cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data signal

lijh02
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently activitated a SIM card for a 10-day plan with 1GB data and Global Text for my son, who is in northern Quebec now. I checked the PM coverage, the area is covered by PM, however he can send/receive text but can not use data. It seems there is no data signal there. So far he only used data around 64M before he departed for northern Quebec. I am wondering if I can switch the data plan to the national wide call plan. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

lijh02

Thanks @sheytoon I will try.

Hi @lijh02
Did you try changing the CSC code for your Samsung Note 3? You'll need to change it from Globalive Wireless (GLW) to Telus (TLS).

Changing CSC will delete everything on your phone, so backup all important files/documents before you start.

First, find out your phone's unique IMEI. It might be on a sticker near the battery, or you can dial *#06#.

To change CSC:
Dial *#272*IMEI#
Replace the word IMEI above with the actual IMEI number from your phone.

lijh02

I tested it in Ottawa, both Text and Data (in 3G mode) are ok. The remote area, where my son stays, is within PM's LTE coverage. The Text works fine there, but no data. He tried @Luddite suggested but no luck.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Kid without data while away from home, this is more urgent than one might think!

@lijh02 have you followed the steps that @Luddite presented?

In particular, using his sim card in a different phone that you know works on PM in the area?

lijh02

My son tried many efforts but no luck to get data signal.

lijh02

Thanks! For now, I just want to get the 3G mode back.

@lijh02 Usually a factory reset clears the Wind programming; so rooting should not be necessary. BUT that will delete all the data on the phone, so be sure to backup.

Also, it is unlikely LTE vs 3G will matter much with only 1 GB of data. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

lijh02

There is no wifi there, that's why I put 1G data for him to check email and browse news....

lijh02

Thanks! I will ask him to double check the APN settings. It works at 3G mode in Ottawa.

lijh02

It's N900W8 (sorry for this). It works for 3G and LTE. It's unlocked from Freedom (former Wind Mobile), I checked it needs 'rooting' to enable LTE connectivity.

Are you sure he is not using a texting app on wifi?

Our "go to" site (http://willmyphonework.net) for checking compatibility with Public Mobile suggests that phone will not connect to Public Mobile at all. Are you sure that is the make/model?

Device FrequenciesSamsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9008  Carrier Frequencies Canada Public Mobile
2G Network:
3G Network:
4G LTE Network:

Carrier Network does not support 2G
Device not compatible
Device does not support 4G LTE bands

lijh02

Thanks a lot! I tested the SIM card and the data is 3G model (SAMSUNG note 3 N9008, I know it's needed to do somthing to enable LTE connectivity) in Ottawa. The 3G speed is fine for checking email, reading news. So I leave it as 3G rather than doing somthing to enable LTE connectivity.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

@lijh02 data in canada is actually canada wide, it is not restriced like the calling is. It could be the area he is in, some area's could have a weaker data signal than others. Do you happen to know if he is on iOS or android? If he is on android he may need to double check is APN settings 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

All data plans and data add-ons provide national coverage. If text is working then there is an issue with the phone setup. What is the make/model? There is a special workaround for iPhone 4's.

Here is the generic checklist for data malfunction:

- connects with wifi?

- cellular data turned on?

- login to the account confirm data is included in your plan and not used up

- if dual sim use LTE/3G slot

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles

- check for operating system updates

- APN settings correct Public Mobile

- delete current APN, and re-enter settings

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

Need Help? Let's chat.