cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SUCCESSFUL porting experience from WIND today!

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Intrigued? hehe ...

After dinner perhaps 😉

(spoiler) It was a smooth sailing for two lines. Just pay attention and  

do not make any  silly mistakes

(even though the PM self-serve portal is incredibly dumb and infested with bugs,

but you can outsmart it, believe in urlself!  🙂 )

14 REPLIES 14

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Glad that it worked out for you.

MVP

@Mana wrote:
Lol, it's an automated process performed online when you enter your porting request online. Some times when all information is not entered as expected by the program, porting may fail.

One of my successfully ported lines reported a failed port in the beginning ... "please contact us" ... etc. But nevertheless it came through as a fully functioning line  a half an hour later. Either the error causing "failed" message was insignificant, or there was a Godly correcting hand of "a basement dude with an ipad"  🙂 behind.

Or maybe there was a timely intervention by  one of our never-sleeping moderators?

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Lol, it's an automated process performed online when you enter your porting request online. Some times when all information is not entered as expected by the program, porting may fail.

MVP

@inPicton wrote:

Thanks for that, Mana. 

Is this "porting" done by computers, or is some guy in his parents' basement on his iPad?

I'm guessing that PM selfe-serve system first attempts a fully automated port-in process, 

and if it reports "success", this is the (happy) end of the story. 

One of my lines reported "failed, contact us", but started working in half an hour nevertheless..

Not sure is there was a "basemend dude with an ipad" behind the scenes, who swiftly corrected the process 🙂

MVP

@inPicton wrote:

"

Again, noticed that notorious bug when the value from the  obligatory field "alternative number" 

propagates up into the field "number being ported". Had to correct that manually."

What does "alternative number" mean? The number that's being ported?

I signed up last night. Did not port at that time, took a temporaty number. Am going to port tonight.

Regards, Paul.

-

Alternative number is an obligatory field (marked with an asterisk), but not submitted to your old cellphone provider. I'm guessing it is just for contact info (like ur home number or ur friend's number) if something goes wrong.

A weird and dangerous bug  of PM self-serve software is when you fill in this "alternate number"  field, the value propagates up into the previously filled "number to be ported". If you do not double check the latter,  you are effectively trying to port in ur home number or better yet, ur friend's number... 🙂

I'm guesing  a large number of failed automated porting attempts is caused by this bug 

inPicton
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for that, Mana. 

Is this "porting" done by computers, or is some guy in his parents' basement on his iPad?

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Alternative number is just another number where they can contact you. It is not the number that you are porting.

So please do not put the number you want to port in the alternative number field.

Thank you.

inPicton
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

"

Again, noticed that notorious bug when the value from the  obligatory field "alternative number" 

propagates up into the field "number being ported". Had to correct that manually."

What does "alternative number" mean? The number that's being ported?

I signed up last night. Did not port at that time, took a temporaty number. Am going to port tonight.

Regards, Paul.

MVP

Here you go. Succesfully ported in a third  phone nomber, this time from Koodo (postpaid).

Provided Koodo account # only, and the name on the account

(and obviously the phone # being ported). Self-serve repotted "success".

The number was up and running on  the new PM SIM in 2  mins tops! 

propagates up into the field "number being ported". Had to correct that manually.

Maybe it is the major source of failed ports-ins (people often  do not look back at the form fields they have already completed) ? 

Cheers.

cheeseburger

@MVP

It's nice to read a good news story.

Congratulations on being one of the thousands who didn't experience any issues moving to PM.

MVP

So, briefly, for those interested:

I had two lines already activated during last promo, today I took a plunge and ported both numbers from WIND (same account). The info I supplied was the following (same for both lines):

- WIND account # (no dashes)

- Phone  # to be ported

- PIN (was hesitant about this one, but finally provided it too).

- Autorization name (as in WIND's bill)

Ported one line, selfe-serve said "success", it took ~5 mins for the number to show up in PM SIM,

then in ~30 mins  ported another line, this time PM self-serve said "failed, please contact us",

but in a few mins the second line started to work too ...  

General warning! DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check all the fields in the forms before you  SUBMIT!

For example, when I filled in the "alternate number" field, it propagated to the "number being ported" field on top, for some weird reason. I had to come back and correct the latter one. Also, I hit a few times "check eligibility" button just to make sure that the correct number is in place where it is supposed to be.

So,   the lesson is: even if it is very buggy, it will work if you are careful enough!

Good luck, and hope this info is of some help for someone.

MVP

Yeah, as I said, more details later,

but seriously what is this s**t!

Public Mobile should  immediately spend a few k$ on fixing their portal!

It is just atrocious now! Bugs  jumping on top of the other  bugs! 

Actually, Wind went out like gone of the Wind

Freedom snuck in, though same flavor, nothing really new

rkreddyb4u

same nice experience for me as well a month back from rogers to public - just pay attention.

The best thing to do is during activation, activate with any new mobile number, after the activation is completed, login to selfserve and use the phone number change tab to portin the Phone number. just works fine 100% perfectly.

Need Help? Let's chat.