cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sim Card Issue with New PM Sim (Phone Works)

Akudakatsu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I bought a new PM sim in the hopes of transferring to PM at the end of my billing cycle but it doesn't work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that is working with my current carrier's sim card. When I insert the PM sim (and power cycle), the phone doesn't read it and shows No Sim Card, Insert Sim Card. I tried a suggestion I found on the forums, to add some backing to make the sim card as thick as the micro in my phone, but it didn't help. So any suggestions on fixing this? Or did I just get a bad sim and should order another?

Edit #1:

1. I have not yet bought a plan from PM, I inserted the sim to make sure it worked (and show no service because it's not activated).

2. My carrier is Koodo, and currently I have no other PM sim in the micro or changeable size, but I can check that tomorrow. However, Koodo told me that my phone is unlocked but I don't remember if I actively checked this; will do this tomorrow as well. Also, when I tested a locked S3 it shows Invalid Sim, not No Sim.

Edit #2:

But I've tested deactivated sims to check phone locks several times (not my phone; and they appear as detected and no service). Shouldn't deactivated sims behave the same as not activated sims?

Edit #3:
OK, so I finally activated my public mobile service and the sim is dead, still reads No SIM card - Emergency calls only. So what's my next step? I still need to transfer my number from Koodo before the final bill comes in but I need a working SIM to do that. And I need to do this in about a week.

Edit #4:

I tested the SIM* in a PM phone as well and it still displays No SIM inserted. So definitely I need a new SIM. Anyone know the turn around time for emails to PM?

Edit #5:

Yes, I activated the SIM before inserting it in my phone and left it in there for 20 minutes, incase it needed some time to read, no change in SIM status. (Also restarted my phones, both of the ones I tested).

Edit #6:

Solution: A new PM SIM Card that is NOT activated would simply state "Emergency calls only", and will not suggest or state messages like, "No SIM card" or "Insert SIM card". (At least that's how my new PM working SIM behaved in my phone). If the phone(s) are giving a "No SIM card" error or suggesting to "Insert SIM card" even when there is a SIM inserted, (2 phones of mine did), then the SIM card is not working, and a new one should be ordered. The exact messages will be different on different devices, but a working new PM SIM Card without activation will still work in the phone, it just won't provide service. Edit: All of the above is only true if the phone is properly working and unlocked or works with PM.

32 REPLIES 32

Akudakatsu

@Luddite @Shazia_K Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I thought I'd reply when I got my new SIM. This one works, and I replied back to the Customer Service with the information for porting my number as well, hopefully all goes well.

In a way I was right about the SIM card, because the new one works and doesn't state "No SIM card" or suggest to "Insert SIM" in the notifications.

Solution: A new PM SIM Card that is NOT activated would simply state "Emergency calls only", and will not suggest or state messages like, "No SIM card" or "Insert SIM card". (At least that's how my new PM working SIM behaved in my phone). If the phone(s) are giving a "No SIM card" error or suggesting to "Insert SIM card" even when there is a SIM inserted, (2 phones of mine did), then the SIM card is not working, and a new one should be ordered. The exact messages will be different on different devices, but a working new PM SIM Card without activation will still work in the phone, it just won't provide service.

Edit: All of the above is only true if the phone is properly working and unlocked or works with PM.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Akudakatsu,

I'm sorry to see that you have been having issues with your PM SIM card. 

As @Luddite mentioned, would it be possible for you to send me your current PM SIM card number and email address used for activation? 

Please private message it to me and I will be glad to assist you further. 

Thanks,

Shazia 

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

I think it would be useful for a moderator to check your account as well. @Shazia_K @Mary_M?

In a pinch you can port your Koodo number before the SIM arrives since your account is active. The bad news of course is that you will have NO service until the new SIM is registered; except for a VOIP app, like Fongo, over wifi.

It seems odd that SIMs are failing.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Akudakatsu

@Luddite Sorry for the late reply, was planning on replying after the new SIM.

a) The account status states "Active".

b) Ordered another one, just hope it comes in time before I start another month with Koodo.

c) That phone and number is for someone else's use, and the SIM is full size (not triple) so I can't fit it into my phone.

d) Yes, my Koodo SIM is still operational.

@Akudakatsu Some more thoughts:

a) When you log into your self serve account is the Status "Active"? 

b) Go ahead and order another SIM card from PM?

c) You said you have access to a PM phone, so why not put its SIM into your phone? 

d) Is the Koodo SIM still operating in your phone?

saukalra
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Okay thanks for the clarification!

Yeah in that case, it is probably worth trying a new SIM card like you said.

Akudakatsu

@saukalra Yes, I activated the SIM before inserting it in my phone and left it in there for 20 minutes, incase it needed some time to read, no change in SIM status. (Also restarted my phones (both of the ones I tested).

saukalra

Just to clarify, did you activate a PM plan on your SIM card before using it in your phone?

If there is an issue with the SIM, you can order another one. There is an option for next day delivery for a fee, otherwise the SIM will arrive in about 1 week. You can also tell us which city you are located in, and perhaps a community member would have a spare SIM that they can give you.

With regards to response to emails, they usually get back to you within 24-48 hrs from my experience.

Akudakatsu

I tested the SIM* in a PM phone as well and it still displays No SIM inserted. So definitely I need a new SIM. Anyone know the turn around time for emails to PM?

Akudakatsu

OK, so I finally activated my public mobile service and the sim is dead, still reads No SIM card - Emergency calls only. So what's my next step? I still need to transfer my number from Koodo before the final bill comes in but I need a working SIM to do that. And I need to do this in about a week.

