cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving calls from government agencies.

kzavaduk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I input my old SIM card into a new phone back in January. Since then I have not been able to receive calls from my kids school or any government health agencies/hospitals. When they call they get a message that my phone number is out of service. Any idea why or what I can do to fix this? All other calls and services are working fine.

7 REPLIES 7

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@kzavadukJust to be sure any call forwarding settings are not inadvertently causing this, dial the following two codes:

##21#

##004#

Then you may want to test calling your number from a few sources, especially from non-mobile/land lines. As part of this you can try downloading one or both of the TextNow or Fongo mobile Apps, and see what happens when you call your number from that. If you also like you can PM me your number and I can test calling you from various line types.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@kzavaduk wrote:

I input my old SIM card into a new phone back in January. Since then I have not been able to receive calls from my kids school or any government health agencies/hospitals. When they call they get a message that my phone number is out of service. Any idea why or what I can do to fix this? All other calls and services are working fine.

@kzavaduk ,

If you do not have the previous phone, are you able to test your SIM into another compatible phone and test? To rule out a phone issue.

With the phone you are having issues with:

• fully shut down the phone for a few minutes, then reboot
  • ensure you have the latest Software Installed,
  • uninstall the Contacts and/or dialing app, then reinstall
  • try a RESET of your Network Settings

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What phone are you using?

Any chance those specific numbers have been accidentally blocked?  If it's an iPhone go to

Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts.

I read somewhere if you're sharing the same account and the other person has blocked the call your contact list number will also be blocked.

@kzavaduk wrote:

I unfortunately don’t have my old phone anymore. Do you think getting a new SIM card would be worth a try? 🙂

That's unlikely to help.  As I was saying before, the settings that could possibly make calls go be redirected to a different phone number that is not in service are the call forwarding settings. Those are set at the account level, but changed by setting them using the device.

As for if the SIM card is faulty, your services wouldn't work at all if it were faulty.

kzavaduk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I unfortunately don’t have my old phone anymore. Do you think getting a new SIM card would be worth a try? 🙂

@TheGx wrote:

@kzavaduk :Try put your SIM card back into your old phone or any other phone see if you can receive those government calls, if you can it means problem with your new phone - since everything works fine in another phone.

@kzavaduk 

The only device settings that I can think of that could possibly cause your phone number to be reported out of service would be the call forwarding setttings, and even then the calls would have to be phone number that doesn't exist.  Are the phone numbers saved in your contact list?  Some devices automatically reject calls that aren't.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kzavaduk :Try put your SIM card back into your old phone or any other phone see if you can receive those government calls, if you can it means problem with your new phone - since everything works fine in another phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.