cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service on my new iPhone

appppppple
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just purchase a used iPhone XS Max yesterday. It is an unlocked phone, but when I put my Public Mobile SIM card in the new phone, I can't get any service. 

I can get service when I put the SIM card back into my old phone.  HELP!

34 REPLIES 34

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

If the OP was to test the phone.....we want the OP to test the pm sim card to see if it is working.

@quangbachle 

You should contact customer support and ask them to reset your account and reprovision your sim card. You could have just had an incomplete activation. This will take less time then going into town to test the sim card.

Put "sim card not working after activation" in the subject line and explain in detail the issue. Ask the CSA to check that hour account is properly set up and the sim card provisioned to your account.

Keep an eye on the envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen next to your avatar for a little number to pop up indicating a reply from a CSA. Responding promptly will speed up service times but you should have a response within an hour.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@quangbachle : I think I would be hesitant to take it anywhere. Try a SIM from a co-worker or any organization you go to for whatever reason and you're familiar with someone there.

You could try Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin/Lucky. You already know it seems to work in Rogers.

It's too much of a possibility that you're holding a stolen item.

@quangbachle wrote:

Yes, I saw a telus store in my town. I will go to and ask them to test phone.

HI @quangbachle  In case the Telus store sees your PM SIM and show no interest to help, you might want to tell them you want to switch over to Telus but seeing it does not work with PM now, you have no confidence to join Telus unless they can prove it works on your phone.    🙂

(and FYI,  if Telus Sim works on your phone, the PM SIM should work as well then)

quangbachle

Yes, I saw a telus store in my town. I will go to and ask them to test phone. About PM sim card, its already activated, and I think will give it for my son :D. We just went to Canada and everything's new.

Btw I bought in service in sim-unlock.net for Rogers. They said need wait 1-3 business days, so I will tell you if worked, hope that.

Thank you so much for care this, everybody. In case, if not worked, I think that's the time to buy a new phone ^_^

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@quangbachle 

Do you know anyone that you can test your pm sim card in their phone? Is there a telus or koodo store in your town that you could ask to test your pm sim card in one of their phones? You have activated the pm sim card?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's interesting to me that devicecheck.ca shows it as blacklisted but that Rogers isn't noticing. Maybe it was originally a Rogers phone? Telus used to have their own blacklist checker but they seemed to have scrubbed it.

I wonder if a Chatr or Fido SIM would work.

Google Translate:

Thật thú vị với tôi khi devicecheck.ca hiển thị nó là danh sách đen nhưng Rogers không nhận thấy. Có lẽ ban đầu nó là một chiếc điện thoại Rogers? Telus từng có công cụ kiểm tra danh sách đen của riêng họ nhưng dường như họ đã làm sạch nó.

Tôi tự hỏi liệu SIM Chatr hoặc Fido có hoạt động không.

quangbachle

Yes, I will go to store if can. But I'm living in small town and Apple Store near for 217km 😄

Iphone's all up to date with OS. I tried factory set.

Rogers can do all anything work perfectly such as receive message, call, phone...But with PM sim, it not have signal, showing NO SERVICE on the corner of the left :-).

@quangbachle wrote:

Yes, I contact with them via line chat because I talk english not good, only can chat. It made me easier.

Hi @quangbachle   If it is not going anywhere, it is still good to go to a store.  Apple provide good service and they can test with their SIM to confirm. 

your iPhone is all up to date with OS? 

Did you try Factory reset?

And so far with your phone, you tried Rogers and PM SIM and they both have some problem and not working 100%?  Any  other sim you tested and work 100% ?

quangbachle

Yes, I contact with them via line chat because I talk english not good, only can chat. It made me easier.

@quangbachle wrote:

Thank you very much for your replied. I contact with agent in Apple and they told me everything work good and my phone not stolen or something like that in Apple.

Actually the first I use sim Rogers for this sim and everything work good but I can not send text message but can receive message or phone/call (but can receive/send imessage good). So then I go to walmart to purchase a sim card public mobile and show error as I told you :-).

Btw I will contact with Roger or Telus to find out whats excatly happend in here.

Thank you ^_^

HI @appppppple 

How did you contact Apple Agent?  in person or online chat?  If you go instore, did they use their SIM to text it out?  or did you just chat with them online and they check the system and said the phone is ok?

Since you have issues with both Rogers SIM and PM SIM, I think you should go back to Apple Store and ask them to show you with different SIM they have an confirm phone actually works

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@quangbachle 

Maybe you made an error when you entered your IMEI on the device check site. The XS Max was offered by Rogers after its release in September 2018. While that is well past the date providers could sell locked phones its not unheard of for them to have "accidently" locked a newer phone.

Rogers can be notoriously difficult to get an unlocking code or in the case of an iPhone contacting apple to unlock the device on your behalf. Be insistent and if they balk at contacting apple tell them you will be filing a complaint with the CCTS. This should twist their arm to get your phone unlocked.

Best of luck!

quangbachle

Thank you very much for your replied. I contact with agent in Apple and they told me everything work good and my phone not stolen or something like that in Apple.

Actually the first I use sim Rogers for this sim and everything work good but I can not send text message but can receive message or phone/call (but can receive/send imessage good). So then I go to walmart to purchase a sim card public mobile and show error as I told you :-).

Btw I will contact with Roger or Telus to find out whats excatly happend in here.

