cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer

Rusty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi guys I just signed up for the 15 plan 

What's the best way to get free data? Do I need to upgrade my plan to trigger anything? I don't really use my phone for calls. 

16 REPLIES 16

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Rusty , nothing is FREE in life. But, if you need a hug, hugs right back at cha!

The best option is finding a Wi-Fi spot. Free internet service, one can get at any local library, coffee shop to Chapters. Even a few public places have them too from museums, restaurants, and shopping centres. 

Data, not free. Someone gotta pay for that.250mb come with your $15 plan, unless it's only a talk and text plan!

If you upgrade to the $40 plan as suggested, and if you do the auto-pay ($2 a month), help a few people in the community ($1 to $20 a month), stay with Public Mobile after a year to 5 years ($1 a month to $5 a month for every year of loyalty) to referrals ($1 a month per referral until they leave), in theory, you could get a free plan.

I would have to think the top oracles and posters are pretty close to that free plan. I am not close, but, am no longer paying the $40+ plans anymore!

@gblackma wrote:

@Rusty , currently there is th valentines contest, 20 people will win 1 gig of data each.

If you haven't entered the contest do it through this link, you can only enter once.

It seems you overlooked the OP's post(or MAYBE you were busy typing at the time the OP hit the "Post" button?), just a few posts further up the page, in which he said, "Yeah I saw that promotion but It doesn't apply to me. Vday is a tough time. I won't lie about it."

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

BUT there are free SIM cards at London Drugs for a day or so IF you activate in the store. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Rusty wrote:

What's the best way to get free data? Do I need to upgrade my plan to trigger anything? I don't really use my phone for calls. 

@Rusty  No free data promos currently to take advantage of but if you signup for alerts then you can be ready for the next one. Smiley Happy

PMalerts.PNG

@Rusty wrote:

Ok cool beans. Thanks. The answer was those free data addons were just one time top ups that I was seeing. Now me gets is 🙂

If you need alot of data, you'll need to upgrade to a plan with more data but at a cost. Review the PM plan menu for your choices.

One alternative is to get a free voip app such as TextNow. You'll get a free Cdn phone number and you'll be able to call (Canada and US #'s) and text as long as you have a strong wifi signal. Works good but I'm sure there's other voip otions too.

@Rusty you are welcome. Using this link https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Scroll down to "sign up for deal Alerts"  and sign up.

Rusty

Ok cool beans. Thanks. The answer was those free data addons were just one time top ups that I was seeing. Now me gets is 🙂

@Rusty , currently there is th valentines contest, 20 people will win 1 gig of data each. The people you are talking about signed up under certain promotions which gave them the bonus data. And depending upon the fine print could do that. On The $15 plan as I mentioned above, you have to manage your data carefully. 

And as far as I know, GPS doesn't use data. Other ways to save data is to use apps such as Facebook, Twitter etc only on WiFi.

If you haven't entered the contest do it through this link, you can only enter once. Good luck. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Happy-Valentine-s-Day-Share-how-you-spr...

@Rusty wrote:

Well I dont use my phone for calls and I only have 1 friend. But I see people on 40 plans talk about getting free data addons then downgrading plans keeping the data. The data is good for me for GPS / maps etc. Everyone is in their phones. I want to be on mine too 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rusty 

There was a free gift of a gig back in the summer. There was another before Christmas along with the 400 minute add-on.

Data attached to promos usually come with strings. Like not changing plan at all or not changing down below a threshold. But sometimes they allow you to do whatever.

There was a promo of 5gb with ordering a SIM online where the only strings were using the same email address for ordering and activation and the first month with a set plan or more. Then it was changeable. I couldn't resist that promo and then I changed down to the $10 plan when it still existed. I use it as my data phone to hotspot to.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

What you're asking is not possible.

$40 plan give you 4.5GB of data plus 500mb with autopay bringing it to 5gb of data per 30 days. You can't downgrade. Because then you would be charged right away for new plan that you select and you would not be refunded for $40 plan you paid for. Then you would get the data that is offered for new plan and loose the 4.5 GB plus 500mb bonus for autopay from $40 plan.

I think you may be confused. What people are asking. Is many received bonus data from previous offers and they ask if they switch plans will they be able to keep their bonus data offer. In some cases yes and in some cases no depending on the terms and conditions of the promotion they signed up for.

Others also have gift data from previous holidays. For example over Christmas Public Mobile gave away 1gb of bonus data to all clients. People ask if they will loose it if they switch their plan. These people are told no they will not loose it as that data is an add-on gift.

I suggest you look at the plans offered and see what one fits your data needs and then you can change plan at next renewal. To that plan. At next renewal means you keep current plan that you're on. And when due date is you will be charged for new plan and it will start then

@Rusty 

Rusty

Well 2GB would be great. I was at the doc's for a yearly annual and saw I burned 30mb just with light browsing. So basically I am paying 15/mo but won't be using it except for 2fa. 

Rusty

Yeah I saw that promotion but It doesn't apply to me. Vday is a tough time. I won't lie about it.

Rusty

Well I dont use my phone for calls and I only have 1 friend. But I see people on 40 plans talk about getting free data addons then downgrading plans keeping the data. The data is good for me for GPS / maps etc. Everyone is in their phones. I want to be on mine too 😁

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rusty what do you mean free data? There is no such thing as free data .

If you are implying unlimited throttled very  slow data then you need to go to another provider. 

How much data do you need a month?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

With $15 plan you can get 250mb if you addd autopay. You also get a $2 reward per 30 days bringing your plan to $13 with autopay.

Screenshot_20200201_045056.jpg

Also try your luck in 1 gig promo for Valentine's at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Happy-Valentine-s-Day-Share-how-you-spr...

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Rusty signing up,with autopay will get you 250 mb of data. There are no hidden trigures to get free data. If you are heavily data dependent, this plan is the wrong one for you. You have to move up. Alternately if you are worried , that texting will use your data. It doesn't. Data has to be enabled to send and receive mms messages. You dont even need data to do it, daya only has to be on.

To conserve your data enable updates only on WiFi,  disable background programs from using WiFi, and turn on data only when required and to send receive mms messages.  Welcome to PM .

@Rusty wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.