cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM's Unlocking Policy for December

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So with the FREE unlock directive coming into effect December 1, I was hoping PM might shed some light on how they plan to approach this. I don't anticipate people leaving in droves, but people do need it unlocked for vacations, or phone switches from other carriers, or just to get it unlocked because they can.

Maybe a special form can be created that can be queued in order. Or will it simply be a free-for-all? Maybe open it up early to avoid Dec 1 panic 

21 REPLIES 21

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

AFAIK, Subsidized phones WERE locked to the carrier, whereas buying outright from Apple would be unlocked. CRTC says all new phones must come unlocked, but you'll still be on the hook for your subsidized contracts.

Those people who have completed their contract with their service provider (and choose to keep using thier phone) would have a big incentive now to call their carrier, have them unlock the phone for free, and switch to PM!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@xCameron94x wrote:

@Luddite I heard that the new iPhones (8) come unlocked out of the box. Even if subsided

@xCameron94x hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure all iPhone have come that way for a while, but lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card that's inserted, similar to what Samsung does with at least their S-series if not others.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@smp99

Most likely you'll need to get Telus or Koodo (whoever sold the phone) to unlock it for you.

@smp99 wrote:

We have a whole family on PM with phones locked to Koodo/Telus. So yes, PM has locked phones in their ecosystem. I just want to know what the policy might look like

Don't expect an update until Dec 1. PM currently will unlock a Telus/Koodo phone for $50, so there is some hope PM's unlocking policy will track Koodo and Telus.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

smp99

We have a whole family on PM with phones locked to Koodo/Telus. So yes, PM has locked phones in their ecosystem. I just want to know what the policy might look like

Agreed with @computergeek541

@Luddite wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile just needs to stay the course, December 1 changes nothing.  When you don't sell phones, there's nothing to unlock.  TBH, those needing unlocked phones would have unlocked already.  All the new policy will do is ensure phones are sold unlocked.  Maybe this could represent a growth opportunity with all the unlocked phones looking for a well priced service.

Are you sure the requirement is that phones must be provided unlocked, or is it that they must be unlocked for free. I cannot imagine the carriers providing unlocked subsidized phones, unless that is the CRTC rule.

The carriers flat-out will not be allowed to sell locked devices at all.  There also is no distinction that I can see between susidizesd devices and outright purchases.

As per the CRTC, "The Commission therefore determines that it is appropriate that the Code be changed so that starting no later than 1 December 2017, any devices provided by a WSP to the customer for the purpose of providing wireless services must be provided unlocked and if a device already provided to the customer is or becomes locked to the network, a WSP must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-200.htm

(key emphasis on "must be provided unlocked")

From that wording, I guess they technically could still lock devices but it would serve no purpose as before the customer leaves the retail store, or by the time the customer receives a phone shipment from the carrier, the phone must already be unlocked.

@Luddite I heard that the new iPhones (8) come unlocked out of the box. Even if subsided

@will13am wrote:

Public Mobile just needs to stay the course, December 1 changes nothing.  When you don't sell phones, there's nothing to unlock.  TBH, those needing unlocked phones would have unlocked already.  All the new policy will do is ensure phones are sold unlocked.  Maybe this could represent a growth opportunity with all the unlocked phones looking for a well priced service.

Are you sure the requirement is that phones must be provided unlocked, or is it that they must be unlocked for free. I cannot imagine the carriers providing unlocked subsidized phones, unless that is the CRTC rule.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Michael77 wrote:

@computergeek541,

@computergeek541 wrote:

There may still be some phones that Public Mobile wil be required to unlock.  When Public Moblic had those offers for free or discounted phones for the old CDMA customers, I suspect that those batches of phones that accepted Pubic's first batch of sim cards might have been Telus-locked.  If that's the case, Public Mobile will have to provide the means for customers to get those phones unlocked.

If the antiques still work. Lol 🙂

It's been a little more than 3 years since those offers.  Since Public Mobile is a value/low-cost brand, I'm willing to wager that many of those phones are still in use today.  Any of those old phones still work perfectly fine for voice and texting.  It's just a matter of whether the internal batteries are still good.  I'm sure there's still a bunch of those Moto G devices still in commission. 

Michael77

@computergeek541,

@computergeek541 wrote:

There may still be some phones that Public Mobile wil be required to unlock.  When Public Moblic had those offers for free or discounted phones for the old CDMA customers, I suspect that those batches of phones that accepted Pubic's first batch of sim cards might have been Telus-locked.  If that's the case, Public Mobile will have to provide the means for customers to get those phones unlocked.

If the antiques still work. Lol 🙂

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

PM's unlocking policy come December should be to entice other provider's customers pretty hard with some sweet promos so they bring their newly unlocked phones over. 😉

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Michael77

We are kind of saying the same thing. 🙂 Thanks, @mattdxb.

mattdxb

@Michael77 wrote:

So for example, if you purchased your locked phone from Freedom Mobile, they would be responsible for unlocking your phone. Also, there are online businesses that charge a fee that can assist you with this. Public Mobile did not sell you the phone, therefore, they would not be responsible for unlocking it. 

Thanks.

Yes, I agree with this. And perhaps I misinterpreted smp99s post but I thought he implied that PM would be offering an unlocking service for customers regardless of where they got their phone from. But like you said, PM doesn't sell phones so they don't have any phones to unlock. 

Michael77

So for example, if you purchased your locked phone from Freedom Mobile, they would be responsible for unlocking your phone. Also, there are online businesses that charge a fee that can assist you with this. Public Mobile did not sell you the phone, therefore, they would not be responsible for unlocking it. 

Thanks.

Michael77

Hi @mattdxb,

True but I guess my point is that it is the customer's responsibility to figure out how to unlock their phones. PM does not sell phones.

Thanks.

mattdxb

The whole point is that when you buy a phone from a carrier, it will already be unlocked or they will unlock it for you. It doesn't mean that any carrier will unlock any phone for you for free.  

You either need an unlocked phone, or a locked telus/koodo phone to use PM. Assuming most people here have an unlocked phone, there won't be any issue. Remember PM doesn't sell phones 

Michael77

@smp99,

PM will not have an issue with this topic because they do not sell phones. This is a BYOD carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.