cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Reception

jennynguyen1993
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was at Shoppers Drug Mart in Vancouver, BC and had no signal to make a phone call. I live in central area of Vancouver. I had no reception issue in the area with my old carrier. I just recently switched to Public Mobile. In my house, I have only 3-4 lines of the signals shown on the phone. Is there anything I can do to improve the network?

13 REPLIES 13

@nierth 

I guess no frills extends to your mobile coverage too once you enter their retail locations.

nierth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Usually when that happens, it could be the building blocking the signal. I've had that problem especially at No frills with other providers too.

jennynguyen1993

Thanks for letting me know.

@jennynguyen1993 

I live near broadway and main in vancouver and my reception is excellent. Occasionally i will lose reception in back corners  or deep into no frills on broadway and the one on west fourth. And near the back corner of save on foods (dairy section) at cambie and 7th. The stores on the ground floor of a large concrete condo building or hi rise can lose reception once you hit the middle of store/building.

Those two grocers the only places ive noticed any issues on the odd occasion otherwise reception in arenas, hospitals, big box stores, skytrain, seabus, airports etc...is unaffected.

@jennynguyen1993 I agree, you should have  good reception downtown whats the make and model of your device?

• try resetting your network settings
  • enable/disable lost/stolen mode in your self serve account to try and reset your sim network
  • change your preferred network type to 3g and see if it changes. 

@jennynguyen1993 wrote:

I used Fido before. I even had Chatr before and reception was never an issue for me phone. 

Both Chatr and Fido are owned by the same parent company Rogers. The reception at Public Mobile can be much different as it's a completely different network.

As for you being in the centre of a major city, there's always going to be some place (on any network) where signal is bad.  Usually, that happen deep into a large buidling or underground.

jennynguyen1993

I live in Vancouver, near downtown, so I expect I should have stronger signal as my location is city centre. 

jennynguyen1993

I used Fido before. I even had Chatr before and reception was never an issue for me phone. 

@gblackma wrote:

@jennynguyen1993 5he next time that happens try restarting your phone or place it into aeroplane mode for 5 minutes and then take it off. Stay safe. 

How does this improve coverage?  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jennynguyen1993 , there are only 2 major networks in Canada, Bell/Telus and Rogers.  There isn't anything you can do to make the cell providers network work better other than perhaps getting another phone as some phones have slightly better reception than others.  Generally, network performance in a major city should be excellent.  Anyway, take a look at the cell map and see if there is adequate coverage in the areas of concern to you.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jennynguyen1993 5he next time that happens try restarting your phone or place it into aeroplane mode for 5 minutes and then take it off. Stay safe. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@jennynguyen1993 

Who was your previous provider?

You could try different phone, I understand that one was giving no issues before, but just to test service versus equipment.

If you had anything from telus or Bell family the experience should be similar.

Only difference is VoLTE, we don't have it, but that trouble would have different symptoms, you would have great reception but unable to make/receive calls.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.