cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account got hacked!?!? I don't know what to do

Canadian33
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was going to use my phone, and I got the message that the sim was not registered. I go have a look at my account online, I have a balance of 25$ yesturday in it. not it is at zero, plus I see in transaction history there was a top up of 50$ done with my credit card on file and then 5 ''data add on of 15 $ each'' for 75$ spent today from my account. I can't even use my phone now and of course I can't talk to anyone over the phone.. I don't know what to do!?!?.. I am LIVID. 

16 REPLIES 16

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I use a koho card for my auto pay. You can load as little or as much $5,000 I think but I just usually have enough to cover my plan just in case I forget to pay with a voucher. You can also lock the card easily from the app.

@Canadian33 

It sounds like they were not very smart.....and quite easily traced if you wanted to do your own detective work as unfortunately this would be very low priority for the police but maybe high priority for you to figure where the security risk came from for your account. Understandably you would not want to have a credit card on file but you can actually solve this very simply. To be safe it would be best to cancel your current card and have a new one issued. By cancelling it you can safely leave it on your account with no fear of it being able to be used but it can remain for your autopay reward. Then just top up your account with vouchers each month. Shortly after I switched to public along with my bf and roommate i had my purse stolen. I replaced my card on my account and the bf but my roommate took over six months to finally get a koho card for his account and we left my "stolen" card on there for the autopay reward and he continued to pay by voucher. Even now I've switched the bf's account to a kelloggs issued visa gift card with an original $5 balance now $0.52 and we top it up with vouchers (from London drugs so we save 5% with LD Extras.)

@Canadian33 wrote:

My account got hacked by someone in another province today. The person changed the sim card associated with my account to theirs and used my credit card I had on my account so purchase 75$ worth of data add on. However he or she was not to bright because they didn't change my log in credentials so I was able to regain access change my info, remove my credit card from there, program another public mobile sim card to regain control of my number. Now I am trying to get the 75$ credited back to my account. However I'm worried... How could that have hapenned.. from another province... I was able to tell because I had access to activitiy  history and I saw where he or she called and texted... Is public mobile safe.... Anyway im never putting my credit card info in my account again that's for sure, and I better get credited the 75$. 😞 

For your future payments you can get payment vouchers at Canada Tire type of store...Shell Gas has them as do most retail convenience stores. Then add them to your account by dialing 611. Just make sure the vouchers are "activated" right away as some take a few hours after sale to be usable.

You can use a one-time payment with your cc by dialing 611.

You can consider reputable on-line payment service such as recharge.com or ding.com.

Canadian33

My account got hacked by someone in another province today. The person changed the sim card associated with my account to theirs and used my credit card I had on my account so purchase 75$ worth of data add on. However he or she was not to bright because they didn't change my log in credentials so I was able to regain access change my info, remove my credit card from there, program another public mobile sim card to regain control of my number. Now I am trying to get the 75$ credited back to my account. However I'm worried... How could that have hapenned.. from another province... I was able to tell because I had access to activitiy  history and I saw where he or she called and texted... Is public mobile safe.... Anyway im never putting my credit card info in my account again that's for sure, and I better get credited the 75$. 😞 

@Canadian33 

If you've taken everyone's advice and changed your password , security questions etc...your account is relatively protected and number safe from porting but someone has gained access to your account in order to change the sim card. Do you know of anyone who would know your email address and your password? Access to adding funds and purchasing add ons can be done by calling your phone number but changing the sim card can only be done by accessing your account. If the aim was to port out your number there would be no point in adding data....someone wanted a free plan and lots of data......

@Canadian33 

Check to see if your last four digits of your sim card match what's in your account.....

@CS_Agent  some early intervention in this situation would be helpful.....

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

Change password change recovery questions change name and ask moderators to change login to allternative email or one of aliases.

They probably changed the sim and most likely charged your number, see with the moderators if they can revert it.

Ask mods to revert add-ons

@Canadian33 wrote:

Nah it wasn't me and I live alone, no one has access to my laptop. and I definately didn't do a 50.00$ top up today.. I allready had money in my account for my next's month fee, plus I still had data left, I didnt even attempt to add data. I was not even I home.. I noticed the problem when my phone stopped working and it says my sim isnt registered on network. 

Keep an eye on all your credit card transactions ....make sure any purchases are legit. If not....call your bank.

Canadian33

Nah it wasn't me and I live alone, no one has access to my laptop. and I definately didn't do a 50.00$ top up today.. I allready had money in my account for my next's month fee, plus I still had data left, I didnt even attempt to add data. I was not even I home.. I noticed the problem when my phone stopped working and it says my sim isnt registered on network. 

@Canadian33 wrote:

im doing all that now, it is my first time opening a ticket or had any problems in two years.. first time in the community section today. I somehow think that maybe it was a glitch with the new product 1gb for 15$... I absolutely did not need 5 top up of 1GB on my account and I did not authorized the 50$ top up... plus my sim is not working.. I sent a ticket for the sim, now sending a ticket for the unauthorized transaction

@Canadian33   If you were trying to purchase the 1GB data add-on, is it possible that you inadvertently clicked on + sign to make your purchase multiples of the same add-on instead of a single purchase? 

Either way if it's a mistake, moderators are usually understanding and should be able to remove the extra data add-on from your account, but since refunds can take upto a month or more, you may find that they will add it as a credit to your account which will then be used to pay for your future renewals.

Canadian33

im doing all that now, it is my first time opening a ticket or had any problems in two years.. first time in the community section today. I somehow think that maybe it was a glitch with the new product 1gb for 15$... I absolutely did not need 5 top up of 1GB on my account and I did not authorized the 50$ top up... plus my sim is not working.. I sent a ticket for the sim, now sending a ticket for the unauthorized transaction

@Canadian33 immediately  place your phone on lost/ stolen to prevent it being ported.

20200504_182846.jpg

And change your name on the account. It could be any name ie Donald Duck. This also prevents porting.

@Canadian33 wrote:

a top up of 50$ from my credit card on file plus 5 transtaction of data add on totalling 75$ (I allready had a 25$ balance available) was done today on my account without my consent PLUS my phone is not working it says that my SIM card in not registered on network...... I AM LIVID. What should I do now... 

@Canadian33   You have already submitted a ticket to moderators about this as advised in your other thread, I hope?

If not here's the link to submit a ticket to moderators via SIMon: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Canadian33 contact moderators by clicking ? bottom right corner ask Simon to speak to a human this will help generate a ticket to speak with the moderators mention account hacked response time is 2 to 48 hours also change password for your account good luck!!

Canadian33

a top up of 50$ from my credit card on file plus 5 transtaction of data add on totalling 75$ (I allready had a 25$ balance available) was done today on my account without my consent PLUS my phone is not working it says that my SIM card in not registered on network...... I AM LIVID. What should I do now... 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Canadian33 wrote:

I was going to use my phone, and I got the message that the sim was not registered. I go have a look at my account online, I have a balance of 25$ yesturday in it. not it is at zero, plus I see in transaction history there was a top up of 50$ done with my credit card on file and then 5 ''data add on of 15 $ each'' for 75$ spent today from my account. I can't even use my phone now and of course I can't talk to anyone over the phone.. I don't know what to do!?!?.. I am LIVID. 

Need Help? Let's chat.