and repeat ad infinitum.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Mommy0407  hi I dont know what your paying now but you could take the 10 dollar plan or better you can suspend it up to 90 days and then pay 10 dollars to keep it active and then 90 days again or 89 actually lol

Need Help? Let's chat.