cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No call service, but has SMS and Data?

winciy0412
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Since last evening, I noticed my call service no longer works (both incoming and receiving). When I tried to make a call, it keeps showing ‘Dialing’ and never shows up in the Call logs. When someone calls me, it goes straight to voicemail. The odd part is, there’s no issues with SMS and data services. Anyone got same issue and/or any idea how to fix this?

I didn’t transfer or port my number recently and currently on the grandfather 90-days plan.

Also tried the troubleshooting steps in 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Unable-to-receive-incoming-calls/m...

Thanks!

24 REPLIES 24

@mancini   maybe you should open a new post of your own, easier tracking

So, can you tell us exactly what you can do and what you cannot do?  

incoming calls? outgoing calls? incoming text? outgoing text?  data?

On the last week, some users has issue with incoming calls and text.  The quick solution is to use a secondary phone to help.

1. Power off the phone

2. Take the SIM out and wait for 2 min

3. Put it in another phone and see if it works

4.  If it works, then with the SIM still there, power off the secondary phone

5. Take sim out and wait for 2 min

5. Put it back into the original phone and try

mancini
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This has not worked for me. Any other suggestions?

winciy0412

@softech thank you for the inspiration! Apparently I did auto updates for my apps, and Google app was auto updated yesterday. Just noticed there's another Google app update now and did the update..And now both incoming and outgoing calls work! 

Glad at least factory update resolve your issue for now.

I think last week, someone has an weird issue with calls too.  Turn out he updated the messaging apps and resolved the issue..

teddy_44

I didn't see any notifications of an LG software/firmware update. Google apps are always auto downloaded and installed overnight.

@teddy_44 

Thanks for the update. Did you have a recent update to the LG7 phone?

teddy_44

I tried my sim in another phone (Samsung) and I was able to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls.

I opened a ticket with a CSA and they suggested the following.

1. Dial #31# + 10 digit phone number to make outgoing calls. This worked but still cannot receive incoming calls.

2. Disable the Google app: 

Settings - Apps & Notifications - App Info - Select Google App - Tap on Disable or Uninstall.

'Delete data and disable app?' prompt, tap YES. and then OK. This worked as well but only outgoing calls.

3. Factory reset. This worked for both incoming and outgoing calls. We'll see if a full update of all apps will cause the issue again.

@winciy0412 wrote:

@Dunkman Same, public mobile.

@winciy0412 

It would be interesting to try a different carrier SIM card.  Ideally, not a Telus company like Koodo/Telus.  Would this issue just be network specific?  

winciy0412

@Dunkman Same, public mobile.

@winciy0412 

is the phone a dual sim? try the other sim slot.

otherwise go to the APN settings and delete any previously saved networks, restart your phone and try inserting the sim again and test. 

@winciy0412 

Which carrier is your mother with?

Found this on google search, but you tried most of the troubleshooting advice:

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-an-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone-that-cannot-make-or-receive-phone-calls...

winciy0412

@Dunkman 

Same issue when I put my mom's sim in my phone. 

@winciy0412 

It would be interesting to find out if you put another carrier's SIM card in your phone, would the same problem be there?  

Last resort would be a factory reset of phone.  Hassle though.  

winciy0412

@Dunkman 

Yup, tried on my mom's and works fine. So it is indeed my LG G7's issue. 

Tried the following and didn't work:

• Restarting phone
  • Airplane mode
  • Network reset 
  • Took out sim card and re-insert

winciy0412

@Yummy Yea, the fact that it only affects calls baffled me. 

@winciy0412 wrote:

@teddy_44  Oh my, I'm also LG G7 Thinq! Did you get it resolved?😭

@winciy0412

Interesting.  Same phone.  Did you try your SIM card in another phone?  Was there a recent update for your phone? 

Maybe also try network reset of phone.   

winciy0412

@esjliv Thanks! I just using my mom's phone and it works.. Now I don't know how to resolve the issue on my LG G7 Thinq..

Just tried again, no issues in GTA area, calls go in/out.

It has to be region's issue. It will not hurt to try SIM in different phone but why would SIM suddenly stop working for calls but not for data?

winciy0412

@teddy_44  Oh my, I'm also LG G7 Thinq! Did you get it resolved?😭

@teddy_44 

You might want to try the SIM card in another working phone.  This helps determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem. 

Which part of Canada do you live in? Wondering if regional issue.

teddy_44

I'm experiencing the same issue. No call service since Saturday but SMS and data are working fine. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread but still no call service. Is this issue specific to a phone (mine is an LG G7 ThinQ)? 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@winciy0412 wrote:

Hi all,

Since last evening, I noticed my call service no longer works (both incoming and receiving). When I tried to make a call, it keeps showing ‘Dialing’ and never shows up in the Call logs. When someone calls me, it goes straight to voicemail. The odd part is, there’s no issues with SMS and data services. Anyone got same issue and/or any idea how to fix this?

I didn’t transfer or port my number recently and currently on the grandfather 90-days plan.

Also tried the troubleshooting steps in 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Unable-to-receive-incoming-calls/m...

Thanks!

@winciy0412 

Can you try your SIM into another compatible phone to rule out a phone issue/setting?

If still issues, check your location and coverage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Canadian Cell Towers

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Do you happen to know of others with Public Mobile service that are experiencing issues near you as well?

If nothing points to a phone issue and others in your area are able to call in/out; I would check with CSA to look into your account. Maybe they can reset something in the backend.

halendeng

Here are some troubleshooting ideas:

• Log in to your Self Serve↗ profile and check if your account is active and your plan still has available usage. If you are out of data, consider purchasing a data add-on.
  • Toggle Off/On the airplane mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Manually select public mobile's network on your device network settings.
  • Test your SIM card on a different device.

If it is still not working, you may need the help of a Customer support agent to take care of this issue.

Click here to submit a ticket

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/form/U2FsdGVkX1-scupm0IHcN1eD2u1tQf6My_kN1lvYi6kGX_ZuDjeB...

*You will need to sign in to the Community for the above link to work.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@winciy0412 

Just affecting call service....there has been an issue lately affecting incoming calls and text. But this is pointing towards an issue with 3G signal or settings since calls only use the 3G network. Check your settings and make sure you are on choose auto 4G LTE/3G but test by choosing 3G only. If you still have no calling then it's probably a network issue. Texting and data work in both so if they also don't work while in 3G only then check to need if there is a 3G outage in your area.

Need Help? Let's chat.