cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to ask, when overseas, How to Call to Canada?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

What is the Process to Dial to Canada when overseas?

Is it 011

International Prefix

+1

Canada Country Code

Area code

Is it like this?

011+14160000000

35 REPLIES 35

martin8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

use this link, explanation is an added bonus, one should save it as a bookmark, or as a file on your phone. https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html

zork1984
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@surreyboz wrote:

If you are anywhere in the world regardless of who you Cell Phone Service Provider is and are using a Cell Phone Dial or Save numbers in your contacts list with a Plus Sign.

That is the correct way.  Usually if you dial rather than using contact, you long press the "0" key to get the "+".  That is the international dialing prefix and normally means (in landline's case) to prepend the local international dialing prefix (011 in Canada), but for mobile phone it automatically does it.   Having the +1 for local Canadian contacts mean that if you travel overseas you don't need to edit your contact.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are anywhere in the world regardless of who your Cell Phone Service Provider is and are using a Cell Phone Dial or Save numbers in your contacts list with a Plus Sign. Example : + Country Code followed by the area code followed by the telephone number: Canada US numbers should look like this (+1xxxyyyzzzz) UK numbers should look like this (+44and the Number) India Numbers should look like this (+91and the number) etc

Tiprix

@makkahn28, I found this site https://www.howtocallabroad.com/ and though it to be quite useful.  You can select the "to" and "from" location for your call and it provides the exact number you need to dial out.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@makkahn28 this isn't really a Pubic Mobile question.  As well, these questions/answers should have been figured out before your parents left for their vacation.  Since they're using a SIM card from TravelSIM, maybe try looking up this information on their website.

This is No April Fools Joke, I needed to know these as I have no experience when calling overseas, and the format when dialing out.

Also, When my Mother called me using her sister's cell, because the travelsim card was not working, and discovered about the Telus Roaming $12 Day thing, just saying, things could be better

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LovesToPM wrote:

@makkahn28I am a bit perplexed. I am leaning towards late April Fool's joke?

In any case, fellow customers here are trying to help you out. Meanwhile you are complaining about the options offered by Public Mobile. These options are well explained in advance if you did a little reading or research yourself.

If you buy a smart car for two and expect to take the family on a camping trip, then you are SOL.

You CANNOT USE your Public Mobile SIM OVERSEAS.

As others have mentioned, these may be your viable options:

- Get a local overseas SIM. You can get really cheap pre-paid SIMs.

- Get an App to make FREE calls via DATA or WIFI

Since you have a better knowledge of your mobile needs, you can also read here https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/30/canada-roaming-guide-2018/

The OP has been here for 4 years. Every now and again he comes up with some other thing to complain about the service. He has so many negatives that I'm not sure why he stays.

As suggestions to the company sure ok but then as with this thread and as you have added, in this case their are several options he can use. He just seems to like complaining about the service though.

@makkahn28I am a bit perplexed. I am leaning towards late April Fool's joke?

In any case, fellow customers here are trying to help you out. Meanwhile you are complaining about the options offered by Public Mobile. These options are well explained in advance if you did a little reading or research yourself.

If you buy a smart car for two and expect to take the family on a camping trip, then you are SOL.

You CANNOT USE your Public Mobile SIM OVERSEAS.

As others have mentioned, these may be your viable options:

- Get a local overseas SIM. You can get really cheap pre-paid SIMs.

- Get an App to make FREE calls via DATA or WIFI

Since you have a better knowledge of your mobile needs, you can also read here https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/30/canada-roaming-guide-2018/

Here was something that I heard.

One of my Aunts who's with my parents on Vacation, with Telus, The Roaming is $12 a Day

That is Not a bad Roaming Fee

Yes, I'm aware 1 is Canada's country code. My point was using the plus sign is more convenient than remembering exit codes. If you use the plus sign to store contacts, you never need to change phone numbers to dial back to Canada. 

sunflowershine

@sheytoon wrote:

The advantage of using the "plus sign" is that you don't need to keep track of each country 's unique exit code.

For example, dialing a Toronto 416 number is always +1 416 123-4567.

The plus sign translates to 00 when you're in certain countries, and translates to other exit codes when in other countries.

@sheytoon 1 is just a Country Code for either US or Canada. If you are traveling, I will advise you to download a free calling app before you leave. TextNow and Fongo are good choices for they can call landline, not only app to app. But Fongo may not cover certain areas in Canada. As long as you have wifi or data in the traveling city, you can call your home to cell in North America directly and FREE. 

Sometimes you have + sign before adding a phone number, it will allow certain apps such as Whatsapp to pick up the oversea number(s) in your contact lists. 

The advantage of using the "plus sign" is that you don't need to keep track of each country 's unique exit code.

For example, dialing a Toronto 416 number is always +1 416 123-4567.

The plus sign translates to 00 when you're in certain countries, and translates to other exit codes when in other countries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 

I'm very skeptical about these universal whatever travel whatever roam SIM's.

The whole beauty of the SIM system is to be able to swap in a phone-frequency-compatible-carrier SIM from anywhere.

Land in a country. Find a simple pay as you go carrier and their SIM. Done.

Next country repeat and rinse.

And quit futzin' with the fonts. Let alone mixed case/inappropriate caps. Never mind me. Personal gripe. stonechucker might have something to say about that too.

to be quite honest, Its MORE Complex and confusing. Using foreign Sims for Roaming is NOT as Straight forward, and perhaps Crazy Expensive.

IF PM ONLY had a TRULY Roam option, I'd Gladly pay the Fees Willingly, EVEN my Mother would as buying a Sim JUST for the Roaming is Obtuse, NOT User-friendly, and Disgustingly Expensive.

