cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My number has not ported

joelmine
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have taken a new account with Public Mobile and a plan with a temporary number. I came home and went to self serve to port my number over. I entered my details and after about 15 mins i lost my connection with Vergin which was where my number was and it does not seem to be ported over to Public Mobile. When i try to call the number it says this number is not setup for incoming calls. I also have noticed that the 4G data icon on top keeps coming on and then going off multiple times. I cannot make any outgoing calls either. Its been more than an hour now and its like this. I have ported 2 other numbers for my wife and friend this morning and they all got ported fine almost instantly. Please let me know what is going on with my number and why its not porting over. I need this number urgently and it needs to work before tomorrow. Please let me know what I should do or let me know if i can contact Public Mobile in any way.  @CS_Agent

86 REPLIES 86

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is why I love PM 🙂 Glad everything worked out. 

srlawren

@Shazia_K wow, detailed and thorough explanation!  I have heard of provisioning errors but have never seen it spelled out in such detail.  Thank you for that!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

joelmine

@Shazia_K wrote:

Hello @joelmine

Thank you for confirming that the issue has been resolved. 

I do understand your concern in regards to your no service issue today and please let me provide you with some further details that I was able to gather from our technical support team.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that this type of issue is very rare and only happens in some rare activation/port cases. From what I understood is that your SIM card was registered under a temporary phone number before porting in your current number. However, that number was available to you by ''mistake'' and when assigned to your SIM card it wasn't generated properly which we often call a provisioning issue

The number was never properly assigned to your account and this is why when every month the system tries to clear up new profiles in the backend, your profile was deleted which generated the SIM card to deactivate. This has been fixed and your profile was properly assigned to your account, you shouldn't experience this again. 

I hope that I was able to clear up any concerns, please do not hesitate if anything. 

Cheers, 

Shazia

Shazia, you are an Angel. Thank you very much for helping me the 2nd time. Much appreceated. Now my trust in PM has increased. I would like to appreate your work by sending a message to your boss. Could you please share this message with him/her. 

Shazia has been outstanding in customer service. This is the 2nd time she has come to my rescue especially when all others failed to help. I would like to appreceate her efforts and I am sure she has increased the communities trust in PM by her service. 

Thanks SHazia. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @joelmine

Thank you for confirming that the issue has been resolved. 

I do understand your concern in regards to your no service issue today and please let me provide you with some further details that I was able to gather from our technical support team.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that this type of issue is very rare and only happens in some rare activation/port cases. From what I understood is that your SIM card was registered under a temporary phone number before porting in your current number. However, that number was available to you by ''mistake'' and when assigned to your SIM card it wasn't generated properly which we often call a provisioning issue

The number was never properly assigned to your account and this is why when every month the system tries to clear up new profiles in the backend, your profile was deleted which generated the SIM card to deactivate. This has been fixed and your profile was properly assigned to your account, you shouldn't experience this again. 

I hope that I was able to clear up any concerns, please do not hesitate if anything. 

Cheers, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

joelmine

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

I’m just so happy your service is back. Did you ever hear back from your private message. These outages can happen with any company, it’s just unfortunate that it’s happened o you twice now. Have any of your friends or family have issues. I honestly have no problem promoting PM to friends family. 

No, None of my friends had any issues. But i never had an issue like this with any other provider. As I said i have had other issues. But account getting suspended and callers getting a message saying number is out of service has never happened to me ever. ANyway its back now i hope it never happens again. 

Rockdaddy22

I’m just so happy your service is back. Did you ever hear back from your private message. These outages can happen with any company, it’s just unfortunate that it’s happened o you twice now. Have any of your friends or family have issues. I honestly have no problem promoting PM to friends family. 

joelmine

@Shazia_K wrote:

Hello @joelmine

I am very sorry to hear about the no service issue, rest assured that this is not the experience we want you to have! 

Firstly, I am sorry for the delay in responding to you, however, we are currently experiencing a higher volume of messages than our usual due to an amazing promotion going on at the moment. We respond to customers starting from the oldest message to the newest since it wouldn't be fair to get back to someone that reached out to us this morning and not reply back to someone that is waiting since last night to get a response. I do understand your frustration and I know the feeling of not having a working phone, again sorry about this but I will make sure to forward your the feedback to the appropriate team in regards to the '' prioritizing of customers with no service''  

With that being said, I was able to look into your no service issue and in fact, there is an issue with your SIM card that was populated from the port request of last month. I wasn't able to resolve the issue on my end but rest assured that I have forwarded all the information to our technical support team and they should be able to resolve this pretty quickly. Can you please periodically try and restart your phone in 2 hours from now, if the issue is still occurring then please reply back to this post. 

