cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data was lost without me noticing

Wzeitoun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son played with the connection on my modem at home and my cellular data switched on without me knowing. A lot of my data  was used That day without me knowing. Is there anything I can do about it?

14 REPLIES 14

Wzeitoun
  • Thanks soooo useful! 

@Wzeitoun 

I am on the $15 plan with only 250 MB of data so if ANYTHING unexpectedly starts using my data it is easily gone until my next plan renewal. I have started turning data off and then on only when I am out and might need it. There seem to be lots of things trying to use a bit here and a bit there.

I have told this before but here goes again. Before I came to PM I was on a plan with 1 GB of data pr month. More than enough except the summer months when at our cabin with no wifi. I connected my laptop computer to my phone as I had to send an email on what turned out to be the morning of my new month of data. I forgot to disconnect the computer and 10-15 minutes later i got a 75% data used text. By the time I got it disconnected it had used over 85% of my 1 GB uploading a bunch of pictures to the cloud.  All before noon with 30 1/2 days left in the month and little more than 100 MB remaining. Now years later I still turn everything to do with “the Cloud” OFF permanently and I watch my data consumption very closely.

AE_Collector

Wzeitoun

thats awesome! Thank u

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just to add, you can login to My Account and monitor your account status, including how many minutes and Data you've used and have remaining.  This might be helpful from time to time, especially since the "monthly" cycle with Public Mobile is 30 days as opposed to an regular month.

@Wzeitoun  no worry.. enjoy the Data.    It's fun but it's also not of work  🙂 

You might want to turn off Mobile Data when not needed.   If you are on Android, some phones allow this as a choice on the Quick Menu for easy access. 

Also, you might look into into restricting some background download while on Mobile Data (like no Apps update, etc). and select no video download on Mobile Data within app settings (like Youtube, Netflix  , etc)

Wzeitoun

First time ever getting a plan with data lol

just googled it and thanks i got it :)!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wzeitoun : Your phone should certainly have a way to turn off mobile data. How new are you? 🙂

Your phone likely also has a way to flip over to mobile data when wifi is lost even when mobile data is off. Also selectable although depending on what phone you have it could be a bit deep.

Wzeitoun

Where can i find that toggle button! Im new to all this lol

@Wzeitoun 

Unfortunately you have had to learn the hard way on this one....but as they say we learn our greatest lessons by our biggest mistakes. Leaving mobile data toggled off isn't always practical even at home.

Instead make use of all the data management tools in your phone to not only prevent accidental usage but wasted usage as well. Employ the following options.

1. Set your data tracker to the correct dates of your plan's 30 day cycle.
  2. Enable your data saver and/or turn off the wifi assist/booster setting.
  3. Turn off all background data usage in each apps data usage settings.
  4.  Set your data usage warning. ( I have mine set to 25% of my plan data.*)
  5. Then set your data limiter. (Mine is set to 50% of my plan data.**)
  6. Check in each individual app's settings to turn off video content or limit it to wifi only.

*Public mobile will send you data usage warnings at 75% and 95% of all data on your account. **Not just plan data. So depending on how much add on data you may have those warnings will do little to  prevent accidental or purposeful high data usage. This is where making practical use of your data warning and limiter and resetting when needed can be a real life saver....or should I say data saver!!.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Wzeitoun wrote:

My son played with the connection on my modem at home and my cellular data switched on without me knowing. A lot of my data  was used That day without me knowing. Is there anything I can do about it?

@Wzeitoun 

Sorry to it hear it!

I have been stuck with my WIFI off on my device, unknowingly, too! Sucked up data from right underneath me.

I cannot see there is anything Public Mobile can do unfortunately. You could beg the Public  Mobile Moderators for some Good Will data, but they really have no basis to provide it to you.

Leave the data toggle OFF on your device at all times, UNTIL you need to use it. IT is really the only way to not lose data accidentally.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Wzeitoun wrote:

You should put a sticker on your modem, router, or gateway to remind others of what disconnecting it, can do. 

ie:

May flip all devices on wifi back to data if that is how you have your phone set up. 

Will shut down home phone if VOIP. 

Will shut down TV service. 

I don't know how many times I have been on phone with Telus with internet issues and they fail to tell me that they are rebooting the router remotely and ....bingo....no more phone connection. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wzeitoun : I would say not. The fiddling with your home modem and the phone setting to turn on cell data when wifi is not there would be outside the responsibility of the provider.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Wzeitoun wrote:

The use of your PM data is controlled with the setting in the phone, not your modem. You can turn OFF data in the phones setting and data won't be used regardless of modem settings.

You can buy a data add-on (1GB for $15) to use now until your next renewal...or just use wifi.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

what kind of phone is yours? 

Phones these days have smart networks setting.  when it does not connect well on WiFi, it will start using the Data.   you might want to look into disabling that. 

For me, I always turn off mobile data at home, just in case 

Need Help? Let's chat.