cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My mobile number is not recognized

brusselsboy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good day,

I bought a Public Mobile sim card from a London Drugs store on 16 July 2020 in Richmond and got it activated. I could use it for making phone calls and receiving messages and there are no problems.

But until:

(1) Yesterday (July-21) I was trying to set this number for my Caller ID on Skype. Skype didn't recognize this number.

(2) Today (July-22) I was trying to book a knowledge test on ICBC's website and the booking system considered this number invalid!

I was flabbergasted! Does anyone know this problem? Any solution?

Thanks for your attention!

Brusselsboy

7 REPLIES 7

Ab50
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I too had problems with icbc not recognizing my number starting with 672..

Abraham

@brusselsboy wrote:

I just added my 672-999-xxx number to my Google account and it worked!

Great news. Your efforts will benefit many others! No to continue the battle with other companies found not supporting it yet. 🤔

Looks like the 672 area code only went live in May 2019, and according to CNAC only TELUS (and thus Koodo, Public Mobile) and 2 VoIP carriers (Iristel & Fibernetics) have assignments in it so far...

http://cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA672.htm

brusselsboy

Update:

I just added my 672-999-xxxx number to my Google account and it worked!

lostinspace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Would like to know if it worked out ok for you.. It could help other members to know if it worked out.. that will be sure shot solution..

Cheers...

brusselsboy

Hi, @esjliv @computergeek541 

Thank you very much for your response. My mobile phone number starts with 672. I didn't know it was because of the new area code 672. My current number is good and easy for me to memorize so I intend to retain it. I have contacted ICBC and Skype on this and requested them to update their databases. I hope this issue will be addressed as soon as possible. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Bruselsboy

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@brusselsboy wrote:

Good day,

I bought a Public Mobile sim card from a London Drugs store on 16 July 2020 in Richmond and got it activated. I could use it for making phone calls and receiving messages and there are no problems.

But until:

(1) Yesterday (July-21) I was trying to set this number for my Caller ID on Skype. Skype didn't recognize this number.

(2) Today (July-22) I was trying to book a knowledge test on ICBC's website and the booking system considered this number invalid!

Brusselsboy

Hi @brusselsboy ,

Is your area code 672? Others have reported issues with this newer BC area code. Like @computergeek541 , Skype and ICBC probably needs updating. If you do have 672, hopefully all the kinks get worked out soon!

But if this bothers you too much, request to change your phone  number in your SELF SERVE account under "MyProfile":

Under "My Profile" in Self ServeUnder "My Profile" in Self Serve

You can change it every 30 days, if you so desire.

@brusselsboy wrote:

Good day,

But until:

Brusselsboy

This is purely an issue with these two companies. They need to update their databases to reflect that your phone number is a valid Canadian phone number. You can try changing your phone number to one of a different area code or port in a phone number of the same city from a different carrier. That would probably give you way around this.

Need Help? Let's chat.