JVdSousa

you are very welcome

keep us in touch,

regards 

Jose

Akudakatsu

If the lack of activation is really the problem, then I'll do that soon and check everything out, and update this post. Thanks everyone for you help.

The network is as stable as Koodo since they are on the same towers, etc. "Outages" are usually related to account issues, particularly renewals that hang up. These are now being resolved within 24 hours. 

Two step verifications that MUST use SMS could be an issue so you need a secondary that relies on the internet I think. Some of those will SMS to VOIP app such as fongo.com which is free, but some will not I understand. I regulary request application specific passwords that eliminate that issue unless I need to reset the account. I think some apps will accept email address as secondary verification.

Akudakatsu

@Luddite How often does PM go out? My only real problem is with having my number stuck in limbo because it is tied to two-step verifications. The other things like power outages and downtimes shouldn't affect me a great deal, as long as they don't last too long and hopefully don't happen when I need it to be active. xD

No charge for porting any number to PM.

I just put a unactivated PM SIM into my phone: "No SIM", "No Service Emergency Calls Only".

Without the SIM the messages are: "No SIM", "Emergency Calls Only".

Some additional detail here: Risk Free Activation - costs $10

If you must NEVER have an service outage suggest you read: SECURITY OF SERVICE

Akudakatsu

@littleburger I assumed that I could check whether the sim worked with my phone without it being activated because of something I read on the PM site/forums about buying a free sim and inserting it into the phone before buying a plan.

@Luddite My Koodo plan is active so hopefully that won't be a problem and I'm using a different email address here anyways. But I want to now is the phone number porting free after activation? I know some carriers charge for that if it's done after activation.

@Akudakatsu Your Koodo plan must be active in order to transfer your number to PM so I suggest you activate the PM SIM a week before Koodo expiry.

Also, there are have been difficulties moving from Koodo. Be sure that you use an email address different from that at Koodo when activating your PM account and activate initially with a temporary number. Initiate transfer once your PM account and service are active. 

Koodo/Telus phones do not need to be unlocked to function on the PM network. PM data plans are not monthly but for the duration you select; 10, 30 or 90 days.

littleburger

if you didn't activate and buy a plan, the sim card will not be working. Sim card will only work after actvation.

Akudakatsu

Okay, thanks everyone for the quick replies (really great community here). I'll check all the stuff tomorrow (can't do anything at the moment) and see what happens. The activation might have to wait (till the end of my current billing period). So I'll bump this then, or just post a thanks again. xD

JVdSousa

No problem .....  you are welcome 

Just need to remember .....  if you have not paid for the service, How can you expect service to be provided to you.....  

Keep that in mind .....

JVdSousa

Correct ........  to a point....

Will say the Phone has no SIM.......  that is as far as you are right .....

But you can enter or bypass that and go into a cell phone as if no SIM is installed .....

You can still get to the menu, assuming that you know the assword too if the password is setup on the phone.

Then from the menu there are ways to unlock and that will a service cost to you from those that know how to un-lock the phone .......

Jose

crazyfrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JVdSousa Thanks for the response regarding sim being not activated.

@Akudakatsu Like @JVdSousa mentioned, just inserting an unactivated sim card to check if it works does not yield you the result you have been expecting. You need to put in an active sim card that has been registered with PM. There's only one way to do this, you need to get a plan with PM and for it.

Alternatively, you can ask your friend in PM lend you their sim and you can put that sim in your S3 to test if your phone works.

Trust all these responses are pretty clear to you.

Let us know if you have further questions. This is PM family, we help each other.

crazyfrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@JVdSousa If phone is locked, then per my knowledge, one cannot get past Network Unlock screen asking you to input the unlock key. They wouldnt see No Sim Card message.

JVdSousa

Hey Akudakatsu

Welcome to PM ........  great place to be ..........

Akudakatsu

But I've tested deactivated sims to check phone locks several times (not my phone; and they appear as detected and no service). Shouldn't deactivated sims behave the same as not activated sims?

JVdSousa

But be certain that the CELL phone is NOT LOCKED with you previous carrier of your cell phone as well .......  or you need to UN-LOCK the phone or purchase another phone .......

saukalra

You do not need to unlock your phone if you were using it with Koodo, since both Koodo and Public Mobile use the same network (Telus).

JVdSousa

That is your problem .......

The SIM is just a SIM.........  

You need to create an account and pay for the plan that of your choice .....  select what you want from the choices and type in the SIM number to the plan that you set up.......

You select a NEW phone number or you can chose to convert your old number from the other carrier to your NEW plan that is to be attache to that SIM...........

When you pay the FEE for the plan it takes about a day for the SIM to be activated .....  

Only then will the SIM will work

Jose

Akudakatsu

So to add some information:

1. I have not yet bought a plan from PM, I inserted the sim to make sure it worked (and show no service because it's not activated).

2. My carrier is Koodo, and currently I have no other PM sim in the micro or changeable size, but I can check that tomorrow. However, Koodo told me that my phone is unlocked but I don't remember if I actively checked this; will do this tomorrow as well. Also, when I tested a locked S3 it shows Invalid Sim, not No Sim.

JVdSousa

There is another issue as well that you may be looking at.

And that is, is your cell phone locked with you previous cell phone provider ?

If it is "LOCKED" then you need to un-lock the cell phone or purchase a NEW cell phone .

Did you previous cell phone provider supplied you with the phone on a contract ? If the answer is YES, then the cell phone is likely to be locked to them ......  that means that you can ojnly use the phone with them only. Unless you have the cell phone un-locked 

Jose

Need Help? Let's chat.