cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other people hear echoing

aaronmartin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
When I'm on the phone with other people, the connection sounds good to me but the other people complain that every thing they say repeats itself as an echo. Is that my cell phone? Is it a software issue or hardware issue? Or is it public mobile services that's doing it. It just started yesterday, worked good for a month before that. Thanx
6 REPLIES 6

Propeloton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New PM customer coming from Freedom Mobile. I have the same issue where I hear the calls just fine but the other party hears themselves echoing with a delay. I removed the SIM, powered off and back on without the SIM; powered off, reinserted SIM but there is no change in call quality. I have a Note 8 and am making these calls in North York, Downtown Toronto and Scarborough in what should be interference-free areas. Please assist, thanks!

Alex-M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@aaronmartin Happy to help and thanks for the Bravo!

aaronmartin
That would very certainly explain allot. In the office I've always had less reception that's right outside it and I've always had a clearer reception when going completely outside to make a call. I've sometimes wondered why it works like that! Thank you Alex for taking your time to explain that, it's certainly knowledge that will be worth knowing! THXX

Alex-M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@aaronmartin Having worked for both an ISP as a Tech Support Agent and a Computer Technician at a computer store, I can say that both electromagnetic fields, radio waves, and poor reception from radio / cell tower signals can all play an important factor when taking into consideration what exactly the cause of echoing and interference can be.

Take for example a scenario where you are sitting in front of your computer, and you happen to have some devices such as your modem, or wireless router near it. Those devices are both turned on and are emitting thier own short to long wave radio signals. Depending on the radio signal band strength and the output of noise cancellation to reduce possible electrical interference with other electrical devices, you may or may not hear static noise distortion, or an echoing effect on your end of the line when speaking to someone on your mobile.

The same can be said of a recipient who places a call to you from their own mobile phone. If they happen to be near any electrical devices that are emitting their own radio waves, including their own mobile phone, they too can experience interference or an echoing effect. This is usually contributed to the short to long wave radio band signal strength from one device to another, and if you or the recipient happen to be in close range of any other devices emitting their own radio wave signals, such as a router or modem, or a combination of the two, one of you, or both of you will experience either an echo effect or a form of static interference.

What would be a simple solution for this echoing and static interference? Simply move away from your PC, or any devices you know of that would emit radio wave signals, even if you happen to be standing next your microwave while talking on your mobile. Try it yourself, and see if your signal reception doesn't improve.

Have you ever tried to use your mobile phone in a thunderstorm before? I wouldn't recommend doing this, but I am willing to bet that during such an event the air surrounding you would be so highly charged with Ions that it would create a natural, electro-magnetic field that would cause some interference with the reception of your mobile phone.

There are still yet other factors to consider for the cause of poor reception, and signal strength when either making a call or receiving one, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with your phone or your recipients phone either, or even be contributed to one cause.

Consider this, have you or someone you know been in an underground parking lot or in a mall bathroom where you noticed your signal strength drop, or your conversation cutting in and out because of poor reception, or your call completely dropping out? This because the structure of the building, and the materials that were used, such as concrete, steel, and even glass, can all have an effect on how radio wave signals are being both received and sent.

Again, all devices that both emit and receive their own radio wave signals, including your mobile phone, PC, Internet Modem, or Router can all be impeded or interrupted by natural elements, solid structures, and electro-magnetic and static fields.

So, keep in mind as well that in some rural areas, or if you are out in the country or roughing it out in the woods somewhere camping, that you may be limited to data and call availability for the simple fact that there just aren't enough available cell / radio towers around to cover the area you currently are in, and this can greatly have an effect on the kind of reception and signal you will receive when trying to place a call or do anything that involves using data.

I hope that this helps shed some light on possible causes of interference that you and anyone else has experienced before, and provides an informative guide on what to expect and look for when experiencing such issues.

aaronmartin
Thanks Mary, I really appreciate your reply and yes I restarted the device and that seemed to work. Thanks again

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @aaronmartin

Thank you for reaching out to us!

This issue sounds more like device-related. The best way to test is out is by inserting your SIM in another device and trying to make a phone call. If you are not echoing, the you can confirm it is your device.

You can also turn your phone off completely, remove the SIM for a few seconds, reinsert it and then power back on. 

Let us know if you need further assistance 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **
Need Help? Let's chat.