cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service since this afternoon.

Tenken93
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Been on public mobile for about 6 months now, no issues. Today randomly my phone lost service since about 2-3 PM. Currently 5 PM. I tried rebooting the phone, still no signal. Help!

22 REPLIES 22

@Anonymous 

It is very worrisome how this quite rare event is now almost daily. I wonder what the stats are for how many customers come to the community first vs those who directly contact the moderators because they easily recognize their issue to be resolved can only be done by a moderator. If we see 25% of customers making a service request that would leave at least 2 more sim jacking incidents per day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

I agree with maybe seeing those subject lines and asking that question first. But nor would I want to alarm them up front for a possibly innocent cause. Then launch into all that when they say they're different.

But I do wonder if the mods are awol due to dealing with a bunch of these things from people not bothering to come here or simply going straight to them. There may be many more that we're not seeing here.

M@Anonymous  @geopublic 

This has been happening with increasing frequency since late April while fraudent ports have decreased slightly. I  noticed the simjacking was happening about once a month then twice a month, once a week, twice a week and now almost everyday.......i don't like to jump to conclusions but if an OP posts the signs....no service, account paid and active....its seems the first instruction given should be: 

1. Check ....Do the last 4 digits of your sim card match the ones in your account?
  2. If no....report phone/lost stolen and change your password and/or change sim card.
  3. Contact your financial institution/credit cards and secure accounts.
  4. Change email passwords, and all other linked accounts and create a new email to use.
  5. Contact moderators to retrieve/restore/secure account and sim card.
  6. Do due diligence to secure personal info, all accounts, credit report agencies etc...

If yes....then we can troubleshoot all the other service issues.....reset network settings, airplane mode, autopay fail etc.....

Another good reason to always have an extra sim card on hand.....theyre not just for referrals!

+1. If that is the case then no one is safe. Time to stock on some spare cards just in case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

The number of sim swapping being reported lately is very concerning. I have a hard time believing it's weak passwords something else must be going on. Credential stuffing or an internal breach. I hope I'm wrong but this is not good.🤔😬

When I think of it once or twice a day I look to see that I'm still connected on my accounts. Concerning is a word. Wasn't there a Koodo breach a while ago? Maybe it included Public Mobile seeing as how they "share the same back end" and you can't use the same email address.

The number of sim swapping being reported lately is very concerning. I have a hard time believing it's weak passwords something else must be going on. Credential stuffing or an internal breach. I hope I'm wrong but this is not good.🤔😬

@Tenken93 

Well I'm sorry that I was correct. Hopefully the damage and the stress were more minor than major.

@SomeFriend wrote:

Did you get any text message from Public Mobile about that they received a request to cancel your account and port your number by any chance?  Can you try calling your cell phone number from another phone to see if it at least goes to your Public Mobile voicemail?

It’s also possible, while unlikely, your phone number is a victim of an unauthorized port.

@SomeFriend  No messages are sent by PM when a SIM is changed. No port out occurred as the account was available to check status.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Tenken93 

I'm sorry this has happened and is getting more common. I tried to list the most important things to take care of first.....to secure the account and cut the service to the fraudster and then save your finances.....getting your phone number back is not as vital as saving your accounts and credit cards first. I f you haven't already Check and change passwords on any accounts associated to your email such as PayPal, Amazon, social media etc....and put a fraud alert on your file with Transunion and Equifax.

KaidenRogers
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's not good. Not only do you need to change your Public Mobile password, but it would be wise to do a security checkup on all your other accounts too. Especially if they use 2 Factor Authentication(2FA)(Where an sms code is sent to your phone).  

I'd also recommend you check HaveIBeenPwned.com to see if you're a victim of a data breach.  

Lastly, I'd also recommend that you use a password manager. I personally use and recommend Bitwarden as it's open source. But there are also many others.

Hope everything works out for you.

Take care!

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did you get any text message from Public Mobile about that they received a request to cancel your account and port your number by any chance?  Can you try calling your cell phone number from another phone to see if it at least goes to your Public Mobile voicemail?

It’s also possible, while unlikely, your phone number is a victim of an unauthorized port.

Tenken93

thank you!

@Tenken93 

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "security or identity fraud issue"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

Tenken93

The last 4 digits do not match! How can I contact the moderator?

Thank you all for your help up until now.

@Tenken93 

Check and see if the last 4 digits of your sim card match the ones in your account. If they don't immeadiately change the password and then put your phone on lost/stolen. Then change your email password and phone your bank and credit cards to put them on hold and explain you've been simjacked. Then contact the moderators.

@gpixel wrote:

@Tenken93 check here if there is a cellphone outage in your area.

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus

@gpixel I never considered that! LOL

@Tenken93 check here if there is a cellphone outage in your area.

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus

@Tenken93 Try a network reset.

Tenken93

yes tried airplane mode, still no signal

Tenken93

Status is active!

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Tenken93 Did you try airplane mode on and then back off? Maybe a network reset would work for you. Not knowing your phone, if in doubt on how to do it, Google is your friend.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Tenken93 did you login your self-service? What is the status there? Active or... ?

Need Help? Let's chat.