cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PM Account Hacked and Service moved to new SIM

Jeffrey_martin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

HI All, I desperately need some help. Earlier today, I noticed my phone was no longer recieving texts. I also tried making a call and was unable. I logged into my account and noticed my plan had also been changed, which I did not do. Im looking at the last 4 digits of the sim Card register to my account and I noticed it does not match my physical SIM Card. I believe my account was hacked, and someone moved my service to a new SIM, and then changed my plan. How can I fix this? I was able to change my password to my PM account but i have no idea how to get my Cell service back

40 REPLIES 40

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

Always use an authentication app instead of a text for 2FA.

Hope this helps!

How to use an authentication app with a bank account when bank is only use 2FA?

@Jeffrey_martin  The moderator is the only one that can change your email. My recommendation is to try to get back your original email access to avoid any potential identify theft attempts in the future.

Always use an authenticator app instead of a text for 2FA.

Hope this helps!

@Jeffrey_martin 

You can do a superficial email change within your self serve account . This will change the log in username only. This will prevent access to your account in the short term until you can get a moderator to make the full email change.

@Jeffrey_martin 

When talking the moderators ask them to do a full account reset here you change all your security questions. In your account change your name to a pseudo name that you will remember. 

In your phone do not leave remember password on ever. 

Lastly, change all your passwords to all the accounts you own. I have heard of nothing happening immediately then months later money is removed from your account. 

Use the LastPass app to protect your passwords and generate new passwords that are very difficult to crack. You can make passwords up to 72 characters long if you wish with caps numbers and symbols. 

Hope nothing else came from this except some inconvenience. 

Have a great week. 

@Jeffrey_martin when you contact the moderators give them a new email address and ask them to change it to that one for you. If you changed the name on the account and the secret question and the answer to it you should be safe for now. Stay safe 

Jeffrey_martin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to change the email address associated with my account? My main email adress was hacked, So im concerned i will be totally locked out of my PM account if do not get it changed

@Jeffrey_martin also contact the moderators and tell them what happened to you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jeffrey_martin  Do this as soon as possible:

• Change your selfserve password and profile info.
  • Notify all your banks and credit card companies 
  • Secure all your online passwords with strong passwords.
  • Declared your phone stolen via selfserve, purchase a new sim and change the sim card on your account to the new number.

This is another reason to always have a spare Public Mobile sim card on hand. 🤔

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jeffrey_martin 

Beside changing you PM account password etc, the most important you need to do right now is to report it your your bank and credit card companies to lock your account as spammer is trying to access your phone number to do 2FA bank transaction to steal money from your bank account.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jeffrey_martin immediately place your phone on lost/ stolen  and change the password, secret question and name on the account. Also change your email address password and any other passwords to credit cards and banks that may have been exposed. Contact your bank.

20200504_182846.jpg

Then get another sim card and change it from within your self service account. 

20200723_093448.jpg

Take your phone off of lost/ stolen and restart it and you should be good to go. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.