cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Country, dormant number

Nill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I will be living oversees for a year. I will use local number there instead of my pm number. Do I have any option to deactivate and keep my number and reactivate it when I come back to Canada?

10 REPLIES 10

@BlueB 

It also depends on rewards in the account. If you port out you can lose loyalty and referrals. Rewards in general can make keeping an account active. I would lose money by suspending....

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @darlicious - I was thinking similar, but at 360 days, you'd be short of a full year (365 days in the year). I agree to renew a couple days ahead at each point, so essentially it's still 4x actually pre-paid for the year.  At the end of the day, it's hopefully not significant for @Nill and regardless provides some options between suspension vs VoIP.  🙂

@BlueB 

Technically you only pay 3 times for a "year" of suspension. 30 days of active service+90 days of suspended service=120 days×3=360 days. But I would renew with a couple of days to spare in case there is an issue like system maintenance or a login issue so more like 354 days.

BlueB

@Nill - A lot of good suggestions here, and here's how I see everything tied together in case it helps!

Between VoIP and Suspend at $15/mo, it's simplest to pay about 4x for the year at $15/mo... just set yourself a reminder on your phone/email/etc to do it online. 

Porting to VoIP isn't that much more tricky, but sometimes can be annoying if it doesn't go smoothly.  Benefit here is you can access your calls/etc anywhere on the internet.  🙂

sunflowershine

@Nill If you away for a year, you need to pay at least 3 times of $15 before the 90 days interval of keeping the same number. But it still easier and a cheaper way to do so. Only thing you may need to do is to set up a reminder on your calendar to process a manual payment each time. Have fun on your vacation!

@Nill 

As per @Dunkman 's post you can downgrade your plan to the $15-$2 (autopay)=$13 (minus any other rewards you may have) You can keep autopay enabled and suspend via lost/stolen. Then reactivate between day 85-89 ( it will be cancelled on tbe 90th day.) To keep your phone number for a little less than a year( 355 days or so...) will cost $39 (3×$13)or less if you have other rewards. 

Each time you reactivate you will have to message the moderators to apply your rewards manually from the previously active service month. Suspending via lost/stolen will keep your voicemail active.

one more choice for parking your number to a VOIP service is Fongo

$25 to port into Fongo

should be no charge to port out of Fongo when you are back.  This is what they say according to port out  (I think it should be as long as it satisfies one coditions and not all 3):  

Fongo Mobile and Fongo Works users will be charged a $25 port out fee unless…

The account is over 90 days old
The number was ported to Fongo originally
You have made over $25 in purchases on the account

anthonyling
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Other way is port number to voip. $15 USD will be enough for 2 years if you don't use.   

1) Get new account in voip.LA  , and add $15 USD, you'll get $10 bonus instantly. Total $25 USD balance left;

2) Free porting your number into voip 

3) for $0.85 USD/month , it's enough to cover your 2  years. Voice mail & SMS all go to your e-mail. 

4) Use a voip app such as Bria mobile (free, call in/out only) or Acrobits Groupwire($10, call and SMS) , and you can use this number seamlessly in overseas.

You can always port back to PM after you're  in  Canada next year. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Nill 

Some people will change to the lowest cost plan, $15 plan.  Then remember to pay the plan every 90 days.  Just remember that you will lose the number if the account is more than 90 days.  

Here is a good article from Luddite:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can suspend your account for up to 90 days.  If you don't make a payment after 90 days then your account will be deactivated.  You could either switch to the $15 plan to keep your account.  If that is not an option then you could buy a new sim and setup a new account.

Need Help? Let's chat.