cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIN

Ddonnelly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can’t find my PIN anywhere. Please help. 

13 REPLIES 13

@JenniferGoheen wrote:

Hi,

I'm not clear on what this 4-digit PIN is needed for. 

We receive it (text) when activation of the Public Mobile SIM occurs (I think), as described by user @popping.

But when would that PIN ever be needed?  What does it lock?

Thanks.

@JenniferGoheen  That PIN is also required when using Public's IVR system by dialing 611 from your device for making purchases and enabling/disabling AutoPay.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JenniferGoheen wrote:

Ok thanks folks,

I was hoping this account PIN would be an added layer of security against "SIM hijacking" (where a bad-guy manages to steal your phone number by transferring it onto his own SIM).  

Bad-guys could do this by sweet-talking/convincing the carrier's tech support person that they are actually you, and getting them to make the SIM switch.

Public Mobile has the self-serve ability to "Change your SIM", and "Change your Phone number".  The take-away of course, is to be diligent about protecting your PM Account access.

Losing control of your mobile number would be a bad thing if the phone number is used for 2FA.  Sure they would also need the login/password of that protected account, but look how well that's been working out.

Watch this CBC Marketplace show on how a hacker to get in the host's Rogers account and changed her account PIN and add his name to her account to allow him to access her account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_r2GYLdCI

@JenniferGoheen wrote:

Hi,

We receive it (text) when activation of the Public Mobile SIM occurs (I think), as described by user @popping.

Thanks.

I never use the PIN. Others said account verification to talk to mods. It can also be used to port the number out.

@JenniferGoheen @Unfortunately it won't help because to stop SIMjacking all the providers have to agree to have security protocol added to the porting process. Currently Public Mobile will text you if someone is trying to port your number but it is obviously useless if you wait too long or the moderators take 48 hours to get to you

in the mean time change your name you have registered with public mobile to something not obvious and only you would know. Eg a misspelling 

JenniferGoheen

Ok thanks folks,

I was hoping this account PIN would be an added layer of security against "SIM hijacking" (where a bad-guy manages to steal your phone number by transferring it onto his own SIM).  

Bad-guys could do this by sweet-talking/convincing the carrier's tech support person that they are actually you, and getting them to make the SIM switch.

Public Mobile has the self-serve ability to "Change your SIM", and "Change your Phone number".  The take-away of course, is to be diligent about protecting your PM Account access.

Losing control of your mobile number would be a bad thing if the phone number is used for 2FA.  Sure they would also need the login/password of that protected account, but look how well that's been working out.

popping

@JenniferGoheen wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

The PIN is need to verify your identiy if you need to contact moderator whenyou forget your login password.

@JenniferGoheen wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

@JenniferGoheen 

It is needed to verify account ownership. When contacting moderator. Or dialing 611 to buy add ons. 

@JenniferGoheen  the pin is used if you call 611 from your phone to add funds from your credit card and sometimes to verify your account 

JenniferGoheen

Hi,

Thanks.

popping

@Ddonnelly wrote:

I can’t find my PIN anywhere. Please help. 

Check your text messages after activation.  PM sent you 2 text messages.  The first text message has a system generated PIN just in case you did not supply one.  The second text message is the PIN you supplied during activation.  These 2 text messages was sent from 611.

If you deleted these text messages, you need to send a private message to moderator for help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Moderator wait time is up to 2 - 3 days.

@hairbag1 wrote:

If you save emails...check your "Welcome to Public Mobile" email.

If not, you'll have to contact the moderators for their assistance. Click this to message moderator

Please be patient as it could take 48 hours for them to respond to you...usually much less though.

I've checked a couple of activation e-mails that I have access to and neither contained the account PIN. Public Mobile does send this account PIN to the customer by text mesaage.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If you save emails...check your "Welcome to Public Mobile" email.

If not, you'll have to contact the moderators for their assistance. Click this to message moderator

Please be patient as it could take 48 hours for them to respond to you...usually much less though.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Ddonnelly  hi you may have to contact moderators to reset it if you cant find it  click here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.