cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Review

eruthc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How is the reception of this network? can I get any feedback on the service?

22 REPLIES 22

@eruthc wrote:

I would like to know the reception in every corner of the country or even in the US.

While you can look at the coverage maps of the advertized coverage areas on the Public Mobile or Telus websites, there isn't any way to know for sure the exact coverage of every location.  As for the U.S., Public Mobile doesn't have a network and the coverage will depend entirely on the roaming partners.

eruthc

I would like to know the reception in every corner of the country or even in the US.

@ShawnC13  OH HELLZ NO - if I was going out of my way to get to the other side of the river, and go for a drive in the countryside around Abbotsford, I'd make sure to bring a tape measure with me, and get some concrete info! 😁 

@CannonFodder , jump the fence and pace it off see how close you were to your estimate of distance between them!!!!lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@LovesToPM  & @ShawnC13 , check this out..... after my last post here, mentioning how I figured the Rogers tower would probably be ABOUT 300 ft. closer to us than the Telus tower, I did some looking, between that cell tower map, and doing Google Street view, and I came up with the picture below.

That'd likely be the Rogers tower, that I mentioned above, in the foreground of the pic, with the Telus tower in the background - looks like the scale on the cell tower map was fairly accurate!

FYI, this is a pic on the south side of the Fraser River, making that tower in the foreground ever so slightly closer to us, and making a significant difference in the signal strength at home. 😲 

Rogers_Telus_CellTowers.JPG

LP1986

Overall, this service is reliable and dependable.  Online is easy to navigate

@LovesToPM wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CannonFodder  and @eruthc  here is a great site to check out the location of cell towers.  CannonFodder you may find that your closest isn't to close.

While I have no idea of what constitutes "not too close", when lookin' at that map, it shows there's not a whole lot of towers in our little area. OTOH, it shows a Telus and a Rogers tower at the exact, same location on the map, to the north of us, and a Telus and a Rogers tower at almost the same location(the Rogers one is slightly closer), to the south of us, and reception around here on the Telus network is poor, but quite good on the Rogers network. 🤔 

It looks like you already answered any question you had.

Well..... MAYBE..... I JUST had a 2nd look at that map, and when I 1st looked at it, I thought the set of towers to the north were about as close as the set to the south, but upon closer examination, the ones to the south actually are closer, which would, in fact, make the Rogers tower closer to us..... and if the distance scale on that map is semi-accurate, that would make the Rogers tower closer by..... oh.... about 300ft. 😄 

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@eruthc wrote:

The reception is pretty much the same as any carrier.

In my experience I have had dropped calls from time to time if they go ~30 minutes or more and I have since contacted the mods about this and it hasn't been an issue although I haven't been on the phone for ~30 minutes after contacting them either.

Texts can take about 1-5 seconds to send sometimes, usually under 2 seconds. I mention this because when I had any second or first tier provider the texts were instant 99% of the time.

As far as data goes, it's 3G capped at 3MB up and down. I don't care for it but good in emergencies.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@CannonFodder  and @eruthc  here is a great site to check out the location of cell towers.  CannonFodder you may find that your closest isn't to close.

While I have no idea of what constitutes "not too close", when lookin' at that map, it shows there's not a whole lot of towers in our little area. OTOH, it shows a Telus and a Rogers tower at the exact, same location on the map, to the north of us, and a Telus and a Rogers tower at almost the same location(the Rogers one is slightly closer), to the south of us, and reception around here on the Telus network is poor, but quite good on the Rogers network. 🤔 

It looks like you already answered any question you had.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@eruthc wrote:

I was with Chatr 3G plan when Rogers took over Mobilicity.  Chatr is 3G only and no LTE.  Rogers is a ON company who pay for all of it cell towers in the east and in the west. I live in AB.  Rogers provides the LTE to their paying customer.  I do not get any 3G data in big box stores like home depot or RCSS.

PM has tower sharing with Bell.  Bell concentrates its effort to build solid netwrok for eastern Canada.  Telus is a western company and concentrates it effort to build solid newtork for the western Canada.  PM offers 3G full speed as well as LTE capped as 3Mbps.  I setup my phone auto connect to LTE and 3G signals which ever the strongest.  Now, I have no issue to get data inside big box stores like Home Depot or RCSS. 

PM should change the name to LTE lite instead of using 3G.  It is confusing to the new PM subscribers.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@eruthc I have no problems.  I really haven't had any problems in Toronto anywhere.  Very happy with my PM service.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc wrote:

I've had a PM account since Jan 2017 and am very happy with it. The actual network uses Telus backbone so if you've ever used Telus...PM is the same.

Some people require alot of "hand holding" when they run into the occasional glitch and they're used to a call center for help. Here, we use the richness of the Community Forum members for initial trouble shooting. Most times issues are handled in a matter of moments. Personally, I find the Forum to be preferrable to an off-shore call center.  Anytime I had a question, it was met with an answer / suggestion / solution in very short order.

Any account related issues are directed at the PM Moderators for their intervention. They usually get back to you quickly but can take awhile if it gets busy. Sometimes you'd have to exercise patience.

As long as you have an unlocked phone....you'll probably have no problems coming to PM from somewhere else.

Give it a try....I'm glad I did.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ddufour
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have noticed that my network will shut off even though I have it on Auto Connect. I have heard from a few people that they have tried to call me and do not get my voice mail and the phone rings and then disconnects.  When I look at my phone, the network is off...then when I begin to use my phone...the network reestablishes connection....I do notice that the actual reception when talking on the phone seems clearer than what I had with Bell.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@eruthc wrote:

PM uses the towers shared by both Telus and Bell.

To find out more about your area, check the coverage map: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Well, the coverage map only tells PART of the story, because where we live, although we're within the coverage map's boundaries, the signal is poor. If I'm out somewhere, it's fine, but just not at home, so the coverage map can't be completely relied upon. It also partially depends on your device, because with my PM SIM in my wife's phone, my reception at home is actually better than with my phone.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Network reception is fine and no real difference is noticed with 3G. Great to save a lot of money as well.

@Staliger wrote:

@eruthc wrote:

One of the largest networks n Canada. Stable 3g internet. No discomfort regarding service.

@Staliger 

Just a reminder that 3G here is a misnomer, I still prefer the term LTE light. Where possible from the network side and allowed by the phone settings, data is delivered over LTE with the according latency / responsiveness. It's just the speed of the delivery is throttled to 3 Mbps.

This is totally adequate for most uses of the average user. VOIP, E-mail, social media, browsing, navigation, music streaming and the occasional YouTube work flawlessly. Only if you do regular huge file transfers, HD streaming or online gaming you might feel the limits (and you might not be with the right provider for that anyway when it comes to quantity.)

P-Ran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have no issues since signing in December 2019. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc wrote:

PM uses the towers shared by both Telus and Bell.

To find out more about your area, check the coverage map: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Personally I find the service works well. It's no frills with plan prices to match.

Calls are made on 3G network, there is no voLTE.
Mobile data works on either 3G or throttled LTE (download speed up 3 Mbps).

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc may be helpful to sy which area you are from. So that PM community members can answer your question. I'm in Toronto and service is great. I'm using a Samsung j1 2016. Welcome to PM. 

@eruthc wrote:

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@eruthc wrote:

One of the largest networks n Canada. Stable 3g internet. No discomfort regarding service.

Need Help? Let's chat.