cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

I'm debating whether or not to wait for my port to go through 3 to 7 days (since it is considered a landline) or to just get a new number. What do you guys think? According to the mod team, my carrier hasn't accepted my request yet. I think today would be day 3.

12 REPLIES 12

@B12 wrote:

@computergeek541 

Like I mentioned before, if it is accepted I shall remove my other post about it.

There's nothing to worry about, because the messages marked for needing moderation will never get looked at. Modeartors can make the messages re-appear, but usually, it's not worth asking them. Nothing will happen automatically. Trust when I say that it's just one of those quirks of this website. Most times, these messages disappear after editing them a few times.

B12

@computergeek541 

Like I mentioned before, if it is accepted I shall remove my other post about it.

@B12 wrote:

...and as if to further my point... 🙄

What about this post needs to be approved?What about this post needs to be approved?

Don't wait or pay attention to the unmoderated items list. I do not believe that modearators even go into this area of the Community website for these messages that get sent to the moderator required list unless requested to do so. Your message got automatically marked by the website as possible spam and/or breaking the rules of the site. It doesn't mean that you're practicing either, just that that an automated script noticed behavior consistent to message that aren't allowed.

It's easier just to post your message or similar message again.

B12

if my post is "accepted", I'll take this one down.

The Principle.PNG

B12

...and as if to further my point... 🙄

What about this post needs to be approved?What about this post needs to be approved?

B12

A company can claim anything, ANYTHING, I don't care what the product is. A company can claim anything to make it sound amazing and great for the customer.

They say it's "quick, fast and painless" and although that page doesn't say it, in their FAQ and on the Port In page they do specify it can take 3 to 7 days on average and as pointed out by someone else on here on a different thread, it can take even longer than 10 days which is by no means "quick", "fast", or "painless".

If I don't receive a response from both my emails to Number Barn by today I will just get myself a new number because I'm tired of waiting and to be really honest here, the number itself does not mean that much to me. I didn't port it out of Fido (where it originally is from) because I actually wanted it, I ported it out of Fido due to principle.

TL;DR The number is not what I cared about, the principle is what I cared/care about.

The principle being that Fido and other telecom companies mess with us customers all the time. Constantly and relentlessly, and most customers won't go the lengths I went to get that number ported away from the company. I got chat transcripts to prove my case if anyone wants to see them. Fido had lied to me multiple times and tried to prevent me from porting out my number to ANY service other than their own.

As a brief example, I called in once asking if there were any issues on my account, the rep said very, very clearly and simply; no. Despite this answer, Number Barn kept telling me that my request that was sent to Fido was rejected by Fido 5 times. Each time for the exact same reason; my account number and PIN that I was supplying to Number Barn was "incorrect or missing". Well that's a load right there because that same rep that told me "no" also confirmed I had my account number and PIN right.

On my 6th and final attempt to port, before I attempted it, I had went into a Live Chat with an agent and they told me my account had "Port Protection" enabled on it. At that point, I called up Fido and told them to take it off, only THEN was I able to port my number out.

@kb_mv Quick means nothing unless they say how long.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire
@B12 wrote: ... I ported it to Number Barn for safe keeping and now I'm trying to get it here. Although if Number Barn doesn't act soon I might just get a new number.

@B12 Funny that their website advertises "Quick port in and port out with no hassles."

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 8.05.12 AM.png

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@B12 wrote:

I contact very few people. Changing my number would be very simple.

My main reason for keeping the number is that I've had it over a year now.

It was with Fido, I ported it to Number Barn for safe keeping and now I'm trying to get it here. Although if Number Barn doesn't act soon I might just get a new number.

Although it take up to a week to port your Number Barn number, you already waited for 3 days.    When you go out, you can use your mobile phone to call your friend.  It is only another 4 more days.  If it is for me, I will wait.  Number Barn may release your number tomorrow.  .

B12

I contact very few people. Changing my number would be very simple.

My main reason for keeping the number is that I've had it over a year now.

It was with Fido, I ported it to Number Barn for safe keeping and now I'm trying to get it here. Although if Number Barn doesn't act soon I might just get a new number.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@B12 

@B12 wrote:

Hi,

I'm debating whether or not to wait for my port to go through 3 to 7 days (since it is considered a landline) or to just get a new number. What do you guys think? According to the mod team, my carrier hasn't accepted my request yet. I think today would be day 3.

For me it would depends how important my current phone number is to me.   you could get new number for now, port that number to speak out wireless, and than port it to public. mobile later.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@B12 

How many friends and family know your landline number?

If all you have the email address for all your friends and family, it will be easy to send one email to tell everyone about your new phone number.  Otherwise, it may take time to phone every one.

Although it take up to a week to port your landline number, you already wait 3 days.  You can still use your old phone to call and receive phone calls at home while waiting for it to be ported.  When you go out, you can use your mobile phone.  It is only another 4 days.  If it is for me, I will wait.

Need Help? Let's chat.