cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number appears to be pirated

genofeve1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I transferred my phone # over from Bell to Public Mobile about 9 months ago.  Everything was working fine, until 3 days ago, I suddenly couldn't access the network and depending on what happens when I reboot the phone, it either says "network not available" or "Sim not provisioned for Voice".  My bill payments are up to date.  I then went to check my usage and see that my phone #, in the past 4 days, has been dialing a number 778-580-4001.  I looked up the number, but also recognized it - it is from phone scammers pretending to be from the Canada Revenue Agency!  How did this happen?  How do I get access to my phone # and use my SIM card again?  

12 REPLIES 12

What ever happened to the cents sign on my iPad. 

Bento17

Absolutely a critical point in today's connected environment. Google's suggested passwords are a good way to go, even better yet is to write down your passwords in the back of a notebook because unless you are either very rich, very powerful, or have digital keys to something criminals would want to hack then nobody is going to break in to your house looking for passwords. The key here is not to leave your passwords laying right next to your computer, but you can't hack a piece of paper. Plus you can come up with much more complicated and secure passwords, unique to every service you use. 

That's my $0.02

ccf27364

This is a good reason not to use the same password for every site. I use the password manager in google to generate a different password for every site so even if one site gets hacked and my password gets out it won't affect any of my other accounts.

genofeve1

I'm guessing I am!  A few of my passwords to some random apps were hacked last week!

genofeve1

Thanks so much!  Yes, the SIM was mysteriously switched!  Dang, some people suck.

yuongmic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are you one of the victims of the huge Ledger hack a week ago?

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@genofeve1 wrote:

Thanks for this.  I actually had just arrived at this conclusion as I checked my SIM # a few seconds ago.  They did not match, meaning my account has definitely been hacked, I tried to put my original SIM # in and it says that it is already in use and/or invalid.   I have suspended my account in the meantime.  That 778 # is a cover up number that is used by phone scammers...checked it out online.  But that's neither here nor there!    Thank you so much for your input! 

PS.  A few days ago I got an email saying that one of my app passwords had been breached.  That was the first piece of the puzzle!!!

The 4001 number in your usage isn't because of the scammers. Those are from incoming calls sent to voicemail. Scammers who make calls can use any number but that fake number doesn't show in your usage. If they stole your account and made outgoing calls, it shows your number to the person they called but in your usage details, it shows the number they called, not the vociemail number.

Change your password and ask moderators if they can restore service to your sim. Open ticket through https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot .

genofeve1

Thanks for this.  I actually had just arrived at this conclusion as I checked my SIM # a few seconds ago.  They did not match, meaning my account has definitely been hacked, I tried to put my original SIM # in and it says that it is already in use and/or invalid.   I have suspended my account in the meantime.  That 778 # is a cover up number that is used by phone scammers...checked it out online.  But that's neither here nor there!    Thank you so much for your input! 

PS.  A few days ago I got an email saying that one of my app passwords had been breached.  That was the first piece of the puzzle!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@genofeve1 : The 4001 number is a voicemail access number. Nothing to worry about.

The much greater worry would be: if you can log in for one and if so go to Change SIM and take note of the last 4 digits of the registered SIM #. Then look at the number on your actual SIM card in your phone. Are they the same? My guess is not.

So Suspend your service using the Lost/stolen function and then change the password. Then change the password at the email server of the email you use in the self-serve. Then run around to all your financial logins and check for any losses and perhaps even change those passwords.

Then come back here and ask the mods to re-instate your original SIM and then Resume your service (if the mods don't) under Lost/stolen.

If that all takes longer than you'd like then go buy a SIM and use the Change SIM function and then ask the mods to credit your account the cost of the SIM.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@genofeve1 wrote:

I transferred my phone # over from Bell to Public Mobile about 9 months ago.  Everything was working fine, until 3 days ago, I suddenly couldn't access the network and depending on what happens when I reboot the phone, it either says "network not available" or "Sim not provisioned for Voice".  My bill payments are up to date.  I then went to check my usage and see that my phone #, in the past 4 days, has been dialing a number 778-580-4001.  I looked up the number, but also recognized it - it is from phone scammers pretending to be from the Canada Revenue Agency!  How did this happen?  How do I get access to my phone # and use my SIM card again?  

That number isn't CRA and there's no outgoing call. Self serve shows that when an incoming call goes to vociemail.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@genofeve1   just a fyi 778-580-4001  is the pm voicemail access number.

also since you have access to your account check that the last digits in your sim match the digits in the sim field in your account.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

0.what is the status on your MY ACCOUNT

1. re seat your sim and reboot 

2. phone your cell number from another phone

3. suspend your service online

4. contact a mod

5. buy a new sim and register it on your MY ACCOUNT

Need Help? Let's chat.