cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service

Sohpie91
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy SM-J260A and it won't pick up any service and the phones carrier is at&t and they can't help me

16 REPLIES 16

skf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The phone is probably locked to AT&T; you will have to have your phone unlocked for any other SIM to work.

@Sohpie91 

If you really believe it's locked to the AT&T network, that might be your only option.

If you got the device from someone you know who WAS the account-holder, they could assist in the completion of the carrier issues.

I'm guessing that's not the case, though.

Sohpie91

I could but I have encountered this before and I have the "tech" know how to do this so i should be ok i just wanted to see if there would be a easier option then that 

@Sohpie91 

@Sohpie91 wrote:

I could re root it and re install the right software to the phone so this way it can read it 

That is up to you.  If you are tech savvy.  However, if you make a mistake, that might make the phone more unusable.  

I wonder if you could buy an unlock code from some ebay vendors.  

Sohpie91

I could re root it and re install the right software to the phone so this way it can read it 

@Sohpie91 

Canadian carriers are suppose to unlock for free.

However, since AT&T is a US carrier, it has its own rules for unlocking.  Unless you meet the criteria for unlocking, you might be out of luck.  

@Sohpie91 

This could be a bit of a pickle for you... where did you get the device?

Was there an AT&T SIM card in it when you got it?

Since AT&T are not bound by Canada's rules for device unlocking (being headquartered in USA), you may wish to engage in a telephone unlocking service available in kiosks in malls or other online-type services.

This may be a buyer beware moment...

Sohpie91

So I gave it a try and they came back saying I was denied cause I don't have the account info for the plan or device

Sohpie91

Ok I will give it a try 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Sohpie91 

Use this service to unlock if it may be locked to AT&T

Unlock a Phone or Device - AT&T Device Unlock Portal (att.com)

Sohpie91

I have done that but I have no clue where the phone came from so I can give them the right info to get me the unlock code 

@Sohpie91 wrote:

The phone is not blacklisted and the sim works in another phone and yes I just a activated it as a new customer 

@Sohpie91  if the phone locked to its previous provider? (EDIT: as @Dunkman already posted previously)

Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you, at no charge to you.

You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Sohpie91

The phone is not blacklisted and the sim works in another phone and yes I just a activated it as a new customer 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sohpie91 

Are you a new customer?  Just activated a plan? ported over a number?

Is the phone locked to AT&T?  or is phone blacklisted?  

You could try the SIM card in another working phone.  this helps determine whether hardware issue versus Public mobile service problem. 

The actual phone should be compatible with Public mobile.

https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1341897/Samsung/SamsungJ260A

HSPA/UMTS (3G/4G): 850, 1900, 2100
4G LTE (Domestic): 2, 4, 5, 12, 14

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).  band 12, band 5, band 2, band 1, band 4
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).   B2, B5

Sohpie91

I will try the airplane mode but I have done the rest and no such luck 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Sohpie91 wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy SM-J260A and it won't pick up any service and the phones carrier is at&t and they can't help me

@Sohpie91 

Have you activated a Public Mobile SIM card and inserted it in the phone?

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings

Check for outages in your area: https://www.telus.com/en/on/outages

or https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

Need Help? Let's chat.