cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelming Spam?

Zeeurbs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How do I stop scammers from calling my phone? They generally use numbers from another area, or a number very similar to that of my own. Is there any way to prevent this and how do I go about it?

7 REPLIES 7

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would not recommend installing third party apps for call blocking as these are the apps selling your information and data. Most of these companies are based in china so your calls and even other information might be compromised. 
I have changed my number before and I still get the scam calls. Before it was 15-20 calls a day but now it is about 1-2calls. And that considering that I do not use my number anywhere except my bank and email. Not for Fb, whatsapp or other apps. But thats not somethig to care about as even if you don't have a tracking app but somebody in your contact list have a tracking app, your data can still be compromised through him. 
I am using the call blocking and screening on my pixel and I hardly notice an spam call. There is a disadvantage of that as well. As most callers who are not in your contact list would be blocked. That is a bummer especially if you have a business.

Right now there is no easy solution to this problem besides being cautious.
Do not fill your number on suspicious sites and apps. They sell your data including your name and number. Those sites asking to store cookies too copy your data from your browser which include names, address, phone number, sites you visited and other relevant information that they can sell. And do not provide your name to a caller who asks for your name on calling you. That too is a scam to sell your name and number to somebody else who can use it. Lastly again, "do not use a 3rd party call blocking app".
https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/09/many-robocall-blocking-apps-send-your-private-data-without-permiss...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You could buy an app, but the CRTC is cracking down on carriers about spam calls. Carriers will be forced to prevent spam calling.

superhamster

My solution has been to waste as much of the scammer's time as possible. The longer I keep them on the line, the less time they have to prey on some other poor soul 🤣

@ZeeurbsThere are less number of spam blocking apps for iOS because Apple is more strict with their privacy policies when it comes to data harvesting, so it is less profitable for companies to create them.

Zeeurbs

I have an iPhone so I use iOS, I'm sure there must be an app out there for my phone I didn't consider that. If things don't change I'll change my number but that'll only be in an extreme circumstance because it's a pain. Thank you so much! 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@ZeeurbsIf you are an Android user you can purchase a spam blocking app. You can also consider changing your number to one of the new overlay so you are not reusing a previous spam targetted phone number.

Need Help? Let's chat.