cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving random texts

ORO
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi not receiving random texts but i see them on my phone bill but sometimes not receiving them on my phone

19 REPLIES 19

RSZ1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife has a Samsung phone provided through her job.  It's on Rogers network and would randomly not receive texts.  She bought a Pixel 4A a couple months ago and put the Rogers SIM in it.  There were a bunch of texts from months ago that suddenly came through on the Pixel 4A.

Tried a bunch of different things, including setting up the Google texting app on the Samsung and that still didn't bring in the missing text messages.

Seems like there is something with the Samsung phones that ignores random text messages. 

ORO

i have been in contact shortly after this with a tech from Telus/public mobile, to my problem he suggested that my phone (an old very basic 2 year old samsung) was maybe the culprit because everything else seemed to be in order, Update ....months later  i went ahead and changed phones because i need my texts to know when im working and problem went away its seems the phone was'nt displaying one text randomly sometimes and i would get no notification or nothing like the text was lost by the phone, anyway went and got a brand new moto g7 play and i love it its great, works well and i love all the hidden functionalities and has good battery life altho bigger then my old phone but i got used to that now . 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@maximum_gato  What are ya doin' posting as Max..... thought you were goin' back to your regularly scheduled programming? 😉

@ORO 

Unless your phone is really old or taken a lot of abuse would it affect something like texting you would see it more in call quality, signal strength that kind of thing. Phones new or old will just have weird issues crop up every once in a while. Just use these three troubleshooting techniques to fix the issue. If they don't work and you've checked your account to make sure everything is ok in there then you need real help. Either from the expertise of the community or from the moderators.

Keep these in your back pocket......

1. Reboot phone. (Sometimes your phone just needs to shut down for a minute.)
  2. Use airplane mode. (Or it needs shut out the network for a minute.)
  3. Use lost/stolen. (Or the phone and the sim card need to shut out the service.)

ORO

Did the airplane thing maybe im overdue to change phone since this is an old model, will see if the airplane mode thing helped soon... 

@ORO 

This sounds like a connectivity issue. Put your phone in airplane mode. Wait 5 min. Take it out of airplane mode. See if that fixes the problem....as it completely disconnects and reconnects you to the service. If it continues then log into your account. Report phone lost/stolen. Log out. Wait 5 min. Log in. Report found. Log out. Reboot. This disconnects your sim from the network. Airplane mode should fix the issue though. Good luck.

ctbmacdonald

My dad was having the same issue ONLY when he was visiting a friend.  He's on PM.  When he was home, no issues at all.  Maybe this will give you some ideas.

The preson lived in a deep valley and the signal strength was unpredictable.  Cellular data is not usable.  I spent about an hour sending him test texts to see if there was a pattern.  He was getting about 60% of SMS texts and 40% of MMS.  We did find a solution, but I would do some research before you go to these lengths.

He got a cellular repeater.  After he set it up, he got all my SMS/MMS messages and his data was working fine (full speed as per fast.com).

Test it in another location to see if there is a pattern to when you can/cannot get texts.  PM is great.  Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!  🙂

Good luck.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ORO wrote:

Hi not receiving random texts but i see them on my phone bill but sometimes not receiving them on my phone

@ORO  If they appear in your usage history and not on your phone then more than likely you must be blocking those numbers. Check your blocked numbers list.

Best to use the Google messages app for SMS messages and make sure it's set to the default app for messages. Also turn off RCS if you have it enabled.

@ORO  When you fail to receive the message is you phone in the same area or is it happening in various ones? And whats your available storage like? And is it from the same people or different ones?  

ORO

Forgot to mention i have tryed just every app on the play store including the stock app and tryed some twice  with no change 

@ORO wrote:

It happends randomly, texts, pics, mms, now way to test this since its random only happends sometimes i receive most but recently i did'nt receive an important one.

Random problems are most difficult to resolve.  Being random, I would say it is not hardware or service.  The finger should be pointed at the phone, likely the messaging app.  Try to troubleshoot that app or try a third party app.  Switching phone companies is rather extreme.  Think about it, if it was a network problem the impact is on many customers.  We are not seeing a lot of complaints here.

ORO

It happends randomly, texts, pics, mms, now way to test this since its random only happends sometimes i receive most but recently i did'nt receive an important one.

@ORO 

One way to determine whether it is your phone or PM service is to put the SIM card in anotehr working phone.  If the problem still exists with the other phone, then it is a PM service issue.  Still likely a hardware set up issue. 

Is the text a regular SMS text or picture MMS text that are missing?

ORO

Yeah it could be that,its an android,  im just trying to figure out is it my phone ? or PM because its been goin on for awhile , maybe i should just switch phone and phone compagny...

@ORO 

Which brand/model phone do you have?  

For examples, some times IOS/apple users have issues getting texts from Android users.  Vice versa.  

And the type of texts @ORO ? Any or just mms texts? Thanks. And the make and model of your phone?

ORO

texts from people i know 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ORO 

Are these texts from people you know? It could be apps in your background communicating to their servers. Some apps have SMS communication for information in their apps. 

Or is it text from friends? The other thing you can check is if your phone is blocking unknown texts. Thye might not show up on your phone but in the background, they are coming through. 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ORO Try force closing your text app and restarting your phone. You can also try a network reset. What kind od text? Are the texts only  mms ones or any kind? Whats the make and model of your phone?  Thanks.  Welcome to the community.  Stay safe.

Need Help? Let's chat.