I hope that you are comfortable with the provided information, please do not hesitate for anything else. 

Have a great day!

Shazia

Hi @Shazia_K , I am not sure if you did you magic again but this issue has been resolved. I have been restarting my phone evrery 10 mins and finally it worked. The service came back on. I want to know exactly what happened and what did they do to resolve this ? My trust in PM is gone down after this and unless i have a reasonable explaination as to what happened and why my service went down i am thinking of moving to another provider. I have 4 people in my family as well as 2 other friends who are all on PM and I asked them to move as it was pre paid and better. But I will be going to tell them this and ask them to port their number to another provider before it is too late.  Thanks Shazia but i would really appreceate it if i could get an explanation to clear any doubts and increase my trust in PM. @CS_Agent

Rockdaddy22

Rest assured, she’ll push it to the right people. Please try and be patient. 

Rockdaddy22

Thank you so much Shaz 🙂

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@joelmine wrote:

Its not just too long to wait. The problem is i work for one of the biggest banks in Toronto as head of one of their support channels. And I am missing many important phone calls. My boss was realy upset with me this morning as I could not be reached. He has asked me never to use services like this. I tried explaining that its a telus sister company and he would not buy it. He said things like this have never happened to him. This is the 2nd time it is happening to me. It happened when i ported my number over. I did not have serivces for over a day and a half. 

I find it surprising that a major company would rely on an employee's personal phone to conduct important business matters.  No disrepect to my employer, any calls that I receive on my personal line may or may not be answered at my discretion.  They would have to supply me with a company paid line, if they want the call to always be answered. 

Why not leave it alone, the guy has no service. I’d be ready to jump, so don’t push him lol

I am trying to be pragmatic about this.  Unless the terms of my employment were to supply my own cell line to guarantee company access to me 24/7, there are no assurances that my personal line will be able to accommdate business matters.  When I am on call, I get a pager and companied supplied batteries to keep it functional. 

joelmine

@Shazia_K .. HI Shazia, What does that mean there was an issue from the port of last month ? How was it working fine since then and suddently today it went down ? If there was an issue with my SIM Card from the port of last month it would not have worked since then. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @joelmine

I am very sorry to hear about the no service issue, rest assured that this is not the experience we want you to have! 

Firstly, I am sorry for the delay in responding to you, however, we are currently experiencing a higher volume of messages than our usual due to an amazing promotion going on at the moment. We respond to customers starting from the oldest message to the newest since it wouldn't be fair to get back to someone that reached out to us this morning and not reply back to someone that is waiting since last night to get a response. I do understand your frustration and I know the feeling of not having a working phone, again sorry about this but I will make sure to forward your the feedback to the appropriate team in regards to the '' prioritizing of customers with no service''  

With that being said, I was able to look into your no service issue and in fact, there is an issue with your SIM card that was populated from the port request of last month. I wasn't able to resolve the issue on my end but rest assured that I have forwarded all the information to our technical support team and they should be able to resolve this pretty quickly. Can you please periodically try and restart your phone in 2 hours from now, if the issue is still occurring then please reply back to this post. 

I hope that you are comfortable with the provided information, please do not hesitate for anything else. 

Have a great day!

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

@joelmine wrote:

The last time i waited for 2 days for someone to get back to me. I have never waited for 2 days when calling any call center for any company i have dealt with in the world. So there is obviously a huge difference when there is a call center. 

Well yes and no.  The queue time is more to do with the staffing levels and target QoS rather than technology.  If you staff a call center with one person, you could end up with a super long wait time.  In Public Mobile's case, the support staffing level appears to be fixed and inflexible to forseeable variations in work load.  I recall back in late 2016 when the famous fall promo raised queue time to like 2 weeks.  Right now, the ongoing software problems are leading to elevated response times.  It has been like that for a number of days.

It may sound like a great idea to prioritize interactions based on urgency.  In practice, it may not work.  If people knew about it, it would be simple to game the system. 

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

Maybe no service issues should take priority. Seems like common sense to me. 

Even with a call centre you don't get ranked by a priority system it is the same as here get in line treated when the next available person gets to you in the order you enter the line

Maybe we should change the way the world works, or just keep doing the same. 