$15 for Sim

$60 to top for Talk and Text

$69 for 1GB Data

Plus the Rates for talk and text varies from country to country.

I'd Gladly pay the Price IF PM ONLY had a TRULY Roam option.

But unfortunately Wishes don't happen and What is out there is a Basket case full of headache options that gives More Migraine headaches and so much to Process

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 wrote:

Hey, I am NOT Joking. I am trying to get the Information so that I can then inform my parents.

Because I never have used this, and have little to no knowledge, I am trying to educate myself and then at least know how dialing either locally in overseas country, or overseas country back to Canada, in case of any kind of emergency

Walk up to a pay phone and it will have instructions on dialing methods for that area. Or hotel telephone use instructions.

Exit codes can be different from one country to the next. It just so happens that Canada and US share the same dialing system. 011 exit code. And see below.

Country codes can be different from one country to the next. It just so happens that Canada and US share the same dialing system. Same country code...1.

Area codes can be different and they can overlap each other geographically.

Prefixes can be different in an area code.

Also...your parents have probably been around the sun a few times. They're grown-ups. They can figure it out. Telephones and dialing have been around for a few score years.

lheintzman

@makkahn28 

Okay, sounds good.  So have you read the responses?  What don't you understand? What more information do you need?

Hey, I am NOT Joking. I am trying to get the Information so that I can then inform my parents.

Because I never have used this, and have little to no knowledge, I am trying to educate myself and then at least know how dialing either locally in overseas country, or overseas country back to Canada, in case of any kind of emergency

lheintzman

Pardon my puzzlement, but hasn't the answer already been spelled out explicitely in posts from @RobertQc, @Dunkman, and others including myself?

a) dial an exit code, specific to the country you -- or your parents -- are calling from. (Could be 002, 00 or 001, depending on location.)

b) dial the entry code for Canada (1)

c) dial the Canadian area code (xxx)

d) dial the local Canadian number (xxx-xxxx)

Don't see how your parents' Estonian phone number comes into play. And we have to assume their phones are compatible with carrier networks in the countries they're visiting and that Travelsim works in those countries. But as for the dialing format, what is it you don't understand?

This is starting to feel like we're being punked.

The reason I need to ask is that my Parents have JUST left for the Vacation.

If they get lost and need to Call.

They're using a Sim from Travelsim

The # is a Estonian#

If they are in Taiwan, or Malaysia, Singapore Or Vietnam, and need to Call Either BACK TO CANADA, OR Local, How would the Dialing Format look like, as I never have seen or done that before and need to know asap

lheintzman

@makkahn28 wrote:

The link @RobertQc submitted, confused.

Need help on fornay of Dialing BACK TO CANADA from either Taiwan, or Vietnam, or Malaysia or Singapore BACK TO CANADA,

Actually, the link provided by @RobertQc is pretty straightforward.  To call Canada:

from Taiwan:
002-1-416-xxx-xxxx

from Vietnam:
00-1-416-xxx-xxxx

from Malaysia:
00-1-416-xxx-xxxx

from Singapore:
001-1-416-xxx-xxxx

None of these calls can be made with a phone equipped with a Public Mobile SIM. The US is the only country where PM has an international roaming agreement.

@makkahn28 

Taiwan 002-1-416-xxx-xxxx

Vietnam 00-1-416-xxx-xxxx

Maylasia 00-1-416-xxx-xxxx

Singapore 001-1-416-xxx-xxxx  or 008-1-416-xxx-xxxx

First set of number is your exit code (to call outside country)

2nd set of number is your country code  -  Canada code is 1

Then the area code and phone number in Canada

You should be aware that Public Mobile has no international roaming, so you can't use Public Mobile service to call back to Canada.

My apologies, as I have Zero Knowion dialing International, so Not sure on Format

So, it should be

001-416-000-0000?

The link @RobertQc submitted, confused.

Need help on fornay of Dialing BACK TO CANADA from either Taiwan, or Vietnam, or Malaysia or Singapore BACK TO CANADA,

@makkahn28 wrote:

So it would be

011-+1-416-000-0000?

When calling from Taiwan, Or Malaysia, Or Singapore, Or Vietnam

To

Canada

No..., 00 yes for Malaysia but 002 from Taiwan... click on the link from @RobertQc 

Metal1967

@makkahn28 

Incorrect...scroll up to @RobertQc .post..he supplied a link that will help you

So it would be

011-+1-416-000-0000?

When calling from Taiwan, Or Malaysia, Or Singapore, Or Vietnam

To

Canada

@Lieux wrote:

@JaimeLaPizza @But with public mobile you will never pay for roaming.. because it’s prepaid!

@Lieux  Is correct. Unless you prepaid for a roaming plan (which is only in USA) you will not be able to use your phone outside of the existing roaming network. There are also no after charges ever. If you didn't pay, you don't get it. And if you do somehow get it, its a glitch and you canno't be charged for it.

If you go to cuba, your public mobile phone will not work, there is no roaming option there. If you plan to call Canada, from Cuba, you will need a different sim, or a different phone.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

it should be 001+area code from Asia calling to Canada.

@JaimeLaPizza @But with public mobile you will never pay for roaming.. because it’s prepaid!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28  Different countries have different exit codes. 011 is the exit code WHILE you are in Canada, if you are in Cuba you need to dial 119

Please see this list

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html

JaimeLaPizza

Correct me if I'm wrog but it is one thing to be able to call to China from Canada (using "long distance minutes") but an entirely different thing to call to Canada from China.  I think the question was about being oversees and calling to Canada... and that's when one has to be very cautious about roaming charges (if the phone works at all in the specific oversses country you're in.  Here's some trustworthy info about this from a Governement of Canada site: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/mobiles-abroad

Need Help? Let's chat.