Thank you ^_^

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@quangbachle 

If your device is blacklisted that is very different from being a locked device. Canadian providers have not sold locked devices since Decemeber 2017. A blacklisted device means it has been reported lost or stolen to the police and the owner then requests the device to be blacklisted with their provider. They are the only person who can get it taken off the blacklist. Generally the only other way a device gets blacklisted is by the provider when a customer with a contract and a device subsidy stops paying and keeps the device. Essentially stealing it or when a customer commits insurance fraud with a device protection plan. Almost all blacklisted devices are on the list because of a criminal act.

Since it is nearly impossible to get a device removed from the blacklist if you are not the owner who reported it high end devices like iPhones, flagship Samsung and Google Pixel devices are shipped overseas by crime syndicates for sale in foreign countries where they are easily used on mobile network providers that are not obligated to check if the IMEI is listed on the blacklist of another country.

Essentially if you are caught with the iPhone by Canadian law enforcement you are in possession of stolen merchandise. I would not pursue any further action on trying to get your device to work.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

quangbachle

Thank you very much for clarify the concern.

Actually I use this service https://sim-unlock.net

And now I will wait for unlock, hope can be successful.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@quangbachle 

Oh....I understand now. A blacklisted device is only blacklisted (rendered unable for use) in that country. It will work in other countries. It appears your friend bought a device that was blacklisted in Canada. You were unfortunate enough to buy the device for use in Canada the one country it can no longer be used in except by the original owner who blacklisted it. 

If your long time friend is honourable they will return your money and take back the device once you can return it to them. You will still need to purchase a device here to use. Figure out your budget and maybe we can help you find a device from a reputable retailer to ensure you get a legitimate device.

@quangbachle wrote:

Hi,

Oh yes, my phone unlocked. When I insert the pm sim card, it show NO SERVICE.

I live in Vietnam and recently I'm going to Canada as worker. I bought this phone from my friend in very longtime in Vietnam. And yes I'm the original owner.

When searching about this problems, I noticed:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/?fbclid=IwAR018hpYmMxyyDJMYr7E1wYvioDAk6JyzKLe...

My imei : ----

And I saw my phone BLACKLISTED, I dont know whats wrong in here? Can you please verify for that?

Thank you

@quangbachle  - we are customers/members just like you here on the Public Forum. WE are not Public Mobile representatives.

If you found your phone listed on the Blacklisted website, sorry to hear this. Either the previous owner or provider listed it this way.

You mentioned you are the original owner, but you also mentioned you bought it from your friend??

So, where did your friend get it from?

Are you currently in Vietnam, or are you in Canada? Public Mobile plans only work whilst you are in Canada. Or in the USA buy additional purchased addon are required.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@quangbachle 

Please click the arrow on the right side of your post to edit and remove the IMEI of your device as it is a security risk.

Talk to your friend to see if they blacklisted the phone. Otherwise unless you blacklisted the phone it is nearly impossible to get it removed. You will have to get another phone unfortunately.

quangbachle

Hi,

Oh yes, my phone unlocked. When I insert the pm sim card, it show NO SERVICE.

I live in Vietnam and recently I'm going to Canada as worker. I bought this phone from my friend in very longtime in Vietnam. And yes I'm the original owner.

When searching about this problems, I noticed:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/?fbclid=IwAR018hpYmMxyyDJMYr7E1wYvioDAk6JyzKLe...

My imei : 

And I saw my phone BLACKLISTED, I dont know whats wrong in here? Can you please verify for that?

Thank you

@quangbachle 

Is your phone unlocked? What message do you get when you insert the pm sim card? Where did you get phone? Are you the original owner?

quangbachle

same problems with iphone XS MAX. Actually firstly I used Rogers but it can not send message but can receive message, also can receive/send via imessage iphone, very strange. So then I goto walmart and purchase a new publicmobile sim card, it not working. I put sim to another phone, it worked. What should I need to do now?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@appppppple 

sorry from where you purchase ?

@appppppple try connect your phone to computer/iTune for update

and also, try another SIM on your phone to see if it works

appppppple

Did that, it is unlocked 

@appppppple 

To check if your iPhone is locked, open Settings and tap General -> About -> Carrier Lock. An unlocked iPhone will say No SIM Restrictions.

appppppple

Unfortunately, I do have another SIM that I can try. 

Bought it used, and I'm sure it is unlocked. Just Double-check that too.

It is not blacklisted either.

appppppple

Hi,

I don't have another SIM that I can try here. I live in a rural area, and the closest apple store is 2 hours away.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@appppppple   did you try another non-PM sim on this phone?  does it work that way?

also, try plug in your phone to a computer, fire up iTune to download all the updates and carrier Profiles

Lastely, for all Apple users, you paid big money .. for the great support .. Go to Apple store and they are your "friends"  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@appppppple 

the issue in that device, 

you can try do factory reset

1. From the Home screen, tap Settings.
  2. Then tap General.
  3. Scroll down to then tap on Reset.
  4. Select the option to Erase all content and settings.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@appppppple wrote:

Hi,

I just purchase a used iPhone XS Max yesterday. It is an unlocked phone, but when I put my Public Mobile SIM card in the new phone, I can't get any service. 

I can get service when I put the SIM card back into my old phone.  HELP!

@appppppple 

Are you able to try another working SIM into your iPhone XS Max?

Check here to be sure, it is not blacklisted: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

How do you know for sure it is unlocked? Did you buy new, unopened or other?

@appppppple 

Are there any carrier updates you need for your phone by connecting it to itunes?

Need Help? Let's chat.