cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim but status is Emergency Calls Only

iracoma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Bought a new sim today at walmart cause when I checked online it says that my phone is compatible (Honor 4c - sub brand of Huawei)

They said its activated but appears "emergency calls only" on my phone. Already did a lot of rebooting at the store earlier and still got the same result, told the staff that I'm gonna try for a day and see if it will work. But same status til now.

SOS 😔

11 REPLIES 11

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@iracoma wrote:

... maybe I'll just request for a refund tomorrow

Unfortunately, PM is a prepaid service and there is no refund for prepaid service.  Prepaid service is not like postpaid service which people can try for 15 days and can request a refund.

srlawren

@iracoma unfortunately the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's site is known to often produce false positives.  The communtiy recommends using https://www.willmyphonework.net, or checking the specs yourself manually.  We have been asking PM to fix this for years with no luck.

@Alan_K two for two on seeing this issue the past 2 days.  Please fix this, thank you!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

iracoma

@Anonymous

thanks for the site.... it's an all "X" for my phone... maybe I'll just request for a refund tomorrow

iracoma

yeah my phone only suppports WCDMA / GSM..... though before I bought the sim, it said online that it will be compatible 😔😔😔

popping

FYI

People may ask why my phone works on Rogers network and not on PM Telus network?

In Canada Rogers was the first network to support SIM card GSM(2G) phones and Telus/Bell networks was still using CDMA phone at the time.  When Telus/Bell decided to support SIM card phone, they decided not to support GSM(2G) and went to 3G support.  Therefore, if your phone supports GSM frequencies and the 3G/LTE frequencies which are not used by Telus, your phone will not work with PM.  It is time to get a new phone.

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is your phone unlock? If you tried your sim with another phone and it works, most likely your phone is not compatible. I had the same issues when I first got my sim. I am on a newer phone now and it works perfectly. 

smartin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you tried to use this sim in another phone - just to make sure that it is active? That is a certain way to say to know for sure if that is is phone or service problem.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@iracoma, the honor 4c is not compatible with the Public Mobile network.  You need 850 and 1900 Mhz bands on 3G.  This is an Asian model. 

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_4c-7203.php

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@iracoma wrote:

Bought a new sim today at walmart cause when I checked online it says that my phone is compatible (Honor 4c - sub brand of Huawei)

They said its activated but appears "emergency calls only" on my phone. Already did a lot of rebooting at the store earlier and still got the same result, told the staff that I'm gonna try for a day and see if it will work. But same status til now.

SOS 😔

@iracomaUL-00 or UL01? Both versions of Honor 4C may not work on public mobile. Which one do you have?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Will-Huawei-Honor-4C-work-in-Public-M...

@imm1304 wrote:

Are you sure the model variant is UL-00 and not UL01?    I just checked and the 01 variant is not compatible with PM.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@iracoma wrote:

SOS 😔

Did you check willmyphonework.net? It's a start. These kinds of reference sites aren't always 100% accurate but they'll give you an idea.

There appear to be a couple versions that aren't compatible with Public Mobile according to  that site.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@iracoma wrote:

SOS 😔

@iracomaYou "bought a new sim" as in, replaced your old one? Already a customer?

Or you just activated a new phone plan?

Did you port your number in?

When you log into self serve does it show your plan as activated?

Check in self serve if the last 4 digits match when you click "change sim" do the numbers match?

Need Help? Let's chat.