cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number has been stolen

Simardbrad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there,

I've woken up to some unauthorized charges to my paypal account and my phone service no longer being active on my phone.

After dealing with paypal, it looks like the breach was related to the thief resetting my password using my phone number, using the reset code, then changing my paypal password.

It's extremely annoying that nowhere on my account or through email did public mobile even state that somebody has requested a SIM card replacement or anything like that.

Regardless, I'm unsure how I can fix this. My phone now has no service due to this and I'm not even sure who I can call or where I can go to get it resolved.

8 REPLIES 8

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Simardbrad 

You dunt need to get new sim

Moderators can revert changes and have your old sim functioning properly

Contact them asap https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

In a meantime suspend your account if you can

Libertarian02

I had this happen to me and got no notification, either.

I do blame public for that and now I see its a thing.

Change that, immediately, I mean now. Any changes to the account should produce emails. Its too easy to change it on public, you guys have a weak spot here. 

I do this for a living, test software, and my software notifies people on any update.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Report your phone as stolen.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

Submit a ticket to a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Simardbrad

Thanks everyone.

I've:

- Suspended my service

- Changed passwords

- Private messaged the moderators using the link provided

I appreciate the quick help.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Simardbrad wrote:

Hello there,

I've woken up to some unauthorized charges to my paypal account and my phone service no longer being active on my phone.

After dealing with paypal, it looks like the breach was related to the thief resetting my password using my phone number, using the reset code, then changing my paypal password.

It's extremely annoying that nowhere on my account or through email did public mobile even state that somebody has requested a SIM card replacement or anything like that.

Regardless, I'm unsure how I can fix this. My phone now has no service due to this and I'm not even sure who I can call or where I can go to get it resolved.

@Simardbrad Go into your self serve account if you can, report phone lost / stolen. Change password and security questions. Then contact moderators directly at link below, use Sim Jacked / Fraud" as topic.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

You should receive a reply within 48 hours though typically they are much faster. Watch the envelope icon top right for a reply.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Simardbrad 

Are you able to access your self service account?  If you are able, then I would report your phone lost/stolen.  Check the last 4 digits of the SIM card number in your account versus your phone.  Likely different.  You will need to purchase a new SIM card and change the SIM card.  Besides your PayPal account, I would also check other online accounts and change your passwords, etc.  

If you are unable to access your account, you will need to contact moderator to help.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: unauthorized port. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Simardbrad wrote:

Hello there,

The first thing you will want to do is report the phone as lost or stolen. You can change the passwords and security questions, but since the person who go into your account has your information, that person could probably use that informaiton to convince a moderator that they forgot the passsword or the e-mail address that was used.

Is keeping the same phone number important to you? If you don't have many rewards or balance and don't mind changing the phone number, I would actually consider opening a brand new account.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Simardbrad 

You may want to change the passwords on your financial institutions.

From there you might also try to log into your self serve account for public mobile and report your phone lost or stolen.

After that place a ticket to the public mobile moderators by clicking the bubble to the lower right-hand corner and requesting moderator assistance to report this issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.