cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more text messaging?

CatherineBD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I paid for the $15 unlimited texting / 100 minutes plan that comes with bonus 250 Mgb of data for my 11-year-old son earlier this month. He accidentally blew through the data in the first week of having the phone and now he can’t receive or send texts anymore either. If the texting part of the plan is unlimited, why doesn’t it work anymore? He can still text when on wifi, so we know that the problem isn’t the phone itself - it’s the network access.

16 REPLIES 16

their sons phone number probably wasn't registered to the apple id

@CatherineBD wrote:

Okay, after some online searching elsewhere, my husband and I managed to make the SMS messaging work. Thank you

@CatherineBD, what was the solution so that we can help others that have the same issue

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

You need to keep data on and check your apn settings, the line apn type that must contain mms

CatherineBD

Okay, after some online searching elsewhere, my husband and I managed to make the SMS messaging work. Thank you

CatherineBD

Yes, I understand that and have taken those steps already. It still isn’t working.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CatherineBD wrote:

Already tried turning off iMessaging and turning the phone off and back on again. Nothing helped.

Sending SMS(regular text message) does not need mobile data.

If he using an iPhone, disable iMessage so that his iPhone will use the cellular channel to send/receive SMS instead of iMessage using mobile data.  

Under iPhone Messages settings:
iMessage = disabled

CatherineBD

Already tried changing all messages to SMS. Still doesn’t work. Turned the phone off and one twice, too.

@CatherineBD wrote:

Already tried turning off iMessaging and turning the phone off and back on again. Nothing helped.

Ok so you turned off iMessaging but did you turn on Send as SMS?  This enables the phone to send texts when iMessage isn't available.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CatherineBD

The phone isn’t instructed to use iMessages anymore. It still won’t work on SMS.

Yes it shouldn't but if phone is instructed to use iMessages it will use data and not sms. 

CatherineBD

I’m really surprised the text messaging capability stopped when the data ran out. It shouldn’t have.

CatherineBD

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Sms is unlimited and it will not be counted against your 250, but you need to instruct your phone not to use iMessages and keep data on

@CatherineBD To expand on what @totalUser said, make sure the data is still turned on even if he has none left on his plan as it must be turned on to send and receive MMS messages. They do not count towards to 250MB limit.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@CatherineBD wrote:

I paid for the $15 unlimited texting / 100 minutes plan that comes with bonus 250 Mgb of data for my 11-year-old son earlier this month. He accidentally blew through the data in the first week of having the phone and now he can’t receive or send texts anymore either. If the texting part of the plan is unlimited, why doesn’t it work anymore? He can still text when on wifi, so we know that the problem isn’t the phone itself - it’s the network access.

Is he using an iPhone and his messages being sent by iMessage?  If so iMessage needs data.  You will need to go into the settings and have all messages sent by sms

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

You don't need data

Chose sms in your messaging settings instead of iMessages

You may need to restart the phone

Need Help? Let's chat.