cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal in Bowmanville Walmart and Canadian Tire

Canada2004
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I get no signal in these two stores in Bowmanville, Ontario. Signal right outside is fine but goes to nothing when I step in.  Currently using an iPhone 8 Plus that was used on Fido network at this same location with no issues.  

Does PM address signal issues?

And how quickly?

If they don’t , this might be a dealbreaker.  

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

most walmarts have their own or McD's wifi network if you can use it to shop prices.

Not sure about Canadian tire, newer buildings are more secure(concrete) hence signal interruptions but all newer buildings for CT have wifi. 

Loblaws, sobeys etc. have wifi too.

@Canada2004  honest, this thing can happen to other provider too. It is always some dead spot for some providers. 

Rogers has perfect signal at your Walmart but for sure have some problematic spots elsewhere.    Also, Bownanville is a slightly smaller town, the coverage wont be perfect.     

Canada2004

Everyone,  

Thanks for your feedback and comments.  Much appreciated.

Canada2004

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't use my cellphone a lot.  But when I do I want it to work flawlessly.  E.g. When I go shopping I look up prices, send texts, make calls to family.  Not being able to do so at all randomly is quite frustrating.  

og2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is normal with all cellphone companies. concrete walls are very bad for signal quality...

All Telus and Bell subsets will also have the same issues. They may be a little bit better because of Volte, but I highly doubt it

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Canada2004   this is a combination of weaker signal and materials used in the building.

I always notice I have weak or no signal inside some stores like Costco, Home Depot , Canadian Tires, or so.  I guess is the strong material used for warehouse.

And yes, you got signal for Fido because Roger has a signal towers right at Walmart as well as on Bloor and Maple Grove Road.   

The Telus/Bell towers in Bowmanville are not close.   Closest one is only a 2100 only tower at around Landerville Land (easy of Green road, south of the rail track).   That does not provide voice signal

The other ones that provide voice are  both around 5.5 KM to the east and to the west of Warlmart (close to Bloor and Hwy 418 and King and west of Scuggg St)

Waltmart has a mobile store inside, check with them and I believe they will confirm you the signal weakness there.

Do you work there? or just shop there occasionally?  Why the signal inside 2 stores will be a deal breaker?

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Canada2004

The cell towers location does have an impact. As your previous provider was Fido (which uses a roger tower) and Public mobile (which uses the bell tower), you might have different connectivity inside the building depending on the tower location. And the reason would be due to the building material that interfere with the signal.  You might able to get a reception by doors and windows in those buildings. 

In some building the lack of reception also happens at the dead center of buildings and impacts all carriers.

@Dunkmanhas great suggestions when it comes to changing network, they could work.

Best of luck

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Canada2004 

Maybe check the nearest cell tower to your location.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

For some customers, other mobile carriers would better for their location.  Public mobile uses Telus and Bell towers.  Public mobile does not have VOLTE features like Fido/Rogers.  

You might want to try to manually choose 3G network on your phone to see whether that makes a difference.  

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS). 
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).   

3G = 850 (5), 1900 (2)

4G = 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 (12/13/17/29), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7), 1700/2100 (66)

Some frequencies are better for indoors versus outdoors.  

Public mobile may address your signal issues, but likely a slow process.  You may want to contact customer service agent to see what CSA says. 

Need Help? Let's chat.