cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service signal and network coverage keeps in and out.

alenadevlin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,
My phone has been giving me trouble and I'm looking for suggestions how to fix it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Since yesterday, my phone continues to go 'in and out of service'. Initially I thought the network itself was having issues, but it's clearly just me as other family members who use Public Mobile don't have the same problem. I am in town at home and normally have no problem getting signal or service, so it's not my location.

I've swapped SIM cards with my wife's phone and confirmed that the SIM card isn't the problem.

I've rebooted the phone and put it in and out of airplane mode numerous times.
I've checked the SIM card and made sure it's seated correctly numerous times. 
I've tried to manually select network operators, but Public Mobile usually listed. 
I've even done a factory reset with still no luck. 

The strangest thing, is that it's not just 'no service' all the time. It seems to come and go sporadically and I'll get a bunch of messages sent an hour previously.

Other ideas?
Thanks,
Rob.

9 REPLIES 9

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@alenadevlin 

You have done some good trouble shooting -- even a factory reset!?

Have you tried your wife's SIM into your device (good test, especially if she is with Public Mobile).

If it works, then I would check two things:

1. Log into your Self Serve and confirm the last 4 digits of your SIM card match the numbers listed there, under 'Change Sim Card'.

If they match - great!

If they do not match, list your phone into lost/stolen status and contact CSA to let them know.

2. Probably not the case, but just to make sure, check if your phone is blacklisted here: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

It could simply be that one of the frequencies/bands your phone was relying on has been temporarily shut down on the tower nearest to you, or possibly permanently if it has been refarmed for LTE use.

For example, Telus, at least in Manitoba, has recently relinquished their 850Mhz 3G band for more LTE coverage, leaving 3G service only operating in the 1900Mhz band, which could have less range, especially in basements, etc...

Maybe your wife's phone supports some additional band that yours doesn't. It is hard to say exactly unless you start installing diagnostic apps that can show you for sure what frequencies/bands each phone is actually using... for LTE there's a half dozen at least in use in Canada...

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@alenadevlin wrote:

To my understanding OP already confirmed that his SIM works perfectly in wife's phone.

Did you try wife's SIM in Your phone? Do you still get intermittent service? If yes, maybe your phone is slowly dying 😞

Beside cleaning SIM contacts on SIM card and in the phone you might try to air blow SIM slot in your phone (those can with air...) to remove potential tiny debris. Do not blow by mouth as you might introduce moisture and I would not stick anything in SIM slot not to damage contacts.

@alenadevlin 

Additionally to @hTideGnow 's advice check your sim card slot for dirt or debris and gently clean your sim card with a cotton swab and a little isopropyl alcohol.

Switching to the 3G network is unlikely to help if text messaging is also affected as texting works on both the 3G and 4G LTE network unlike calling which uses 3G only.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@alenadevlin It could be a SIM contact issue, if so, it's more hardware issue.

Any chance you have another SIM card from another provider?  It would be a good test to confirm if it is the hardware.  Some people might put a tab on the back to make sure it has a tight contact between the SIM and the phone (be careful not too thick and SIM might got stuck)

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Rob,

Another troubleshooting step is to put someone else's SIM (friend/family) in your phone to see if it works well. If it doesn't, then you'll know the problem lies with your phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alenadevlin 

visit to Coverage Map Here . 

or Here 

and check out TELUS Service Status outage

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone 

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN,
Spoiler
How to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and do Rebooting your phone..

and can you try your SIM card in another device to test your SIM card,

and if still not fix it you Have To Submit a Ticket To Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,

Explain your issue to they can solve your issue, they are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Submit a Ticket 

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck...

alenadevlin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live in Powell River, B.C. if that matters.

Rob

Need Help? Let's chat.