cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing to port, not working?

Connor12391
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have submitted several tickets which public mobile has failed to address, so I submitted it to the CRTC, but that can take up to a month. But I figured I would try here if anyone knows any information.

I am trying to transfer my number to Fido and need an active account - my account is prepaid and expired, I need it reactivated for a day or so to do the transfer or to switch my plan to a pay as you go or something and fill it up with a dollar so I can transfer it to fido. I have asked fido to transfer it about 5 times and they continue to tell me it's on public mobiles side but requesting to talk to anyone at public mobile is like speaking to a wall. Probably the worst service provider I've ever used in my whole life. Can anyone help me?

18 REPLIES 18

@Connor12391 

Did you sign a contract or service agreement with fido? You have 15 days to change your mind penalty free. Simply pay and reactivate your service with public mobile and ask fido to delay the start of your service with them. They want to keep you as a new customer and you have the legislation on your side when dealing with fido and they want to keep you happy. Use your public mobile service for the next 25 days then port over to fido. Once you recieve your first bill from fido go over it with a fine tooth comb. They are the worst provider I have ever dealt with and were constantly overbilling/billing errors (always in their favour)and contravening the WCC legislation. Always go thru your bill from start to finish each and every month. Best of luck with fido.

mapamapa32

in order to port a number  your old account must be active and then request the port and get yourself activated  with fIDo. you will unfortunately  have to put some money  on to activate it for it to work.

@Connor12391 wrote:

I think the rule is dumb and they should have some type of plan that is $1 or pay as you go just as pretty much every other provider has so people don't need to be ripped off $15 if their plan expires and they want to port.

I don't know of many Canadian carriers that still have any type of "pay-as-you-go" type plans.  Neither Freedom, Telus, or Bell offer these any longer to new customers.  Rogers does still offer that, but even then, once your time is out, you must do a top up, and the minimum top up is $10 to keep the account active. Then, you have speakout, but once again, once the account balance expires, you must apply the minimum top amount to keep the accont going. This is no different than a the Public Mobile a Public Mobile plan. On pay-as-you-go type plans, you cannot reactive an otherwiise inactive account that has had it's balance/plan expired by topping up only $1.

@Connor12391 now now no need for name calling.  🤣 🤣 🤣

Connor12391

Okay, well I am just waiting for public mobile to respond but the moderators haven't even looked at my message and it's been like 4 days so I don't know if I'll even get an answer. It's not even the cost at this point 🤣 it's the principal. I think the rule is dumb and they should have some type of plan that is $1 or pay as you go just as pretty much every other provider has so people don't need to be ripped off $15 if their plan expires and they want to port.

@RosieR wrote:

You said you already filed a complaint to the CRTC which you meant CCTC.  So just wait for the CCTC to help you.  We cannot help you here if you don't want to pay the cheapest plan ($15) to reactivate your account so you can port your number.  No active account, no porting.  Even the CRTC says so...

When it comes to CCTS, it isn't within their mandate to change the rules. They can only make decisions based on the existing rules. Those rules only provide dead air charge (charging for services after cancellation) to postpaid customers. There is zero protection provided for prepaid customers. While the CCTS will likely accept the complaint on the customer's behalf, this will only be to encourage the customer and Public Mobile to discuss the issue. If Public Mobile says no to this request, the CCTS cannot and will not enforce a rule that does not exist.

The CCTS will keep statistic on what the complaint is about, and that's what likely partially lead to dead air charges being eliminated for postpaid customers at wireless carriers. However, the CCTS does not make the rules. As for not wanting to pay for a plan because a port out will cause the plan payment to be lost, the best and really only hopes would be for either a goodwill gesture by Public Mobile, or for the customer to take Telus Communications to court over the practice of charging for services not provided and to have the court rule that the terms of service at Public Mobile are unenforceable.

Connor12391

I love how you're offended at me being unhappy with my public mobile service 🤣 go tell the CEO, maybe he will give you an award for being such an unrelenting suck up. 

I don't know what to tell you. This is my experience and it's valid. Go bother someone else. If you really think that a multi-million dollar corporation that doesn't even offer any customer service (and frankly doesn't care about you) is so magical you're really putting you're energy into the wrong place and tells me everything I need to know about your character. 🤣

Don't post in the forum if you're going to be rude. I was asking for advice and with any postpaid provider you can easily transfer your service and they will give you the prorated amount back to you (whatever days you don't use is put back into your bank account) - what I'm saying isn't outrageous.

