cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Fraud

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Without getting into too many specifics just curious what exactly Public/Koodo is doing about this?

If someone does use the generator then a legit client comes along afterwards then what?

It's not illegal per se, but must rank up there as a violation of policy

13 REPLIES 13

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JL9 wrote:

Sorry...I must have missed the boat. What is this issue that is everyone is talking about?

People are fraudulently using public mobile numbers to take advantage of koodo's $45/8GB plan.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Sorry...I must have missed the boat. What is this issue that is everyone is talking about?

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Effort wrote:

I see, it's probably gone by now then. A clause should have been that porting the number had to be mandatory.

The mandatory number porting clause is there in the fineprint.  Koodo is not very strict in enforcing this clause.  People who didn't port numbers in the past have reported that when they call Koodo for customer service, the CSA point this out as a friendly reminder that they know.   Which means that those customers are at risk of losing their plan should Koodo decide to get tough on this issue in future.  Unlikely, but still a possibility.  

Effort

@imm1304 wrote:

Your PM number can be used to become eligible for a special migration promo offer reserved at Koodo for PM customers.  If someone else uses up your eligibility, then you will be denied the sepcial deal if you try to migrate to Koodo.  This, however, doesn't mean that anyone who knows your number can open an account in your name.  Hope this clarifies it.  

@Effort wrote:

Wait, what does this mean? Does this mean if someone knows my Public Mobile number, they can order a sim and plan with it?

I see, it's probably gone by now then. A clause should have been that porting the number had to be mandatory.

imm1304

Your PM number can be used to become eligible for a special migration promo offer reserved at Koodo for PM customers.  If someone else uses up your eligibility, then you will be denied the sepcial deal if you try to migrate to Koodo.  This, however, doesn't mean that anyone who knows your number can open an account in your name.  Hope this clarifies it.  

@Effort wrote:

Wait, what does this mean? Does this mean if someone knows my Public Mobile number, they can order a sim and plan with it?

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

It caught my attention as I know from experiance someone who Koodo more or less said no to

They outright cancelled orders for valid promo plans and refunded hardware

I even got involved (long running argument over a couple of months) where Koodo keeps running in circles and I even said the names associated with each number were not matches so wtf did Koodo cross reference them

Then read about this so now am wondering

And even more down the rabbit hole bizzarro world stuff:

I was attempting to port a number for the $40 / 6GB plan (as recently as a week ago Koodo denies)

Now (somehow) exact same phone number is eligible for the $45 / 8GB plan Cat LOL

Just weird all around

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

It caught my attention as I know from experiance someone who Koodo more or less said no to

I even got involved (long running argument over a couple of months) where Koodo keeps running in circles and I even said the names associated with each number were not matches so wtf did Koodo cross reference them

I was attempting to port a number for the $40 / 6GB plan (as recently as a week ago Koodo denies)

Now (somehow) exact same phone number is eligible for the $45 / 8GB plan Cat LOL

Just weird all around

Your cases are potentially right out of the twilight zone.  However, mentioning them here solves nothing especially under the title number fraud.  None of us would know with certainty what is happening in the background.  Exactly as I have already said, you are best served to take up your problems privately with the moderator team. 

@will13am

Just weird all around

Effort

thirstyturtle18
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They should make it so you have to enter your PM phone number and PM account number on the Koodo Promo. That should cut the fraud down.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

Without getting into too many specifics just curious what exactly Public/Koodo is doing about this?

If someone does use the generator then a legit client comes along afterwards then what?

I would hope that those caught will have the plan revoked and any other service by the provider cut .Make then go somewhere else. That it charge then with fraud

I don't know what it takes, but Telus has been known to refuse service to customers.  There was a thread on Howard forums where a customer was at a loss on why Telus cancelled his service and refuse to discuss with him reasons why.  He recorded the conversation where he sought to understand why but the rep would not discuss with him.  He claimed that the action was taken without merit but would not discuss what he thought might be possible reasons.  Of course, there is always two sides to a story.  Fact is, carriers do not have to do business with certain individuals at their discretion.

RFD is home to the entire range of characters.  It is well known that Telus is very generous with offering/wanting Public Mobile customers to be Koodo customers instead.  It doesn't take much to get the invite.  Yet there are schemers who are always looking for the easy way out and will cheat the rules to the extreme. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kav2001c, I made enough stink early on along with a few other rational members that the moderators at RFD appreciated the fraud elements in what was being discussed.  They have since removed all traces of reference to phone number generators.  Members have been warned of being banned for brining up the topic again.  I sought to deep six the entire thread but there was no appetite for that as was felt that the topic would come back right away and with even more discussion of what had happened.  I would suggest that you take this discussion offline also as there is no good purpose served by further discussion here.  If you feel certain actions need to be taken on this side, take it up privately with the moderator team.  The curiosity element for those who might not know otherwise is potentially impactful.  I would also say that your posts about how many rounds of migrations and the applicable promo codes is provocative for no good reason.   

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@kav2001c wrote:

I would hope that those caught will have the plan revoked and any other service by the provider cut .Make then go somewhere else. That it charge then with fraud

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

imm1304

Glad you brought this up. I was just reading the RFD thread and also thought it was crazy.  

Koodo should punish by taking away the promo from those they find have committed this sort of funny business to get in on the promo deal.  

From PM's side, the best they can do is support the legitimate customer's effort to migrate if any issues arises due to their number having been used fraudulently.  

Need Help? Let's chat.