cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service - Account maybe compromised

T_J_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi my phone just randomly stopped getting service. I tried all the usual steps like restarting, resetting etc, everything i can on the phone itself and nothing. So decided to check my account and everything looks ok except I noticed under the change my sim menu that the current sim card number is not the same number as my actual sim card number. 

Is someone able to help me right away? Entering my actual sim card number gives an error.

28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Lornawill wrote:

All fixed now. They put my sim card number back on. Thanks!

I'd be asking how this happened and how to prevent it from reoccurring in the future.

I'd ask if it was a "computer / system glitch" or if you were a victim of sim-jacking.

Perhaps someone in the Community can tell us how sim-jacking happens and if there are ways to repel attacks.

There had been a data breach through Koodo last Feb. Not sure how much of that could include Telus and PM. If customers haven't changed their passwords since then then they run the risk.

As we often see here, people don't mind giving out personal information hither and thither. So clever crooks can piece all that together and make guesses or do social engineering with companies and continue to piece things together and make guesses. It's human nature not to have difficult passwords and to use them across multiple sites.

As soon as they can log in then they can do whatever they want. What I don't personally know is whether there's any kind of backdoor system log in that people have found. Then there's nothing anybody can do.

So have a difficult password and change it as often as you think "hmmm I wonder if I should change my password?".

Particularly with financial logins.

@hairbag1 wrote:

I'd ask if it was a "computer / system glitch" or if you were a victim of sim-jacking.

Perhaps someone in the Community can tell us how sim-jacking happens and if there are ways to repel attacks.

I am also curious if SIM jacking is common these days or if it is more common with PM.. maybe just I am following closer to the Community these days, SIM-jacking seems to be a topic keeps coming up here.. just makes me a bit worry

@Lornawill wrote:

I'd be asking how this happened and how to prevent it from reoccurring in the future.

Lornawill

@Lornawill 

Surely by now you have been contacted?

Lornawill

Yes . Put in a ticket but no response. I have reached out to mods twice with no response. Cant just go but a sim card as I am not anywhere near a place that sells them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lornawill wrote:

Wish a mod would reach out to me. Ridiculous. I dont believe my sim was jacked. Something with thier sytem screws up simm card numbers. When i research its always public mobile.

@Lornawill 

SIM-jacking seems to be a thing. If the last 4 digits in the self-serve are different from your physical card then that's pretty much what has happened. There was a data breach last Feb with Telus/Koodo. Were you a customer with them back then? Or perhaps you're a little too free with your personal information as suggested by your username.

It would be suggested to go buy a new SIM and do the Change SIM in the self-serve and ask the moderators to credit you the cost. That way you'll have service sooner than later. Then Resume your service and carry on.

@Lornawill wrote:

Wish a mod would reach out to me. Ridiculous. I dont believe my sim was jacked. Something with thier sytem screws up simm card numbers. When i research its always public mobile.

@Lornawill Have you reached out to a moderator? That is how it is done here. You contact them with a problem, they try and help you.

@Lornawill 

You submitted a ticket via simon and a moderator hasnt been in touch yet? There is no glitch when it comes to the sim # in your account. Either it matches or it doesnt. If it doesnt and you have checked your associated financials then getting recovery of your sim card is still paramount.

Send a private message to @CS_Agent  put "simjacked" in the subject line and include along with a detailed message the following:

1. Full name and address on account.
  2. Phone#, email and pin#.

Keep an eye on your private message box next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Lornawill

Lornawill

Had not had service for few days. Checked sim number and same thing has happened to me. How is this even possible? Impossible to get any help to correct this.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Its a good idea to have an spare simcard at home for this reason and also to give/sell to someone to get a referral. If you can get one for $2....thats a great deal. Ive never had any luck snagging it for that price.

@stevenanto  lol oh well at least Amazon worked for you . Have a good one!

stevenanto

@Jb456 Wow thats great to see that you can get them at 2$, definitely keep one on hand just in case. 

Im in the north shore and two stores didnt have and one stated they dont like to activate PM sim cards lol. It was very simple lol 

@stevenanto  I'm in Quebec. I get Sims at Walmart's all the time.  You have to go into the electronic department in the area where they sell phones. The Sims are not visible laying on a shelf. You have to ask the employee to open the locked area by their computer and that's where they keep em. Although you can't do that now at Walmart since there only open for essentials till the 11th of January. However I know someone that got one at Walmart on the south shore on Dec 22nd so Walmart definitely does sell sims. Yes at $10. 

I order mine (always good to have backups for referrals) from Canadian Cell supplies as it's always the cheapest. 

Currently $2 a sim.

Screenshot_20201231_071843.jpg

bradp36

Hey same thing happened to me! Going to reach out to a mod now.

T_J_C

A mod reached out to me and was able to get this solved. Thanks everyone for the help! All good now.

stevenanto

@Jb456 I got off amazon mainly because of the lockdown in my area, but I did call few local walmarts and they no longer carry public mobile sims. Ive read that they did give hem for free when signing up. Another option might be to go to a telus boutique but i believe that its 10$ there. This is mainly in the province of Quebec

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@T_J_C   unfortunately you're a victim of being sim jacked. As mentioned already you should start changing all passwords for anything attached to your phone number and check your financial institutions for any fraud. 

At this point you have two options to get your account back up and running. 

1- you can send a private message to moderators at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

They will investigate as they have a way to get your current sim card running back to your account. You'd have to wait for them to get back to you.

2- Buy a new sim card at a Walmart or if you have a London Drugs in your area. DO NOT ACTIVATE THE SIM CARD CARD.

Go into your account and click change sim card and put the new sim card number in. Then your account will be on that sim card and everything will work again.

Sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you.

stevenanto

@T_J_C  I would try another sim card from someone elses phone to see if it would work (from any carrier) if its fine then I would consider getting another sim (public mobile) and registering the new one. This has solved the problem for me when I was with another carrier. 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@T_J_C 

You have been sim jacked. Contact your financial institutions to make sure no funds are missing and change all the passwords. As well I would change all passwords on other accounts such as email, etc.

T_J_C

Thanks! Done that now as well.

BasesLoadedWalk

hit the chat icon and say you lost you phone. It will allow you to suspend your account until you get a hold of a moderator.

• Go to 'Plans and Add-Ons'
  • Select 'Lost/Stolen Phone'

T_J_C

I did that and it directed me to submit the ticket. I hope there is a way to get a hold of someone outside business hours.

BasesLoadedWalk

Click on the chat bubble icon in the bottom right and tell the automated bot that your account was stolen. Unfortunately I think you will have to wait until business hours to get this solved. I would delete any credit cards you have linked to the account as well.

T_J_C

I changed my password. How can i get a hold of the moderators? I submitted a ticket but it looks like those only get looked at during business hours?

BasesLoadedWalk

I would immediately change your account password and get a hold of the moderators. Sounds like a possible account/SIM hack.

Need Help? Let's chat.