cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service - Provisioning Issue?

jamdiver
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Very frustrating to have no signal all of a sudden, now I have a ticket in, and the wait begins. I read this issue on other recent threads that boiled down to a provisioning issue with PM. Not a bad sim, have done all the troubleshooting, now waiting for my phone to work. How long have others normally been without service?

26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel : We don't know where the actual phone came from. My assumption would be that the buyer thought it would be a good idea to go to a store with the seller and check that all is good, that it's not blacklisted, it's not locked etc. All good. And a fine, safe idea. Due diligence and all that. Then a whole year later the "system" catches up with the phone and now it's blacklisted. Sucks.

@jamdiver 

It was a private seller, we met at the Bell store and had it all switched over with them.

so a bell representative help you switch the phone into your name? if this is the case then you shouldn't be affected by their bad choices

I'm assuming the previous owner ended up cancelling their plan on bad terms and because the device was still associated with their account, it was blacklisted... 

you need to speak with bell not pm mods. they can't do anything for you

@jamdiver 

Start with Bell and see if they can offer any insight on it being blacklisted. If it originally was registered with a different provider that you are aware of then try them as well. It is fairly limited with whom can list the phone on the blacklst.

1. The account holder that the brand new phone was first registered for service with.
  2. The current owner of the phone thru the provider it is registered for service with.
  3. The original provider that a device subsidy contract that has been unpaid for.
  4. An insurance company that has supplied device insurance for the blacklisted device that has settled and paid out a claim for that covers device cost.

Best of luck tracking down how your device was blacklisted.....that is unfortunate luck. Here is a suggestion for a new phone perhaps....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver : I'm just thinking of stuff. I don't _know_ these things. I'm trying to think of innocence rather than fraud. I also don't know the time lag of someone adding to some system somewhere and for that to flow to wherever. You could also try some other IMEI search sites but I seem to think devicecheck is reputable.

I also seem to think I've read somewhere of nefarious transference of an IMEI. Maybe somebody has "borrowed" it for their own otherwise blacklisted device.

Edit: although I don't know how that would work. Maybe that makes no sense.

jamdiver

The amount of time that has passed since we owned this phone should have a limitation for old debts, if that is what it is, and I really do not think that is the case. We cannot be without, so will have to purchase another, however I will want follow this through to understand how some data entry can cause this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver : Ah. Sucks. Good luck.

A previous story was that the phone started life with AT&T and somehow an insurance company blacklisted it. Lack of payment? Dunno. Now he has a swell paperweight. Or a portable hand-held computer and connectable to wifi. But no cell.

Uh oh... @jamdiver 

Purchasing a phone from a private seller is very risky.

There could absolutely be a legitimate reason for it being blacklisted and there is very little you can do about it unless you're able to track down the initial supplier who blacklisted it and settle the matter with them.

jamdiver

Hi,

It was a private seller, we met at the Bell store and had it all switched over with them.

@jamdiver 

I figured it could have been this which is why I mentioned it initially - even after 1 ½ years some other users have found their device to become blacklisted for various reasons.

It really is not a nice thing to happen - and if you can determine the provider who registered it to be blacklisted you might be able to work with them toward resolving the matter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver : I seem to think we've been seeing a few more of these occurrences recently. Did you buy the phone new in a sealed box from Bell? Or did you buy it used from a private seller? Or a "lesser" retailer?

My thinking is that someone somewhere mis-typed an IMEI and caused your phone to arrive on the blacklist. I don't know how to get it off.

jamdiver

Ok, I appreciate the info thus far. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jamdiver 

When you receive your reply from a Moderator, you can work with them (and/or Bell if you choose) to see what things you can try to resolve this.  As fellow users, there isn't anything we can do to help with a Blacklisted device.

jamdiver

OK, wow, I am getting a blacklist message and that makes NO sense. Even our Bell account had a credit, no amount owing. I would guess Bell is responsible for this, we had an ordeal with them unlocking my phone previously so I could switch. What happens from here? Are there options to get off the blacklist and how do I find out why it was placed there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver : You said two SIM's from two active accounts work in one of your phones. And neither work in this one. That points to a device problem.

BlueB

@jamdiver 

We understand your frustration, but again - Public Mobile is a no-frills community-supported service provider.  For business/work use, if you require good company-provided support, this may not be a service well-suited for you.  You may want to look into upgrading to Koodo or better yet- Telus or another top tier provider.

Otherwise, we're trying to step you through a few troubleshooting steps.  First, please check your device's IMEI again now at:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

jamdiver

It has been over an hour since I submitted a ticket and no reply. This is a work phone with many contacts that need to be in communication. Is PM service reliable or could we deal with this every time there is a network upgrade or other change? The price is right, but not with service issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver wrote:

IMEI was checked when it was activated on the Bell network over a year ago. Switch to PM in Feb.

Understood. Try it again anyway.

BlueB

@jamdiver 

Try checking again in case the status was changed for any reason... (dial *#06#)

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Let us know the result.  Also, you can try and reset flight mode on, then off again, and do a manual Network Search to see if that makes any difference.

jamdiver

IMEI was checked when it was activated on the Bell network over a year ago. Switch to PM in Feb.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamdiver wrote:

He has had this phone over a year now.

Any result from devicecheck?

jamdiver

He has had this phone over a year now.

SO, @jamdiver 

If BOTH SIM's work in your device, but neither work in his, is it possible his phone may have been purchased 2nd hand and has been blacklisted?   (or did he purchase it NEW from a store)

If 2nd hand, check here: (even if new, still check here to be certain...)  

To get the IMEI# of the device, dial *#06#     It will work and display even if phone service is inactive:

Check the Status of Your Device in Canada - DeviceCheck.ca

jamdiver

Yes, just dead air, no ring, no VM, nothing.

jamdiver

This a.m No Service displayed,  I had to give my other phone to husband to use at work. This evening I pulled both PM sims and tried in each Iphone and they work in mine, not his. Account is auto pay and not an issue there. Ran other troubleshooting, network reset, nothing worked.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @jamdiver 

This varies wildly.

Hopefully, the Moderators will first confirm that the SIM number hasn't been compromised.  You may wish to pull the SIM from your phone and note the last 4 digits to supply the Moderators to ensure it matches the one associated with your file.

When did you first notice the no service and I presume your self-serve account displays "Active" and your account hasn't been allowed to lapse into a suspended state.

@jamdiver wrote:

Very frustrating to have no signal all of a sudden, now I have a ticket in, and the wait begins. I read this issue on other recent threads that boiled down to a provisioning issue with PM. Not a bad sim, have done all the troubleshooting, now waiting for my phone to work. How long have others normally been without service?

Have you tried calling your phone number (using a different phone)?  I'm wondering about your service possibly having been assigned to a different SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.