cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account has been stolen HELP!

rubitami
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My mobile account has just been stolen, I can't call or receive call since this morning, nor have my data available. The robber has also stoled my paypal account.

What can I do?

32 REPLIES 32

@rubitami  Your very welcome. Sorry to see you go...in an emergency situation an online only model doesn't work. But that is also an unusual situation. Ironically in my situation I was able to get more done online to get cards cancelled etc....than up to 2 hour waits on the phone when reporting card stolen and my banks fraud department. But go with what best suits your needs.

rubitami

Thank you!

I have done all the security changes.

I will definitely change to a company where I can talk to a real person.

Thanks for you help!

@rubitami wrote:

Thank you for your advice.

Now, how can I reactivate my account? I don't trust Public Mobile anymore. If I reactivate my account with the same number, is it risky? I don't know if I should go with another company.

All this is insane!

@rubitami  Indeed it is insane. I don't think I would want the same number even if you coud get it back. You certainly wouldnt be able to get it back right now as you only know the phone number and no other account detail. Concentrate in getting a phone working again. Even waiting for a moderator at this point to help should be put off...rewards if substantial can be dealt with later as I don't think they can resurrectvan account unless you've been told they can.If you were just on a regular account for awhile I would check to see (as of now there is no expiration on the 2nd month free promo) and go get a SIM card or go to Wal-Mart to see if they offer a free one and activate on the promo so at least get a free month. Bump up your plan and downgrade on your next renewal to get the most value. ie. $40>$25 or $25>$15. But hurry it could expire at any time. You can contact the moderators later about ph# recovery and reward replacement if possible.

Public Mobile or any provider would not been able to stop the sim jacking (except maybe rogers) so dont let your trust in pm be eroded.

I hope you've protected yourself from further identity fraud issues...call the credit bureaus for a 7 year fraud alert...im a victim myself if you need further advice you can pm me.

rubitami

Thank you for your advice.

Now, how can I reactivate my account? I don't trust Public Mobile anymore. If I reactivate my account with the same number, is it risky? I don't know if I should go with another company.

All this is insane!

@Anonymous wrote:

How easy is it to reply back with "unsubscribe"? The same mechanism could be used to reply back with "Yes". 24 hour time limit. After that it defaults to a failure to port. Until then the port doesn't happen until it gets a Yes.

Not possible to text when porting a landline...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think porting should require an actual response confirmation. Not just notification that a port is about to happen. It's the last line. If someone has acquired your information then you should still be able to say no in a reasonable amount of time.

I totally agree with this. As quick and painless as my port from Rogers to PM was, it was a little disconcerting that the only notification from Rogers was a text stating the following  immediately preceeding the port, after which my old SIM was dead.

"Rogers has received a request to transfer your telephone number to another Service Provider. If you did not authorize, contact Rogers urgently at 1-800-588-6718"

My thought at the time was what if I received that message and I did NOT intentially port my number? Now my phone is dead and I theoretically would have no means to call that 1-800 number! Robot surprised

If carriers didn't allow the port to go through in he normal timeframe, people would then be complaining that the carriers are using anti-competitive techniques to avoid releasing the phone number to the new carrrier. When people port out, it's not always to keep the phoen number, but sometimes to avoid needing to talk to the old carrier to get that service cancelled.

How easy is it to reply back with "unsubscribe"? The same mechanism could be used to reply back with "Yes". 24 hour time limit. After that it defaults to a failure to port. Until then the port doesn't happen until it gets a Yes.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think porting should require an actual response confirmation. Not just notification that a port is about to happen. It's the last line. If someone has acquired your information then you should still be able to say no in a reasonable amount of time.

I totally agree with this. As quick and painless as my port from Rogers to PM was, it was a little disconcerting that the only notification from Rogers was a text stating the following  immediately preceeding the port, after which my old SIM was dead.

"Rogers has received a request to transfer your telephone number to another Service Provider. If you did not authorize, contact Rogers urgently at 1-800-588-6718"

My thought at the time was what if I received that message and I did NOT intentially port my number? Now my phone is dead and I theoretically would have no means to call that 1-800 number! Robot surprised

If carriers didn't allow the port to go through in he normal timeframe, people would then be complaining that the carriers are using anti-competitive techniques to avoid releasing the phone number to the new carrrier. When people port out, it's not always to keep the phoen number, but sometimes to avoid needing to talk to the old carrier to get that service cancelled.

Agree.  Providers will try to talk people to stay. One hour waiting on the phone and 10 minutes when they pass people to the retention department.  Then, finally to the cancelation department.

@Nezgar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nezgar  I have to give it to Rogers for at least notifying you. I've ported from telus, freedom and fido. There were no notifications from any of them. The only one to acknowledge the port was telus who sent me a "sorry to see you go" email 24 hours later.

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@rubitami  Was your renewal last night?

Sorry you lost me here.  How is renewal last night relevant?

