cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing/Incoming calls suddenly not working

nic_man
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all I've been with public mobile for a few years, just switched to my current android in december and everything was working fine until around a week ago. Now whenever I try and make outgoing calls, it 'Dials' for up to 30 seconds and just drops the call, sometimes it goes through but the person on the other end usually can't hear me at all then the call drops moments later. I was able to test my SIM on another phone, still took 30 seconds to dial and I was very hard to hear but the call did work for around a minute before completely dropping me again. I have NOT changed any settings on my phone recently, haven't moved even where I call from in my apartment, so my reception should be the exact same as it always has. I also notice that not all calls seem to come through and just goes immediately to voicemail sometimes (Although this is not always the case). This is extremely weird and I'm really unsure of how to fix it, I've turned my phone off and removed the sim for a couple minutes (That seemed to fix my texts only sending 50% of the time but that's it), tried out the other phone, disabled 4G calling and restarted, turned the network on and off... nothing seems to make a difference though. The only other thing to note is that I don't remember seeing the 4G signal switch to 3G every time I made/received a call before now, it also did not change from 4G to 3G when I used the other phone as a test. All I know is that it seems like some kind of network error.

Anyone else experience something like this?

19 REPLIES 19

@nic_man 

If the moderator reset your account and tried to reprovision your sim card with no success then your sim card is likely done in or almost. Not terribly common in the whole scheme of things but a few unlucky customers have to form those tiny percentage stats. Just not the easiest to replace in a small town on a long weekend during a snow storm. Where are you located ? Maybe we can help.....or maybe theres another community member in your locale with a spare sim card. ( Some of us have a "collection.")

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@nic_man wrote:

I have contacted the moderators at this point and they now need me to purchase a new SIM card to see if that works, unfortunately due to the snow in the province overnight I doubt I'll be able to make it out again (Yesterday was family day and everything was closed)

Moderators are trying to rule it out but I would open another ticket. 
Changing your sim card will probably do nothing. Sim cards are very duable and don't go bad often. Unless the sim isn't being detected by sim, an issue is more probable.

nic_man

I have contacted the moderators at this point and they now need me to purchase a new SIM card to see if that works, unfortunately due to the snow in the province overnight I doubt I'll be able to make it out again (Yesterday was family day and everything was closed)

nic_man

As mentioned in the OP, I did try it out in another phone with similar results unfortunately. I live in a small town and there are a couple towers covering the town, however if they were down then this would be an area-wide issue.

@nic_man 

Try all of @Nezgar suggestions except the add on especially if you already have the "more the merrier" add on gifts. Its a seperate issue for those with provincial calling. You will be better off reaching out to the moderators now that wait times are back to normal. An account reset and reprovisioning of your sim should fix the issue if it is not tower/ outage related.

@nic_man wrote:

Hey there @Nezgar, I'm using an old 90 day Canada-wide plan, unlimited talk and text. When I force 3G mode, it says 3G in the corner but I am completely unable to make and receive calls, send or receive texts, and my data does not work

Can you try your SIM in another phone to check if this behaviour is consistent in another phone? (Do you still have the old phone you switched from in December to test in?)

What city are you in? and have you tried your phone in a few different areas other than at home? (To see if maybe it's just your local tower)

It can't hurt to open a ticket with the moderators to check if there's anything up with your account, or if they can "reset" anything.

In the mean time, if you're willing, you could try purchasing a $5/500 minute canada-wide add-on to see if that helps.

nic_man

When I force 3G mode, it says 3G in the corner but I am completely unable to make and receive calls, send or receive texts, and my data does not work

nic_man

Hey there @Nezgar, I'm using an old 90 day Canada-wide plan, unlimited talk and text

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar 

The temporary fix for the glitch with the province wide plans is to add the $5/500 min add on however if this was the issue with the OP it only affects the ability to make outgoing calls. Incoming is unaffected.

Right, thanks for the reminder it was the $5 add-on that was the workaround! Curious to hear from OP if this might be a factor. (Using a grandfathered province-wide calling plan, vs a current Canada-wide calling plan)

@Nezgar 

The temporary fix for the glitch with the province wide plans is to add the $5/500 min add on however if this was the issue with the OP it only affects the ability to make outgoing calls. Incoming is unaffected.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@nic_man 

I have 2 thoughts. First can you try forcing 3G mode (HSPA/WCDMA) only?

Second, are you on an older province-wide calling plan? Theres been a few others reporting issues with those grandfathered plans in the last week or so, and they were able to restore service themselves by changing to a current canada-wide calling plan. If this might be the case I'd still get in touch with the moderators first unless your renewal date is very soon...

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@nic_man :I think you should write to moderator team, because you've put your SIM card into another phone and it same thing, that means problem isn't the phone - problem is beyond your control and maybe network technicians can find out what wrong.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@nic_man  did you try powering off the phone, take out the SIM, wait a min before putting it back in and power it back up?

It happened to me once.. a simply reboot didn't fix the issue.. i have to re-sit the SIM for the service to come back properly.

hope this help

@nic_man 

Try toggling airplane mode on/off. You could just have a poor connection to the network.

@computergeek541 wrote:

This wouldnt' be a case of someone changing the active SIM card because as the OP reports, the calls do sometimes connect.

@computergeek541 , likely the case, yes.

But can't help to suggest many types of services issues to users to ensure THOSE 4 #'s match.

Paranoid? Maybe.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@nic_man , what models of phones were in use before and after?  Are you seeing a really low signal strength during the calling?  Otherwise, calls should not disconnect intermittently.  As for taking a bit of time to negotiate the call, that does happen from time to time.  I do notice that at times calls connect right away and sometimes there is a bit of a wait for the dialing.

@esjliv wrote:

Hi @nic_man ,

Yes, weird.

Maybe a bad SIM card? But before you swap it out. Check your SIM card # on your SELF SERVE account and ensure it matches the last 4 digits of your actual SIM card, found here, under "Change Sim Card":

esjliv_0-1596590590569.png

Perhaps a provisioning issue with your account, only Moderators can look into that. Click on chat bubble on bottom right corner to submit a ticket.

This wouldnt' be a case of someone changing the active SIM card because as the OP reports, the calls do sometimes connect.

@nic_man 

Your phone or previous phone could not have stayed on the LTE network during phone calls as Public Mobile does not offer VoLTE services.  Some phones display a 4g logo that really means "3g"/HSPA.  Carriers have longed renamed what almost everyone called 3g to 4g just because it sounded better. 

Try making some phone calls in other locations to see if that makes any difference.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @nic_man ,

Yes, weird.

Maybe a bad SIM card? But before you swap it out. Check your SIM card # on your SELF SERVE account and ensure it matches the last 4 digits of your actual SIM card, found here, under "Change Sim Card":

esjliv_0-1596590590569.png

Perhaps a provisioning issue with your account, only Moderators can look into that. Click on chat bubble on bottom right corner to submit a ticket.

Need Help? Let's chat.