cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband's phone cannot call anyone!

Selba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am asking this question for my husband as he is not computer savvy. We have been on Public Mobile the past few months and are very happy.  Tonight my husband tried to call our son and got a voice message saying `your plan is not setup for long distance calls you can dial bla bla bla number to setup long distance`.  His plan has Canada wide calling.  Can someone tell me what is wrong please?

Thanks,

Selba

23 REPLIES 23

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@88cranston wrote:

Canada Wide does not mean you can call any number in Canada as though it is a local number. If you are in Vancouver calling Toronto you need to add the 1.... ie 1-416-123-4567

It will call it without 1 in front but it will nag before dialing it, it will not tell you to get the add-on

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Canada Wide does not mean you can call any number in Canada as though it is a local number. If you are in Vancouver calling Toronto you need to add the 1.... ie 1-416-123-4567

edited by comptuergeek541: phone number removed

Selba

Once I did the second step for adding the minutes and rebooted it was okay.  

oglat

@Selba wrote:

So maybe I added the minutes wrong, and I also had missed the second step on the addon, it's all good now.  Thanks very much guys you are all awesome.  Have a grand evening. 

Hi @Selba 

I don't think it will help he still has minutes his calls should goo through even without the addon

@Selba wrote:

So maybe I added the minutes wrong, and I also had missed the second step on the addon, it's all good now.  Thanks very much guys you are all awesome.  Have a grand evening. 

So you got it up and running again ? What did you do to get it going ?

Selba

oglat

Hi @Selba 

Can he call voicemail?

Can he call 611?

@Selba 

In his overview page, do you see something similar to the following;

Pasted Graphic.png

You should see the 100 minutes and 500 minutes talk add on.  Then you should be able to talk outgoing.  

Selba

I have done the airplane mode, reboot etc. still no go.

oglat

@Selba wrote:

I just added on 500 mins how long does it take to take effect?

Hi @Selba 

You didn't need to do that, he shoulds have enough, but it won't hurt

Please ask him to restart the phone with public sim inside

Also he should try different numbers, make sure he is not misdialing

Parv

If he is on $10 or $15 plan , he might have consumed the minutes for current month. No worries, just get an add-on for $5 which will give him 500 minutes and they get transferred to the next month if are underutilized.

Selba

Texting works, he can take incoming calls just can't call out.

@Selba wrote:

Immediately.  But, if you counter shows only used 28 minutes, you really did not need to buy it for now.  Might be a good idea to have for the future though.  

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Immediately, but buying an add-on is a two step process. Add the funds then select the addon. If you did both, you should be up and running.

@Selba 

Then his phone should be able to call Cdn wide number.  Is his phone able to receive calls?  text in and out?  

Try rebooting the phone.

Turn airplane mode on, wait a few minutes, then turn off.  

Selba

oglat

@Selba wrote:

He is on the 15 dollar plan 100 minutes but has only used about 28 mins.

Can he restart the phone with public sim inside and then try couple of different numbers to call

Also make sure that he is not misdialing too

oglat

@Selba wrote:

Let me check.

Hi @Selba 

If your husband is on15 plan he can open an account with textnow, they will give him unlimited calling to usa and Canada and free Canadian number, je had enough data to run it.

If he is using 10 plan, the best option is to add 500min for b$5, whatever he doesn't use up will roll over to the next month

Selba

He is on the 15 dollar plan 100 minutes but has only used about 28 mins.

Selba

Let me check.

@Selba 

Is he on the limited talk plans?  Either $10 or $15?  He may ran out of minutes.  That is the common message when someone ran out of minutes

Do you see the minutes counter in the overview page, under add ons?  If you don't see the talk add on, you may have ran out of minutes.  You could buy the $5 talk add on for 500 Cdn minutes (unused minutes roll over to next month). 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Selba wrote:

Hi,

I am asking this question for my husband as he is not computer savvy. We have been on Public Mobile the past few months and are very happy.  Tonight my husband tried to call our son and got a voice message saying `your plan is not setup for long distance calls you can dial bla bla bla number to setup long distance`.  His plan has Canada wide calling.  Can someone tell me what is wrong please?

Thanks,

Selba

If your hubby is on $10 or $15 plan...is it possible he's used up his minutes ? If so, he can consider getting the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on to your plan. Any unused minutes at renewal roll over until he's used them up...even if it takes a couple of years to do it.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Is his plan unlimited?

Need Help? Let's chat.