@will13am  I just wanted to rule out that it wasn't an autopay or renewal failure unrelated to the PayPal theft. If  you've been simjacked there's really nothing that can be done here. It seems the OP figured that out pretty quickly.. It's bank, credit card companies, trans union and Equifax to start.

If someone has taken over my PayPal account, I really don't worry much about how my cell account renewed.  Two totally different problems.

@will13am  Yes of course. Realizing no services meant no account+PayPal take over=identity fraud vs bad renewal/autopay failure and unrelated PayPal security issue. Makes you want to check your PayPal account and change passwords just to be safe.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  I just wanted to rule out that it wasn't an autopay or renewal failure unrelated to the PayPal theft. If  you've been simjacked there's really nothing that can be done here. It seems the OP figured that out pretty quickly.. It's bank, credit card companies, trans union and Equifax to start.

If someone has taken over my PayPal account, I really don't worry much about how my cell account renewed.  Two totally different problems.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

So what exactly is SIMjacking?

I can understand that someone with your self serve login info can steal your phone number by loging in and changing the SIM to a PM sim that they have in their hand. But what do they then do with that? Get around banks verifying transactions with you by voice at text to your phone presumably?

Rather than the above if they only know your SIM number can they create a duplicate of it to potentially create a copy of your phone?

Any other scenarios I am missing?

AE_Collector

SIM jacking is when someone ports out your number without your permission from let's say PM to Lucky. Once that happens you lose access to your number and if your email has also been compromised and passwords have been changed your identity theft nightmare begins.

@rubitami   Hopefully, the cell phone carrier they ported your number out to has security measures to block the transmission of short codes via text, thereby preventing the resetting of email/banking passwords for 2-3 days after porting, to prevent/reduce situations such as yours. For example, when I ported my number into PM, I was not able to receive short codes for transit and banking (2FA) for 2 days. Follow the steps to secure your identity, PayPal, contact moderators, and RCMP (if you deem necessary) as suggested by other memebers. Good luck!

niryanc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The RCMP manages the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and on their website they suggest that victims of fraud should:

1. Report the fraud incident to you local police department

2. Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

Details about this are available at http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am wrote:

Call the RCMP?  Really?  They don't care about threats to property, only to life.  Also why the RCMP?

If you were to call anyone you'd call the local police, but they're just as useless. RCMP have bigger fish to fry.

@AE_Collector wrote:

I can understand that someone with your self serve login info can steal your phone number by loging in and changing the SIM to a PM sim that they have in their hand. But what do they then do with that? Get around banks verifying transactions with you by voice at text to your phone presumably?

Rather than the above if they only know your SIM number can they create a duplicate of it to potentially create a copy of your phone?

AE_Collector

SIM jacking is when someone ports out your number without your permission from let's say PM to Lucky. Once that happens you lose access to your number and if your email has also been compromised and passwords have been changed your identity theft nightmare begins.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Identity theft everywhere these days

Because people are far too unconcerned giving away their private information.

Then the companies letting clever people social engineer them.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Identity theft everywhere these days

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@rubitami wrote:

Thank you,

the strange thing is that they stole the phone number, not the physical phone (wich I have in hands). I suppose this is a new trend for identity fraud.

Thank you!

@rubitami  Yes, it's called SIMjacking so someone ported your number out of PM to another provider? If yes, it means that they had access to your PM account number, name on the account and phone number. If they have control of your PayPal then they have control of your email. Call your bank and cc companies and inform them and put a freeze on all of them.

Good luck!!

@rubitami wrote:

Thank you,

the strange thing is that they stole the phone number, not the physical phone (wich I have in hands). I suppose this is a new trend for identity fraud.

Thank you!

That's because codes are sent by text to your number for password resets.

rubitami

Thank you,

Thank you!

@darlicious wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@rubitami wrote:

My mobile account has just been stolen, I can't call or receive call since this morning, nor have my data available. The robber has also stoled my paypal account.

What can I do?

Then call RCMP.

Call the RCMP?  Really?  They don't care about threats to property, only to life.  Also why the RCMP?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

OP is not staying to answer our questions or find out what to do...

I'm with will13am...identity and money is far more important than this place and service.

popping

OP is not staying to answer our questions or find out what to do...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@rubitami , if your PayPal account has been stolen, then I would try to secure that ahead of recovering your cell line.  Have the payment cards suspended and notify PayPal of the security breach.  To recover the cell line, you should simply declare the phone lost which will suspend the service.  Get a new SIM card and do a SIM card replacement.  

Note to all customers, as a security measure, have a spare SIM card or two handy to do SIM swaps quickly in case of loss of phone.  Never keep any old emails around that would link the email account to a phone carrier.  This will prevent any thieves from being able to reset phone acount access.  

popping

@rubitami wrote:

What can I do?

Is your phone connected to PM network? emergency call only?

Is your account status active?

Need Help? Let's chat.