Acting high and mighty on a cell phone provider forum is quite pathetic. I'll wait for the CCTCs response since it's been 4 days and public mobile still hasn't responded to me. 🤷😉

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Connor12391 wrote:

Hi,

I have submitted several tickets which public mobile has failed to address, so I submitted it to the CRTC, but that can take up to a month. But I figured I would try here if anyone knows any information.

I am trying to transfer my number to Fido and need an active account - my account is prepaid and expired, I need it reactivated for a day or so to do the transfer or to switch my plan to a pay as you go or something and fill it up with a dollar so I can transfer it to fido. I have asked fido to transfer it about 5 times and they continue to tell me it's on public mobiles side but requesting to talk to anyone at public mobile is like speaking to a wall. Probably the worst service provider I've ever used in my whole life. Can anyone help me?

@Connor12391 we are all Public Mobile customers here and we are happy customers.  Now you are bad mouthing Public Mobile on Public Mobile forums and you want us happy Public Mobile customers to help you?  lol  That is funny.  You said you already filed a complaint to the CRTC which you meant CCTC.  So just wait for the CCTC to help you.  We cannot help you here if you don't want to pay the cheapest plan ($15) to reactivate your account so you can port your number.  No active account, no porting.  Even the CRTC says so...

CRTC on porting.png

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

@kb_mv wrote:

@Connor12391 wrote:

I don't wish to pay $15 for a service I'm not using when it's possible for them to reactivate for free or cheap, I won't be reimbursed that fee when the porting should be free. I would be willing to pay a small fee like a $1 to reactivate my service but I won't be paying the full $15. And I didn't contact the CRTC, I meant to put the CCTC.

@Connor12391 All carriers require that the account you are porting your number from be active. Yours isn't. No one can make PM activate your account for free or for $1. An active plan requires at minimum a $15 payment. I think you are fighting a losing battle here. The longer you wait the longer you don't have your number. I can't imagine the CCTC doing anything for you.

I happen to think that it's arbitrary that there's no protection again dead air charges for prepaid accounts. On postpaid acccounts, carrier's can't charge for a single day more after a port out.  While a CCTS complaint might cause Public mobile to voluntarily process a plan renewal out of goodwill they don't have to, and the CCTS won't make them. 

@Connor12391  To minimize the amount of money lost, you're going to have to pay for a plan, use it for most of those 30 days and then port out closer to the end date of the plan that you've paid for.

@Connor12391 wrote:

I don't wish to pay $15 for a service I'm not using when it's possible for them to reactivate for free or cheap, I won't be reimbursed that fee when the porting should be free. I would be willing to pay a small fee like a $1 to reactivate my service but I won't be paying the full $15. And I didn't contact the CRTC, I meant to put the CCTC.

@Connor12391 All carriers require that the account you are porting your number from be active. Yours isn't. No one can make PM activate your account for free or for $1. An active plan requires at minimum a $15 payment. I think you are fighting a losing battle here. The longer you wait the longer you don't have your number. I can't imagine the CCTC doing anything for you.

@Connor12391 wrote:

Sorry, but if you don't pay for a plan, you won't be able to port out.

Connor12391

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Connor12391 wrote:

Hi,

@Connor12391 Why go to the CRTC when it's clear that you need an active account to port the number from? As others stated, pay $15 for the cheapest 30 plan, then Fido can do the port. What do you want Public Mobile to do?

@Connor12391 you'll have to pay again if you want to port out.

Connor12391

Of course I can lol. I just stopped paying it a week ago.

@Connor12391 wrote:

I am trying to transfer my number to Fido and need an active account - my account is prepaid and expired, I need it reactivated for a day or so to do the transfer or to switch my plan to a pay as you go or something and fill it up with a dollar so I can transfer it to fido. 

Contacting the CRTC will not yield any results. They do not handle disputes between customers and carriers.  Simply adding $1 will not allow you to port out. You'll need to pay for a full 30 day plan to have active service.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Connor12391 

Is your PM account actually closed due to nonpayment after 90 days from your renewal date? Can you log into self service?

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile account needs to be active to port a number.

Purchase the cheapest plan $15 then port your number out.

Need Help? Let's chat.