cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Setting LTE or 3G ?

cossak2007
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

While talking to Telus this past week about another issue,  they mentioned that all Public Mobile users should be using 3G instead of LTE settings.

Is there something that I may have misunderstood as to the reasoning of their statement?

24 REPLIES 24

cossak2007

Have since installed Lineage 17.1 custom rom on my Moto Z instead of Stock rom.

Instead of 3 choices for Preferred network type, I have many now.

Have set network type to LTE / WCDMA to cover LTE and 3G.

So far the phone works great with no network issues.

winston11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would say leave it to lte just to stay on the safe side.

cossak2007

Speed test results

3G    10.2 mb/sec

LTE   70 mb/sec

Thanks to all for their input 🙂

@cossak2007 the older 3 month plans came with LTE speeds. another way you can check is google speed test. Then test your speeds if its over 3Mb/s then you have LTE speeds. If its the throttled Lte like many of us have it will come in between 3mb/s and 7mb/s this is what I have personally found. 

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cossak2007 wrote:
My Plan

This is what I got

• This plan includes: -
  • - 12GB Data
  • - Expired
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

Right. So as already mentioned, you don't see it saying 3G, so therefore you have LTE.

cossak2007
My Plan

This is what I got

• This plan includes: -
  • - 12GB Data
  • - Expired
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

@cossak2007 I don't think it displays as full lte, but it is. if it isn't labeled 3g, then it's full LTE

@cossak2007 

Under your Plan & Add-Ons TAB on your account in Self Serve...will look something like this:

Plan and Add-On Detail in SELF SERVE

cossak2007

Can't find whether LTE or 3G in my plan.

Where exactly am I supposed to find this info?

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cossak2007 

I have an iPhone SE, for me I tried both settings 3G and LTE and seems better and faster on 3G on my phone 

@cossak2007 you should be on full LTE. Log into your self service account and see if you are. If it doesn't say 3g speed then you are.Stay safe. 

@cossak2007 wrote:

I am on the old 90 day plan..almost 4 years ago.

Is Buddshek2 correct that I have full LTE?

@cossak2007 

You likely have the full LTE.  Check your self service account.  Plan details.  If 3G, it will mention 3G speeds.  If no mention of 3G, you have full LTE.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Network latency refers to the time required for a packet of data to travel round trip between two points. ... As a general rule, the lower the network latency, the better the user experience.

cossak2007

I am on the old 90 day plan..almost 4 years ago.

Is Buddshek2 correct that I have full LTE?

cossak2007

What is LTE latency.?

buddshek2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ii believe that you are on the $120  12gb for 90 days grandfathered plan which has full LTE. Your data is not slowed down. You should keep it on LTE all of the time.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cossak2007 

PM uses 3G for voice calls only.  Therefore, you should not configured your phone to use LTE only.  I configured my phone to auto switching between 3G and LTE.

KMan32
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Perhaps set it to automatic then check apn settings 

@Danchvn wrote:

If you do set it to 3G I'm told you would also not receive emergency alerts as they apparently use 4G.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

You are right that the official emergency alerts won't be received if LTE is disabled.

However, such information is often provided by Google or various weather apps. Using this method to receive this information requires an internet connection, while those that are sent out through the official alert system do not.

Danchvn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you do set it to 3G I'm told you would also not receive emergency alerts as they apparently use 4G.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

@cossak2007 wrote:

While talking to Telus this past week about another issue,  they mentioned that all Public Mobile users should be using 3G instead of LTE settings.

Is there something that I may have misunderstood as to the reasoning of their statement?

The information that you were given by Telus is likely an encouragement to experiment with this setting and to compare data peformance.

However, I would not automatically follow information provided by Telus unless that employee is spefiflcally trained in Public Mobile matters.

To say that all Public Mobile customers should only use the 3g network is also factually incorrect. If someone is on an old LTE plan, this will usually only result in slower data speeds.

@cossak2007 you get edit  LTE speed throttled to 3mbts but there is a latency in the system that allows you to get unthrottled 3g speed max 20 mbts or 40 mbts depending on the bands available. You can set It to either LTE or 3g as mentioned by @Dunkman or both depending on what's best for you.@sheytoon  is better able to explain this . Stay safe. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@cossak2007 wrote:

Telus Reps are going to say that to try and really differentiate between their data.  While yes there is a speed difference it isn't noticeable to the everyday user.  On LTE you will get better latency but capped at 3 MBs.  If you connect to the 3G network you can get faster speeds but lose on the better latency.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@cossak2007 

You could choose either.  

Most customers leave on LTE, since then you will get LTE latency, with 3G capped speeds.  

Other customers manually choose 3G speed.  No capped data speeds, but you will lose the LTE latency.  

Depends on what works better with your phone and your specific area.  

Need Help? Let's chat.