cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account. No Service on iPhone 4 even though IMEI verified

har5hd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The SIM doesn't seem to connect to the tower. It shows No Service on iPhone4.

The iPhone4 is unlocked and verified on Public Mobile website as a device that should work. I tried the SIM with another phone and it connects to network, showing 'public mobile' at the top left.

I'm trying to get basic call service. I do not have Data plan.

Any help here is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 11.14.59 AM.png

19 REPLIES 19

@ferrarelli wrote:
@computergeek541 thanks for the info. The iPhone 4 was on wifi the whole time but never obtained service until I plugged it in. Would the wifi connection not have been adequate to do that prior to me connecting it to iTunes with a cord?

I'm not sure which versions of iOS the iPhone 4 was updated to.  I'm certain it's not on the newest. Activation without the use of a computer was something that came out in more recent versions (last few years).

ferrarelli
@computergeek541 thanks for the info. The iPhone 4 was on wifi the whole time but never obtained service until I plugged it in. Would the wifi connection not have been adequate to do that prior to me connecting it to iTunes with a cord?

@ferrarelli wrote:

Seems to have solved itself. 

I went to plug the iphone 4 into my mac and was about to attempt a factory reset. After my computer recognized the phone, it picked up wht public mobile network.

When inserting another company's sim card, this often needs to be done.  I know that the newer versions of iOS do have a feature to activate using wi-fi or cellular data, but the old fashion way of connecting your phone to your computer and activating with iTunes is the way that I'm most familiar with.  The reason your Public Mobile service started working when you connected your phone to iTunes has to do with the fact that your computer would have been connected to the internet.  Through that internet connection, you phone connects to an Apple activation servers that checks to see if your phone must be used with a specific carrier only, or if the IMEI number is in a database to allow any sim card to be activated.

ferrarelli

Seems to have solved itself. 

I went to plug the iphone 4 into my mac and was about to attempt a factory reset. After my computer recognized the phone, it picked up wht public mobile network.

ferrarelli

I'm having an identical issue setting up an iphone 4, iOS is 7.1.2. It is saying "no service".

I've confirmed the SIM card works in another iphone 6. All the features work.

I've called my old service provider and confirmed the phone is indeed unlocked.

I attempted to import the APN settings using www.unlockit.co.nz.

I cannot find the mechanism to toggle 3G.

Any help is appreciated.

@Shazia_K

@Mary_M

@Saray_O

@Caroline_D

choco

You must use 3G with any of the operators running under the {Bell+Telus} network, that includes Public Mobile.  Many people associate 3G => data, and that "if you don't need data you don't need 3G", which is absolutely not true.  

Think of it this way:

- 3G off:  "allow my phone to connect to GSM network only"

- 3G on:  "allow my phone to connect to UTMS or GSM networks"

Bell/Telus has not operated a GSM network (only UTMS and LTE), thus 3G switch must be on.

amrita183

Same happened with me. I turned on my 3g data and it worked 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@har5hd welcome to Public Mobile!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

har5hd

Thanks @Mary_M Cheers to that. Yes, this was a peculiar case. I suspected it had something to do with the frequencies since my friend's iPhon4 works just fine with PM.

Well it sort of makes sense. Fido can connect 2G or 3G; PM only 3G. On auto select it must be trying 2G. Crazy solution but glad you found it.

For just calling and texting older phones are definitely the most cost effective. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@har5hd wrote:

If I toggle the 3G off, PM goes away and turns to No Service.

Thanks you so much for your help @Luddite @ute1978

You are welcome. This would have been my thought too, but I wasn't sure if I should suggest it.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Glad to hear that it now works @har5hd.

Usually, when a SIM is functional in one device and not in another, we assume the possibility that it's locked. It's always best to try every troubleshooting step.

Your case was different, but at least resolved 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

har5hd

This is so strange.

It works now. I think when I put Fido SIM in, it enabled the 3G automatically, and now PM SIM works.

If I toggle the 3G off, PM goes away and turns to No Service.

Thanks you so much for your help @Luddite @ute1978

@Mary_M I appreciate your answer too, but it seems like it is a canned reply. It would be great if your canned replies were more useful.

har5hd

@Luddite

Thanks for checking in.

- Yes, SIM works on the other phone (iPhone6, unlocked). I was able to place a call.

- Yes, I have 2 SIMs that work with iPhone4, the device I need to work with PM. I tried Fido and it worked. I have an Indian SIM and it works too.

- Account shows Active

- Software is up to date

I'm thinking if this has to do with Carrier settings or if I need to toggle data on/off with some settings?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @har5hd

Sorry to hear that you're unable to connect to the PM network.

Everything on your account appears in order. However, please keep in mind that the IMEI checker on our website dos not confirm if the device is unlocked to function with Public Mobile; it simply states if it is compatible to our network or not.

Is the any way to verify with your previous carrier (or whom the device was purchased from) if it is unlocked?

Please let us know,,

Maria

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Couple more troubleshooting questions:

- when you had your sim in the other phone did you make a call? That would ensure servce is active.

- have you tried a different sim in your phone? If it is unlocked any carrier sim will do.

- log into your self serve account to confirm the plan is correct, and shows as Active.

- connect your phone to wifi and check for software updates in case there is a carrier update available.

You are correct that data does not even need to be turned on if you plan to do no texting.

har5hd

Thanks for your replies.

I have ordered a province wide talk plan. No data plan. I do not need data or text.

I've also updated my APN to sp.mb.com. I've switched on my Cellular Data even though I do not need it. I restarted the device as well.

The phone is iPhone4. iOS 6.x iOS 7.1.2 (software up to date) See IMEI information attached. Interestingly, it says TELUS16.0 in the Carrier section of the About settings.

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 11.51.03 AM.png

Yes, please indicate the plan you have chosen. Picture texting will not work without data turned on.

Is it an iPhone 4 or 4s? What is the operating system; iOS 7?

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Did you order a talk plan?

Did you change the APN settings in your phone?

APN

sp.mb.com

Need Help? Let's chat.