Take the service for what it is not what you want it to be,

I believe we should try and improve the community we’re part of, not just settle for what it is. Why not push to be better or be first at something. 

Great answer and participation is the way to do it.  Being first is not part of the PM model anymore the way I see it.  No new LTE promo's all 3G offerings now.  PM used to be a disrupter in the market.  Now everything is labled a "Competitive Response" so as a 3rd tier provider I don't see them setting trends

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22

@will13am wrote:

@joelmine wrote:

Its not just too long to wait. The problem is i work for one of the biggest banks in Toronto as head of one of their support channels. And I am missing many important phone calls. My boss was realy upset with me this morning as I could not be reached. He has asked me never to use services like this. I tried explaining that its a telus sister company and he would not buy it. He said things like this have never happened to him. This is the 2nd time it is happening to me. It happened when i ported my number over. I did not have serivces for over a day and a half. 

I find it surprising that a major company would rely on an employee's personal phone to conduct important business matters.  No disrepect to my employer, any calls that I receive on my personal line may or may not be answered at my discretion.  They would have to supply me with a company paid line, if they want the call to always be answered. 

Why not leave it alone, the guy has no service. I’d be ready to jump, so don’t push him lol

@joelmine wrote:

joelmine

Well said Rockdaddy

Rockdaddy22

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

Even with a call centre you don't get ranked by a priority system it is the same as here get in line treated when the next available person gets to you in the order you enter the line

I believe we should try and improve the community we’re part of, not just settle for what it is. Why not push to be better or be first at something. 

joelmine

I am taking the service for what it is. Canadian serivce providers should have better service than this. Regardless if they have a call center or not. This is just rediculos. if its never happened to me in my life and trust me i have paid about 1 / 10th the cost for serivce in other countries .. and here it happens twice in 2 months. Then this provider should be banned from providing service. Because this is just cheating people and robbing their money. 

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

Generally not waiting over 3 hours on the phone

I have waited longer and it was with Telus

That’s why I didn’t say never 🤨

joelmine

I have been using service providers in canada for the last 10 years and i have lived in 3 other countries before this. I have not once had an issue like this and my serivce disrupted for even an hour. This is the first time in my life. I have had other issues with billing and plans and stuff like that but never a serivce interruption stating that my number is not active. 

Rockdaddy22

@joelmine wrote:

You dont need to be sorry RockDaddy .. Its not your fault. Thanks for trying to help though. But I am just frustrated as I am missing important phone calls and at a time like this i cant just be patient. But anyway. I have learnt my lesson. Never to go with cheap companies again. If I pay just $ 5 more i can get the same plan with another company which has a call center. 

Last time @Shazia_K helped me in just 10 minutes. But before she saw my post i ran around for 1 and a half day posting numerous messages and getting so frustrated.

I just feel terrible when a no service issue pops up, these need to be solved immediately during business hours. When was this last outage?

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

Generally not waiting over 3 hours on the phone

I have waited longer and it was with Telus

Rockdaddy22

Maybe we still belong in beta, I remember those days lol

joelmine

You dont need to be sorry RockDaddy .. Its not your fault. Thanks for trying to help though. But I am just frustrated as I am missing important phone calls and at a time like this i cant just be patient. But anyway. I have learnt my lesson. Never to go with cheap companies again. If I pay just $ 5 more i can get the same plan with another company which has a call center. 

Last time @Shazia_K helped me in just 10 minutes. But before she saw my post i ran around for 1 and a half day posting numerous messages and getting so frustrated.

@joelmine wrote:

The last time i waited for 2 days for someone to get back to me. I have never waited for 2 days when calling any call center for any company i have dealt with in the world. So there is obviously a huge difference when there is a call center. 

I have said this many times, if you rely on your phone for your income or job then Public Mobile might not be for you.  I wouldn't be on this service if my job relied on it as I read and research PM prior to signing up and had to decide if I was able to handle the risk of if something goes wrong being without a phone for a bit.  I have a backup plan if my service goes down.  It is well documented with many many threads in here of people going hours- days without service.  The way of receiving service is stated and it can take sometime.  You have to decide if the value of the plan is worth any possible risks of service interuption.

Rockdaddy22

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:

Rockdaddy22

Please try and be patient, you’ve done all you can do. We’ve tagged and you’ve sent a private message, so hang tight. Please keep us updated periodically. I’m sorry again 😞

joelmine

Need Help? Let's chat.