cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service

mercuryPM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I am trying to activate my new SIM on my mobile but I received a text that says 'Network locked SIM card inserted". Can't use my phone now until you will reply to me. Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21

@hTideGnow 

Here's the simplified version of WCC.....

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm

And section in question.....

Unlocking

1. Any device provided by a service provider to the customer for the purpose of providing wireless services must be provided unlocked.
  2. If a device is, or becomes, locked to a service provider’s network, that service provider must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : It's a bit of a semantic interpretation going on. So I'll have a go. 🙂 Before late 2017, Canadian providers could lock phones. After that they couldn't sell them locked. They then also had to provide a code at no charge upon request for those prior sold phones.

of course I don't know when OP purchased the phone.  But the phone was a 2015 model.  Assuming the OP purchased the phone before the law was in effect, isn't that carrier has no obligation to provide the unlock code?? 

@hTideGnow 

Your info on providers unlocking phones is incorrect. The WCC implicitly states as of December 2017 that all Canadian mobile providers must sell/provide unlocked cell phones to its customers and/or provide the unlocking code free of charge ahd upon request by the customer without delay. The customer does not have to be a current customer with an active account for this to be done.

Rogers/fido/chatr has tried to institute a policy of not providing an unlocking code if you have not been a customer within the last 12 months. However this flies in the face of the WCC regulations and is grounds for a CCTS complaint. When the complaint is filed rogers always quickly settles so as not to get a black mark against its name and incur a hefty fine plus settlement costs. Being insistent with the customer service agent from the rogers tiered provider and the mere threat of a CCTS complaint will almost always illicit the unlocking code as there are cost associated with a CCTS complaint that the provider in question must pay for regardless of the outcome.

@mercuryPM

Customer service agents will often tell you your device is unlocked when it is not. The age of your device indicates that it is locked to the original provider. Take the above advice and call fido back and request your unlocking code. You will have to provide the IMEI of your device.

calling Samsung seems to be your only choice.  S5 Neo is old older phone from 2015 and carriers were not obligated to sell you unlocked phone back then. 

@mercuryPM 

call Samsung or fido to get the unlock code. nobody here can help you...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM : You get some kind of message or pop-up or something from somewhere. What does it let you do with that?

mercuryPM

That's the reason I need your help with what to do next bec. it's not accepting my SIM card when FIDO already authorized the transfer of my number I want to keep

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM : And then what? Is there an ok? Continue? What will it let you do?

mercuryPM

it's just saying that the network locked the SIM card inserted

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM wrote:

it says networked locked the SIM card

Just to be sure...is your phone set to English? Because that's slightly different wording.

Also, you said text...was it a pop-up type of message on the screen? Or a text to your texting app?

@mercuryPM   Did you buy this phone from your previous provider?    If so, they might be still able to provide you with the unlock code.

If not, you will have to contact Samsung

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM : Canadian providers are required by law to give you the unlock code on request. Robbers seem to like to cheat this law and make it difficult for their ex-customers. But I haven't heard of the others cheating like that. Bell might want to retain you before releasing the number.

So if they don't want to bother then contact Samsung. They'll do it for you.

mercuryPM

it says networked locked the SIM card

mercuryPM

it's Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

@mercuryPM   we are wondering if you phone was locked to you old provider and not your account.  

So, if you put your PM SIM card into the phone, is it still asking for a PIN?

What brand and model is your phone?

Did you buy this phone from your previous provider?  If so, when?  Phone purchased in the last couple years shouldn't be carrier locked.  Since you just left them (couple hours), there is still a chance to press them for an unlock code, i think

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM : That's not unlocking. That's the transfer of the number. Which will close that account.

mercuryPM

They already unlocked it. I contacted them and they messaged me that they approved the transfer of my number to PM.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

do you still have service with the previous provider where you got the phone from?  If so, contact them and ask them for an unlock code.  They might not do anything after you cancel the service

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mercuryPM : Sounds like your phone is still locked to the previous provider. You'll need to contact them. If it's a Samsung then they can do that for you too.

Need Help? Let's chat.