cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No service!!

I recently had a discussion about the fact that I have no service with Public Mobile: I was advised by a PM member that my phone device was flagged lost/stolen and to go back to the store where I purchased the iPhone 5S.

Well I did that and it turns out that APPLE has not blocked this device due to loss or theft nor has any other site we tried with the IMEI. The only company that has blocked my device  is Telus Canada and I want to know why???

Re: No service!!

I would like someone from Telus, who owns PM to investigate further instead of leaving me hanging like this. It would be greatly appreciated:) 

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you purchase it directly from Telus?  Do you have a receipt?   You probably have to go to a Telus store or call them to check, i doubt PM will have authority to override the IMEI blacklist

Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @mycellphone,

If I remember correctly, your phone's IMEI number was found to be blacklisted.  Blacklist is a database of IMEI (serial) numbers of phones reported lost or stolen.

You learned that Telus has blacklisted your iPhone. Thats not surprising, because only the wireless carriers can add a phone to the blacklist database. 

You can also check this for yourself by entering your iphone's IMEI number on this page:  http://www.protectyourdata.ca/en/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/

Did you buy this phone used?  If yes, a dishonest seller may have sold you a blacklisted phone.

If you were previously with Telus and got the phone on contract, some carriers are known to place the subsidised phone on the blacklist if contract is broken and device subisdy is not repaid. 

It was not a Telus store; it was a retailer that sold Apple and other unlocked devices; I was there today and the man was more that willing to help! It's Telus Canada that's blocking!

Telus is the parent company of PM.  However, PM operates independently and doesn't communicate on behalf of Telus. 

As @McLaren said above, you have to call Telus or walk into one of their stores and sort it out if you bought this phone from Telus. 

Public Mobile wouldn't have placed your phone on the blacklist because for PM to do that, you would have to report it lost or stolen first.  You can't possibly have billing dispute with PM either since PM is prepaid and doesn't sell phones on contract.. so basically, PM looks to be far removed from this issue. 

The phone was brand new... I was never with Telus, I was with Fido and I cancelled my contract with them. 

@mycellphone, the retail store owner has sold you a blacklisted phone.  Thats very dishonest of him. He is not actually helping you at all by telling you that Telus blacklisted it.

Demand an exchange.  Telus didn't magically just place a phone on a blacklist.  It must have been reported lost or stolen or belonged to a delinquent account that owes Telus money. 

In any case, a retail store should not be selling you blacklisted phones, its very dishonest and unethical.  Once a phone is on the blacklist, no carriers in North America will let you use it to get any service. 

Brand new phones are theoretically impossible to be on the blacklist.  Someone has to have used your phone.. so this is further proof that the retailer is not honest with you. 

There is 99.99% chance that the retail store sold you a used and blacklisted phone and lied about it.  Only 0.001% chance that this is actually a genuine mistake. 

You should either get this phone exchanged for another iphone 5s or you should call Telus and find out why a phone you bought from a store is blacklisted and ask them to remove it from the blacklist. 

If I were you, I wouldn't take the extra headache of calling Telus and convincing them that you are not using a stolen device and have actually paid for it and send them proof of purchase.. at the end they may still refuse to remove it from the blacklist.  I would go back to the store and exchange for another phone, make sure to put your sim card in and verify that its working before you leave the store.  Or, get a refund on your phone. 

It's funny how it got blacklisted recently, when I bought it in May and was using it until now. Meanwhile when I purchased the phone I was not alone in checking if the phone was blacklisted; it was not!! It's not the retailer that told me that it was Telus blocking it. I found proof myself before visiting the store today. There are many sites available for consumers to do that. I checked a few sites and Apple says it's clear, Canada National says it's clear; but a Global site says Telus Canada has blocked it. This phone was working for months before this happened.....

Need Help? Let's chat.